Do they still make guns that use .22 short?

This is a discussion on Do they still make guns that use .22 short? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This has nothing to do with self-defense, so please don't tell me how weak the ammo is. I was just surprised when I was in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Do they still make guns that use .22 short?

This has nothing to do with self-defense, so please don't tell me how weak the ammo is. I was just surprised when I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and saw that they still sell the ammo for these. But I haven't seen any guns in years that take this ammo. Does anyone know if there are any current models?

NAA .22 Short Mini-Revolver North American Arms

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    a Henry lever action will take IIRC 24 shorts, 21 L and 16 or 17 LR ( i aint gettin up to check)

and as BacknBlack said--the NAA. which is a totally neat gun for the beach. fits in that little pouch in men's trunks and washes up no problem.
    though i would not go looking for the beach bully, if he got me in a headlock--his bloodline ends there
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Beretta made a 950 Minx. Still some floating around out there.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    My Remington Speedmaster does 22 short, 22 long & 22 long rifle. The shorts are great for critter-zapping without alarming the neighbors.

GOOGLE it!

Google
    Motto of the Lance Nuclear Missile System: :Nuke em till they glow, then shoot them in the dark!

Quote Originally Posted by safetyguy60 View Post
    GOOGLE it!
    I did google it. Did that before I posted. Couldn't find a good answer, specifically for pistols, and didn't want to spend the next hour looking through random results when somebody around here probably knows the answer. And I was right, got an answer in minutes and I've been able to pull up NAA's website and look at their little revolver. Truthfully, I'd prefer a semi-auto. I've seen some older ones shown on youtube, such as the little Beretta. but I was hoping to find something a little newer.

However, correct me if I'm wrong, I see no reason I couldn't fire .22 shorts out of my Walther P22 if I loaded them one at a time in the chamber, right? The reason I'm interested in doing this is that I'm planning to do some more scientific tests on different .22 ammo than what I see on youtube. I'd love to throw in a .22 short for comparison.

Administrator
    The Remington Nylon 66 (buy one IF you can get a sweet deal on a vintage one in nice condition) will handle .22 Short, Long, or Long Rifle.

They no longer make it, but I shoot a fair amount of .22 shorts in my Winchester 1890 Pump, made in 1918 which is labeled ".22 Short" and not designed for Long or LR.
    sgb likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

I run 22 short in my 10/22 for Ferrel cats at the house, of course it is a single shot rifle using it.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

AFAIK you can shoot 22 shorts in any gun chambered in 22 long rifle,the problem is when used in a semi auto it won't work the action so it becomes a single shot,I have my Dads old rifle and it's chambered in short,long,long rifle,it has a bolt knob you push in to lock the bolt when shooting shorts,then manually chamber each round
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I shoot 22 shorts through my revolvers all the time - perfect.

I have a semi-auto made in the 50s that shoots nothing but .22 short.

Titan22POS.JPG

It's not worth much other than a paperweight or just a neato old piece of history. I like shooting .22 shorts out of my Remington Fieldmaster pump .22. Load up once and shoot all day.

I don't know if they make any other current models that are designed solely for use with the .22 short, but Browning made a little semi-auto rifle that was designated for this round only (my Dad has one). They used to kill hogs with it when he grew up on the farm.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    However, correct me if I'm wrong, I see no reason I couldn't fire .22 shorts out of my Walther P22 if I loaded them one at a time in the chamber, right?

Careful here, you could potentially break an extractor if your loading them in the pipe and letting the slide close on them. The extractor is designed for the round to come up from the magazine, not to ride over the rim of the round.

I've got a .22 chipmunk that shoots them. But since my neighbors are so close I got a .22 airgun to deal with varmints.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links