Opinions On Dan Wesson .357?

This is a discussion on Opinions On Dan Wesson .357? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A couple of weeks ago,I spotted a revolver at the local gun shop.The owner told me it is a Dan Wesson .357.Blue steel,really large grip,appeared ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Opinions On Dan Wesson .357?

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

A couple of weeks ago,I spotted a revolver at the local gun shop.The owner told me it is a Dan Wesson .357.Blue steel,really large grip,appeared to be wood.I was in a hurry so I did not handle it.The price was around $350.00.Anything I should look for?The gun has been fired but it looked good.Is this a good price?Not sure if I really need another .357,but it did catch my eye.He mentioned barrels that could be interchanged,but this gun only has the short barrel,it was a trade of some sort.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    If you don't buy it, I'm going to have it transferred to my FFL and buy it lol. Those are sweet pieces, I got to fire my buddy Dave's last week and I gotta tell you the trigger is sweet, the action is sweet, the recoil is sweet and the interchangeable barrels are, you guessed it, sweeet. You can use the same gun for target shooting with a long barrel, carry with a short or medium barrel or just keeping around the house as a home gun. You cannot pass that thing up. Just make sure the action is tight and within tolerances. Not sure what the DW tolerance is, but make sure its close. Check the bore for marks or striations that come from heavy use, best part about those guns is even if the gun has a shot up barrel, you can twist a new one on. Make sure the threads on the barrel are still strong and still deep. And make sure the cylinder dosen't rattle. If those are all good, you cant lose
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Anything with Dan Wesson's name on it is worth a look!
    swiftyjuan and Bullet1234 like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

GM
    For that price I should definitely look at it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Great price, I still regret selling my Dan Wesson. I had the 2”, 4” and 6” barrels, barrels are quick and easy to change and superbly accurate, IIRC be sure to set the barrel to cylinder gap to .015 if you do not get the gauge with it any automotive feeler gauge will work.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

jyo
    Back when I was the manager of the largest gunstore in my city, we sold many many Dan wesson revolvers and "Pistol Packs" (a cased set of revolver and several barrel lengths)---the Wesson guns were the MOST WARRANTED guns in the store---just my observation.

Senior Moderator
    The Dan Wessons are probably the most accurate production pistol made.I've owned several and currently own a 6"vent heavy .357 that is the most accurate revolver I have ever shot.

The problem with the Dans is that many people simply werent smart enough to own them. They do great until the barrel loosens up and shoots all over the place. Many people didnt use the feeler gage that came with them and they would tighten the barrel too much so that with a few cylinders of firing it the cylinder would quit turning due to the fouling. Others lost the barrel tightening tool that came with them and they would use screwdrivers and hammers to tighten or loosen them and they would tear up the thin barrel nut.

Some people would just shoot them until they quit shooting well and sell them to unsuspecting individuals or gun shops where the average clerk didnt have a clue.

I've bought two over the years that I got cheap...100 bucks for one and 150 for the other that shot like crap...right up until I cleaned them up, tightened up the barrel with the supplied gage. They shot like new revolvers from then on. I had a conversation with a gun clerk expert that didnt even know that the barrels were interchangable until I showed him, he insisted that they were cheaply made and that no one ever bought them.

They still hold some of the Silhouette records even today and it was on the silhouette shoots that they became famous, often outshooting every other gun in its class.

They are great guns. They are one of the few revolvers that can totally change the grip design and if one wants to go from an 8" hunting model to a 2" self defense model they can do it if they have the barrels.

They are very strong as far as handguns go.A friend of mine who was at one time the Arkansas State Champion Pistol shooter actually blew up a .44 magnum by double charging a handload. It trashed the frame and cylinder but he was unhurt. He called Dan Wesson and told them to send him a new frame as he blew his up with a handload. Most companies would have charged him for that but he was contacted by the then company president and told to send them his tore up frame.

They sent him a new one for no charge with a note on it saying that anyone that blew up a Dan Wesson .44 and lived to tell about lived a charmed life and deserved another chance. Granted, this was 25 years ago, but that sort of customer service was hard to beat.

Its a shame that they often received bad word service because some shooters simply got a tool that they werent capable of properly using, so of course it was the tools fault.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar

OK, you know I cannot resist

The barrel tools can be found on ebay or gunbroker (metal ones), CZ still sells them too but plastic grip.
    Also CZ has re-released one model in stainless.

OK, you know I cannot resist...

Dan Wesson Revolvers are becoming a fixation Picture Heavy
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    my bookkeeper has that same model in her desk with the 6"bbl on it. Offered it to me for $200 a while back. Has rust on it in places and needs a really good cleaning but she says it still fires fine. $350 is probably worth it for you.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Which store did you see this in?

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    The barrel tools can be found on ebay or gunbroker (metal ones), CZ still sells them too but plastic grip.
    Also CZ has re-released one model in stainless.

OK, you know I cannot resist...

Dan Wesson Revolvers are becoming a fixation Picture Heavy
    I had one back in the late '70s with the 2", 4" and 6" barrels.The 6" was my duty weapon. The department issue was .38 special but we could carry .357 as long as the ammo pouches on our belt contained .38 so that we could share with fellow officers if they ran out (never saw that happen). I just carried more .357 in a wallet type ammo case.

I loved the gun and wish I had never gotten rid of it. I would love to find one again.

Dan Wesson 357 Model 15-2

I have owned 3 357 Mag. Rossi, 971, Taurus 689, and Dan Wesson 15. I have shot the S&W, Ruger all in chambered in 357 and by far the Dan Wesson Model 15 shot the best, it has the best trigger feel and pull. It may be not the best looking Revolver in the world, but for fit and function I find it the best I have ever shot. In the end I sold the Rossi off and Taurus. I should have kept the 689 only because they did not make a lot them. I also find the Dan Wesson the easy to work on. Spring kits for the Dan Wesson are easy to find, Try and find a Spring kit for a Rossi, or even Taurus.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Yep, the wife had a Dan Wesson .44 mag. when we met and I have to say I like it better than the Smith and Wesson or Ruger in the same calibers. We have since picked up a Dan Wesson .357 mag. snub nose that we both love and wouldn't trade for anything. At $350 it's a good deal.

I was looking in the gun shop when I saw my Dan Wesson 357mag 4" Model 15-2 for under $300. I paid out the door was $289 with back ground check. I knew that I would never find that again. After a very good cleaning and new spring set it is far the best 357mag I have ever had or shot. I have shot S&W, Ruger, Taurus, and Rossi and many other guns. All the other guns triggers feel like I am pulling car up hill.

I have a 15-2VH 6" that I purchased in 1978. (First handgun I was of legal age to purchase in my state).
    That and my Browning BPS are my oldest guns.
    Not quite a Python, but a very good .357.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links