After a real shooting...

After a real shooting...

This is a discussion on After a real shooting... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some Sage advice from Massad Ayoob and a must see... After a Real Shooting – Guns & Ammo to highlight 5 point check list. After ...

Thread: After a real shooting...

Thumbs up After a real shooting...

Some Sage advice from Massad Ayoob and a must see... After a Real Shooting – Guns & Ammo

to highlight
    5 point check list. After calling 911

1. Officer this man attacked me.

2. I will sign the complaint.

3. Evidence is here.

4. Witnesses are there.

5. Officer you will have my full cooperation in 24 hours after I have spoken with counsel.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

That's pretty much what my friend (an attorney) told me to do.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Administrator
    I can agree with Mas. I think he hit it right. I do have one thing to add. IPut yourself in the LEO's boots who shows up to a shooting, not knowing what happened just yet. He has no clue if this was a murder or a self defense deal. He has a body on the sidewalk and you- thats it. One thing I would like is for you (the shooter) is to let me (the LEO)know that I don't need to be looking for any other suspects. Most people freak out at the prospect of "admitting" to shooting somebody. That's OK. I get that... but just say something like, everyone involved is still here, you don't need to be looking for a one armed bandit. That does not damage any defense you might need, and does not lead the LEO on a unnecessary goose chase.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks OP and SIXTO, not that I'm ever planning on having to use this simple and to the point advice but it is one of the biggest question for after the event.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I can agree with Mas. I think he hit it right. I do have one thing to add. IPut yourself in the LEO's boots who shows up to a shooting, not knowing what happened just yet. He has no clue if this was a murder or a self defense deal. He has a body on the sidewalk and you- thats it. One thing I would like is for you (the shooter) is to let me (the LEO)know that I don't need to be looking for any other suspects. Most people freak out at the prospect of "admitting" to shooting somebody. That's OK. I get that... but just say something like, everyone involved is still here, you don't need to be looking for a one armed bandit. That does not damage any defense you might need, and does not lead the LEO on a unnecessary goose chase.
    Mas has it right...and so does Sixto. I have worked many deathe investigations as a coroner and Medical Examiners Investigator. There is a psychological phenomenon called "Mark of Cain" dealing with the human mind in relation to killing another human. It plays a big role post shooting and kicks in pretty quickly afterwards. This could cause something like Sixto mentioned. You can do what Sixto is suggesting without incriminating yourself and probably still be OK.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Links