Is this a Python?

This is a discussion on Is this a Python? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The best of both worlds...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Is this a Python?

SFC
    The best of both worlds
    Life Member DAV, NRA Member AZR&PA, IDPA, USPSA

2. Remove Ads

Back in the day, colt barrels were KING. Many shooters used the colt barrels in Smith and Ruger rather than custom barrels. Take a like at it. Does it lock up tight? Any cylinder paly? Barrel gap OK? Do you like it? If so, it's worth the price of a used Ruger and may out shoot one! It will be a didcussion peice and a fun gun.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

1. you're a good friend. 2. Looks like a deal, and not everybody on the block has one !
    Steve

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Chris, I would bet this gun was built before you were born, what is your experience in telling the OP not to buy? There are a lot of high quality, yet freaky custom guns out there.
    Just because I'm young does not mean I don't know what I am talking about. Would you buy a Ford with a chevy driveshaft welded on halfway
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Just because I'm young does not mean I don't know what I am talking about. Would you buy a Ford with a chevy driveshaft welded on halfway
    Chris, watch Barett Jackson sometime, and tell me what you think of Chevy parts Frankenstiened into Fords. The point about your youth was because back when, there was not near as much access to custom parts and machine services. There used to be a lot more gunsmiths than parts changers. Anymore, just about anyone can throw a bunch parts together and "build" a 1911 or AR 15. Go research Seecamp, Kings, Clark, Cylinder&Slide, Bowen, and many others from the era before there were lower parts kits, and match barrels were "blanks". It's just not fair to wave the don't buy flag without hands on, a picture, or knowing the maker. Sorry for assuming your youth meant you weren't a gun enthuiest back when these were popular. No offense meant.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

None taken, all of your other points are valid though, I do have a friend with a Corvette that has a Ford motor in it, so this is a valid point. I however would not trust that barrel weld. How would you even put a different barrel on anyway?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

OD*
    None taken, all of your other points are valid though, I do have a friend with a Corvette that has a Ford motor in it, so this is a valid point. I however would not trust that barrel weld. How would you even put a different barrel on anyway?
    ? Barrels aren't welded on, they are threaded on to the receiver. I do not mean to be offensive, but you really don't know what you are talking about, these conversions were preformed by some of the best gunsmiths in the country at the time.
    Last edited by OD*; June 20th, 2011 at 12:00 AM. Reason: poor spellun'
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

i really dont know how a barrel gets put on, hence my question. So in theroy would it be possible to remove the barrel from my 629?

OD*
    i really dont know how a barrel gets put on, hence my question. So in theroy would it be possible to remove the barrel from my 629?
    Yes, people re-barrel revolvers all the time.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Lefty Lucy, righty Tighty. Maybe. Let me know.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

VIP Member
    Rebarreling a revolver is not very difficult if you have the proper tools. The first thing you need is a heavy vise with padded jaws, you clamp the barrel in the vise then after removing the cylinder and crane and any barrel pins if installed insert a hammer handle through the frame opening and unscrew the frame from the barrel. Barrels are generally very tight so it will take a good bit of torque to loosen them.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

so basically the dan wesson swappable barrel is just a quick and easy method to do something thats already doable

If I'm not mistaken, the 2 1/2'' and 3'' pythons are the rarest of all pythons? Meaning this one might actually be worth a lot more.. even if it is a frankenrevolver.

I'm a fan, she's a beaut for sure. Had the chance to see 2 1962's this weekend, one in 4'' and one in 6''...The triggers are smoooottthhh.
    CCW- Smith & Wesson M&P 9mmC
    HD- EAA Witness P .45acp
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
    Thomas Jefferson

This one wouldn't be worth more because it has a 2 1/2-inch Python barrel screwed on it simply because it is a frankenrevolver. A real Python would have more value on the used gun market. Folks who collect Pythons won't pay premiums for guns cobbled together otherwise we'd have a thriving business turning inexpensive parts into "collector's items." The market recognizes the difference. This one isn't a Python at all but a Ruger. A Colt Python with a Ruger SP100 barrel installed wouldn't turn into a Ruger. It would be an abused revolver however.

This one is worth the sum of its parts. If it does happen to shoot well and is dependable then great but it isn't valuable.
    OD* likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    This just just a travesty! I feel sorry for that Colt barrel! It's okay little pony, I promise I will never mix you with any those dirty little Rugers!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links