Ruger 10/22 tactical and redfield revolution scope. Cannot zero!!!

This is a discussion on Ruger 10/22 tactical and redfield revolution scope. Cannot zero!!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi. First time to the forum. I recently got a Ruger 10/22 VLEH Model 1230 with the Black Hogue OverMolded stock and the bipod and ...

Hi. First time to the forum. I recently got a Ruger 10/22 VLEH Model 1230 with the Black Hogue OverMolded stock and the bipod and a new Redfield Revolution 4-12 scope to mount on it. I used the same type rings and mounts that I have used on any number of other rifles I have. Problem is that I have run out of vertical adjustment and am still 5 1/2" low at 25 yds!!!! At 100yds I am about 12 1/2" low (plus or minus). Several different types of ammo were used. When I spoke to Redfield they said that this was a problem with the bull barrell that they are seeing on Ruger rifles (it got to where I didn't even listen how he said I should dismantle the rifle to MAYBE fix it). I explained to him that I then mounted an older Leupold Vari-X-III 2.5-8 and had absolutely not problem with zeroing and shooting a great group. He said, yea but how much did you have to adjust the Leupold? I don't remember that we had to do anything all the way to the stops. Seems that it was just a halfturn maybe...but that is not really apples to apples because I am not sure where that scope was to begin with. If I remember right the Leupold has less MOA of adjustment than the 50 MOA on the Redfield. Redfield said that I could shim the back or buy a base with a downward forward cant like a 20 MOA tactical base. Or they said I could send it to them to see if I was getting full travel. I am not going to shim this setup...I should not have to and I am not wild about spending another $30 for a 20 MOA base or am I interested in sending it to them for a check up! Any ideas? Has anyone heard of this problem with either the scope of the rifle or target barrels? Thanks, Bilbo

Head on over to RimfireCentral.com and read up on all there is to know about the 10/22.

A couple of general comments: The barrel attachment on the 10/22 is a 'spud' that's a slip fit into the receiver, and clamped in place by a 2-screw v-block affair. If the barrel is a loose fit in the receiver, it's possible for the barrel to "droop" relative to the receiver's centerline. There are various cures for this, ranging from simple shimming to threading barrel and receiver. Another phenomena affecting some 10/22s but not all is a casting 'bump' on the top of the receiver where the scope mount sits, which prevents the mount from sitting entirely flat/flush with the receiver. Either of these two situations will leave you with a scope whose sighting axis is higher than, and not parallel to, the barrel bore axis.

Starting with the scope in the center of its windage and elevation ranges there is no reason for your shots to be 5 inches low at 25 yards unless your scope is bent or the front and rear rings aren't the same height. Pull the mount off and check the top of the receiver with a straightedge to see if that casting 'bump' is there. If so, you can file it flat (it's not a huge deal, like maybe 0.010") then install a good base like the B-Square (the OEM Ruger base is a little cheesy).

Also, before you whip out the file, take the action out of the stock (just 1 screw does it, and don't forget to center the safety button) to check the barrel fit to the receiver. Loosen the 2 screws in the V-block and see if the barrel is a loose fit. It's not a press fit, more like a "running", line-to-line fit, but the point is there shouldn't be any up-and-down or side-to-side looseness. If there is, stop there and research the means to set it right.

Maybe I'm just a lucky guy, but on two 10/22s that I've scoped, they've been within an inch or two of dead on at 25 yards when first mounted.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

shim the rear base... thats what i did... worked fine.. no cost

Hi. I have checked with the base people (EGW), the rings people (Threadpro) and Redfield and they all said basically what you said relative to the barrel issue. I think I am going to get a EGW 20 MOA base that I hope will correct the issue. If not, after talking to Ruger tomorrow, I am going to send the rifle back to them. Best regards, Bilbo

Links