Practice with both eyes open

This is a discussion on Practice with both eyes open within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi All, Just wondering how many here practice shooting with both eyes open. I think for some when in a situation that you have to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Practice with both eyes open

Practice with both eyes open

Hi All,
    Just wondering how many here practice shooting with both eyes open. I think for some when in a situation that you have to draw and perhaps shoot you will have both eyes open. You will want to see the big picture around you. I know I would. When I target practice I try to do some with both eyes open. Not very easy.
    David

2. Remove Ads

When shooting my defensive handguns, Kimber 1911 and S&W 642, I always shoot with both eyes open. Only when shooting a rifle, or when shooting long range silhoutte pistols do/did I ever close one eye.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

+1 I agree. 90% of my handgun practice is not traditionally sighted fire.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Yup. I wish I could grow a third eye as well.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Since I'm not a target/bullseye shooter, I'm always two-eyes-open.

I'm rather strongly cross-dominant (right-handed, left-eye dominant), so shooting with both eyes open is almost impossible for me, in terms of getting "down to the bead" on my shotgun: I had to install a red-dot/reflex sight on my shotgun, to get things right.

I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other(just kidding) and i shoot with both eyes open.
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Quote Originally Posted by Own Defense View Post
    Hi All,
    Just wondering how many here practice shooting with both eyes open. I think for some when in a situation that you have to draw and perhaps shoot you will have both eyes open. You will want to see the big picture around you. I know I would. When I target practice I try to do some with both eyes open. Not very easy.
    David
    At my range I can practice both target and SD, draw with live fire, so I do both, the SD usually point-shoot at under 15' distances where you are focused on the target with both eyes of course. I never shoot target except with both eyes either.

For me, shooting with one eye has always been very uncomfortable. So, I'm the opposite of you. Instinctively, I keep both eyes open. For that reason, I don't like rifles.

All defensive shooting should be done with both eyes open. Closing one eye may be good for bullseye shooting, but it is not for defensive shooting. A quality defensive shooting course would teach you that.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    unless ur Capt Picard--eyes wide open

training for all possibilities means at some time you have 'played' with your non-dominant eye. suppose their shot missus you but stirs up years of dust from a shelf or shatter a perfume bottle causing your eyes to tear. anything i can think of can happen; and it is less likely to be adverse to you if you have practiced lots of different stuff. some where along the way practice begins to overlap. reinforce that.
    TSiWRX likes this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I was told to close my non-dominate eye by one of our range masters during my first quailification. I never knew I kept both eyes open until then. I did notice an improvement at 25 yards but still keep both open during the rest of the course.

I recently got the new trijicon hd night sights for my G27 and it had really helped with shooting with both eyes open. I'm left eye dominant right hand shooter so it helps to have that larger front sight and blacked out u notched rear.

Two eyes...use them both!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    unless ur Capt Picard--eyes wide open

training for all possibilities means at some time you have 'played' with your non-dominant eye. suppose their shot missus you but stirs up years of dust from a shelf or shatter a perfume bottle causing your eyes to tear. anything i can think of can happen; and it is less likely to be adverse to you if you have practiced lots of different stuff. some where along the way practice begins to overlap. reinforce that.
    +1.

I can shoot with both eyes open but due to an issue I have, I must squint the eye I'm not aiming with otherwise it is painful. If I am point shooting or the like where I don't need to focus on the front sight with one eye then I don't have a problem.

VIP Member
    How many people you know can close one eye when they're suddenly startled and scared to death? Most beginners will need to break tunnel vision focus on the weapon in order to concentrate on COM, and then break again to scan 360. Add lateral movement or diving for cover, and good luck with handicapping your vision. You can train to blink with the shot at night to avoid flash blindness, if you're using a slow burning powder out of a short barrel. In fast daylight gunsight shooting, you need to focus on the front sight with both eyes open in order to watch it rise and fall back anywhere into the rear notch for the flash sight picture and follow up shots. Against multiple lateral threats, the front sight will look like it's writing mmm's.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links