Need to pick yalls brains

This is a discussion on Need to pick yalls brains within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've got a Helper I sold a handgun to a few months ago. Now he is going though a divorce and so he asked if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Need to pick yalls brains

Need to pick yalls brains

I've got a Helper I sold a handgun to a few months ago. Now he is going though a divorce and so he asked if I would hang on to the gun. He didn't want any trouble from his wife’s lawyer. And he would get it back after the divorce was over.

Well today he called and said that he told his lawyer that he sold the gun to me. Now the lawyer wants to see a copy of the bill of sale. So my helper asked me to make a bill of sale for him.

I don’t feel right about this. What do yall think about it???????

Daniel

2. Remove Ads

Just have him sell it back to you for real and when its all over he can buy it back. No harm there if its legit.

PS i am not a lawyer
    oneshot likes this.

Did you get a bill of sale when you sold it to him the first time?

Don't get yourself caught up in to having to lie if asked under oath...his gun, his wife, his divorce...you don't want to be thrown under the 'legal bus'.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Do not intentionally put yourself between a rock and a hard place.
    JOHNSMITH likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Administrator
    A bill of sale is a good idea, but there is nothing that requires it. Tell the lawyer to pound sand. Or he can sell it to you for a few dollars and write something up.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I would not do a bill of sale unless money changed hands. Nothing in the bill of sale has to state the amount that changed hands. Buy it back for $1.00 and after the divorce is final sale it back to him for $1.00. All perfectly legal.
    Stubborn likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    yall are nice than i am, id buy it for a doller and charge a doller and a quarter to get it back
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Did you get a bill of sale when you sold it to him the first time?

Don't get yourself caught up in to having to lie if asked under oath...his gun, his wife, his divorce...you don't want to be thrown under the 'legal bus'.OMO
    Very sound advice. Though nothing is likely to happen, its best to not get too involved. If you have any contact with the lawyer, just stonewall him and tell him none of your business. That's not a lie and once you start lying it can only get worse.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Don't get yourself caught up in a divorce story. Make a legit purchase of the gun for "x" amount and resell the gun after the divorce is done for "x" amount. I'm not sure if it has to be registered to you after purchase but if it has to be I would make him pay for that are at least repay you for that as well.

Yeesh. As much as I'd want to help my friend, honestly I feel like doing a bill of sale right now is shady. I don't know the legal ramifications of any actions at this point, so I'd be tempted to just give it back to him...
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I have feelings about it based on my divorce.

I would say if you care about this guys situation at all...do him a favor and find a way in your heart to make it ok for him. Divorce is never fair and its never right when its being fought. Greed and Hurt feelings make people into ugly monsters!!!

Selling it back at a 25 cent profit could cause the wonderful ATF to charge you with gun dealing without a license

This reminds me of an old story...

Gus is looking for a nice winter beater used car when he sees an add for a 1 year old Mercedes Bentz for $300 bucks.
    Figuring it must be some kind if junker he goes to the house for a look and all he sees is a beautiful new high end MB ni the drive so he knocks on the door.
    A lovely lady answers and he inquires about the car she has posted for sale. She points to the one in the drive and says "Thats it"
    Some what skeptical he asks if it runs and if he can take it for a drive.
    She says sure it runs and tosses him the keys saying bring it back when you are done.....
    The car drives like a dream, and is as beautiful inside as out. When he returns he tells her in all honesty that car is worth a heck of a lot more than 300 bucks.
    Where as she said it was here husbands car, he has absconded with his secretary and had sent me a message, "sell my MB and send me the money", so she said I am asking 300 dollars do you want it or not.... He took it on the spot....

So how much did you say you paid for that gun.......
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    Selling it back at a 25 cent profit could cause the wonderful ATF to charge you with gun dealing without a license
    Nope, there is nothing that says you can't sell something used for a profit. Look at what a 65 Mustang in good condition will cost you now. Average going price is about $25,000. New they cost about $3,500.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    false actually, I sold a sigma for 300 dollers that i paid 100 dollers for in a ftf sale. perfectly legal. The seller made me an offer, I accepted, then a few months later after trying the gun out i sold it to my boss, he made me an offer, i accepted
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links