When Boy becomes Man......Surprise!

This is a discussion on When Boy becomes Man......Surprise! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yesterday I traveled to Charlotte, NC to pick my Sister-In-Law up from the airport and en route I decided to stop at a few gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: When Boy becomes Man......Surprise!

When Boy becomes Man......Surprise!

Yesterday I traveled to Charlotte, NC to pick my Sister-In-Law up from the airport and en route I decided to stop at a few gun stores and fondle the goods. Originally the plan was for my daughter to accompany me, but after a rigorous cheerleading practice (is there such a thing?) on Monday she laid out for the day chewing on Advils. When my 18 yr old son found out I was planning on stopping and looking at guns he jumped on the chance. OK, cool....some road time with the boy alone.

Our first stop was at Palmetto State Armory, a place I always stop at when in Columbia and I immediately went about looking at various guns and such with plans to pick up a few boxes of ammo. And of course ask about the new Kimber Solo, but they didn't have any in stock for me to even see one in person.

At first my Son was shadowing me, but it didn't take long for him to wander off and I was busy talking with one of the guys so no biggie. 18 yr old sons have the habit of disappearing on ya. At that point my life changed forever. I should have seen it coming....but I got blindsided. Or maybe I was just asleep at the wheel. Doesn't matter...no going back, no Mulligans, no reboot.

When I finally became aware of the time and the need to hit the road I started looking around for the Boy and not seeing him I went out to the car, finding him sitting inside with a smirk on his face. Hmmmm.......not good. I've seen that same smirk on his Mother's face and it never works well for me. Getting inside I cranked the car, put it in gear and almost made it out the parking lot when he turns to me and says "I bought a AR-15 Lower".

What?

Yep. My Boy. Was just yesterday I was wiping his nose and butt in no particular order and showing him how to skim a stone on water. I looked at him like a stranger just sat down beside me. You bought a what? When? How? You bought a what?

Yeah....while I was busy talking to some guy my "Boy" was busy talking to another guy and ponied up the cash for a Lower. His scheme is to build out a 15 and take over the world....or maybe just impress me. Not sure on this, I'll keep ya posted.

Now to be honest I have raised my kids around weapons and he is responsible in more areas then I like to admit. Graduated High School with good grades and took 4 yrs of JROTC. All ready to join the Navy, but doesn't weigh enough so until that point he'll be taking classes at college. He's a whiz at computers and wants to be in Cryptology. I look at my Son with profound pride. But to just go off on his own and buy a weapon or part of a weapon without permission is......well.....it's just, Damn! You bought a what?

We talked the rest of the day about the whys and whatnots of him buying the thing. He wanted it to be a surprise, an opportunity to do something together, etc. He said all the right things that sons say to their fathers when they have a plan for something. And.....he made sense. He wants to build an AR-15 and shoot it. He wants to do something on his own as a man, but still have me there for the backup. And while I would have felt better if he had approached me prior about this, I also have to acknowledge that if it wasn't for the fact he's a few pounds skinny he'd be off on his own serving this country and quite possibly not playing with a weapon at home but actually having to use it. Brings things into perspective.

And of course the proof that my boy had arrived at Manhood is upon getting home he promptly asked me to be the one to tell his Mother. Yeah, I figured that would be best as well. Although the wife has her own handgun, it's HER BOY! that we're talking about. She only cried for about an hour last night...I think. I fell asleep so not really sure on this.

So the plan is, as he can afford it he'll be buying the various components and build out his very own AR-15. I make suggestions, he makes the decisions. I comfort the wife. She chews Xanax and tries to accept her son is now a man and making man decisions. And then I get to do this all over again when he ships off for Boot.

OH!....and on a brighter note, when he's off into Adultland I get to play with a wicked 15 that I didn't pay for. It's a small reward, but I'll take it.
    joker1, MtflyerHK, eww and 8 others like this.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

2. Remove Ads

My dad would have skinned me alive, hehe. To be fair, I already had my 1911, a nice 870, 10/22, among other things, by the time I was 18. But I didn't buy any without discussion :)

Sounds like he's growing up! My boy is only 7 months old now, but they say it goes by quick...

VIP Member
    How cool is that! I mean about playing with it afterwards:)
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Haha, very nice. I'm sure you'd have liked to hear about it but hey, he's responsible right? My first gun was the day I turned 21. I was still living with my parents for the sake of saving money. I left for work that morning and told my parents I was going to come home with a handgun, and I did.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Time together with your son is time well spent. Shooting together can be a lifetime hobby. My youngest was 4 a few days ago, and he'll be 22 in August. Get all the time with them that you can squeeze in, because your really going to miss it when they move out on their own.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Well we need deatils about waht kind of lower it was and you need to keep the tread updated as he builds...Good for him though.

My dad was never in to guns so I didnt have that with him but had moments when I acquired my own persoanl tools and took charge of the house and fixed things on my own quite often while he was away or didnt even know they were broken.

You can see the little sense of pride in a fathers eye when his son crosses that threshhold.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

oh, and to be specific he only bought a lower build kit. He wanted to wait and get my input on receiver, upper, optics. And I think he needs more money. I may not get a "free" 15 after all.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Congrats Dad, and why not...he's old enough to buy, just enjoy the time you'll spend together...and I have three words for your sons lack of weight problem...biscuits and gravy!
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Great story. Sound like ya raise him into a well rounded and responsible young man. Congrats!
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I bought my first handgun shortly after my 22nd birthday. Still living with parents (because of money), I discussed it with my mother on a couple occasions, and she wasn't thrilled- of course. But, I did my research, and I thought about it pretty hard, then I did more research and asked a lot of questions. After almost two months of debating- mostly between myself and myself- I went into the store, shelled out $300, and left with my Windicator.

I called my mother and told her, her exact words were "YOU can tell your father, when you get home". Oh goody.

I got home before him, put it in my room, and went about my day. When he got home, I looked him in the eye and said "I got a new toy today". My stepfather isn't as big on guns as I am now but once I got it out and showed him, explained to him why I wanted it and told him that I got a pretty good deal on it, he was fine with it.

But, I don't think he's seen me in quite the same light since. But, there has definitely been much more 'man to man' respect than there was before, when it was 'father to son' respect. (Although, on my 18th birthday he passed down a 'family heirloom'- a Winchester model .22-02, made in 1898.)

And, now look at me; a little over a year later I have two more long guns, and another handgun.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Ill start prepping now, mine are 7 and 9, and already love guns. Thanks for sharing your story.

Got tickled at that story!

sgb
    Great read thanks for sharing
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

On a related note it still amazes me that a person has to be 21 to buy anything handgun related. At 18 they can go in to a store and buy an "assault" rifle or parts to build one or a shotgun. You can theoretically hurt way more people at a faster rate and from greater distances with long guns but they can go right in and buy one and walk out. As far as I am concerned you turn 18 you are an adult and entitled to all rights as any adult. If you can fight half way around the world for me like your son will be doing you should be able to buy any gun you want and can afford.
    guardmt likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    On a related note it still amazes me that a person has to be 21 to buy anything handgun related. At 18 they can go in to a store and buy an "assault" rifle or parts to build one or a shotgun. You can theoretically hurt way more people at a faster rate and from greater distances with long guns but they can go right in and buy one and walk out. As far as I am concerned you turn 18 you are an adult and entitled to all rights as any adult. If you can fight half way around the world for me like your son will be doing you should be able to buy any gun you want and can afford.
    I'll toast that sentiment.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links