How to hold spare ammo on a Marlin 1894C

This is a discussion on How to hold spare ammo on a Marlin 1894C within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, one of my current projects, is that I am trying to find ways to keep ammo on all my long-guns, even while they are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How to hold spare ammo on a Marlin 1894C

So, one of my current projects, is that I am trying to find ways to keep ammo on all my long-guns, even while they are in the safe. The thinking is that if I ever need to grab something in a hurry, it will at least have some ammo on it. I don't want to just load up the weapons, because personally, every time I pick up a gun, even from a safe, I clear it, so if I have like my 1894c in .357 with a loaded tube magazine, when I jack the lever, a round would pop onto the loading mechanism, which I want to avoid. And the "immediate need" weapon is on my person. So, I am looking for ways to have ammo easily accessible on weapons, without it being loaded, if that makes sense.

Most of the shotguns have either a side-saddle, or a sleeve on the buttstock that holds shells. And the bolt action rifles have the sleeves on the buttstock that hold about 10 rounds. I have thought about putting a centerfire rifle sleeve on the 1984, but I don't like the way the black neoprene or whatever looks on that rifle, but a bonus is that I can load two rounds in each "tube") (on primer up, and one primer down) and double the ammo capacity. But does anyone know of any ways that look better? Like do any of the leather workers on here make something like that? I would think that with leather you could have two rows of loops, like on a western gunbelt, and it would be much more attractive. Or are there any ways to solve this that I am just not thinking of?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

If you are more interested in "looks" why bother with ammo?
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    If you are more interested in "looks" why bother with ammo?
    Because I still want it on there, I'd just rather have something classier looking that black neoprene (or whatever that stretchy material is), on the nice looking wood stock. Same reason I will spend a little more to get nice grips for my 1911s than just leave the functional ones from the factory on there, because I like things that look nice and are functional.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Buy a cartridge belt with billets to fit the caliber. Then you will have almost 2 1/2 loads on you as you go. Works for me.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

AZJD1968 likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

This was gonna be my reply or a bandoleer type sling.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    sgb---really nice but what in northern FL moves need a bullet that big

for my golden boy i found hollow arrows that hold 12 each 22LR and than pour them into the rifles feeder tube.
    357 is a mite wider & longer but get creative and scratch around for tubing to hold shells in and than some
    practice for letting gravity do your loading. perhaps not fast for a gun in a safe in the dark but sure saves
    time in the field and you can carry the prepared reloads in the same quiver as your arrows--just don't confuse the two...

my daughter reminded me that i promised to stitch her sling this winter. she loves her's and uses it in CASS as well as often carried in the woods. so i told her i would add loops for 10 (maybe just 9) shells to her sling.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

sgb, that is some beautiful stuff, thank you for the link, I will need to look into it.

Gman, while I like the bandolier type approach, and keep one loaded up with 12 gauge, and one with .308, I'd like the rounds actually on the rifle if possible, so something like what is linked above would be preferred

I am not a fan of rounds on the sling. I once thought that a sling that holds 12 gauge shells would be really neat, so I bought one, and then found out that the shells tend to obstruct proper usage of a sling, if you need to run they start swinging around, and eventually the loops lose their retention abilities, and the shells fall out. Granted, one .357 round is much lighter than a load of 00, but I still think it would interfere with proper sling manipulation.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    true about the weight....and need to go with a 1" to 1 1/2" tapered wide for the 357.
    the load will be for 125 gr bullets to minimize the additional weight. for my 45 colt i started with
    a triple thick sling and than split the top 1/3rd and restitched to make the loops for the shells. to keep the
    slings soft feel of flexibility i spaced the shells 3/8" ( required each be stitched twice--slow work)

one off projects are fun...usually and when they work as planed; again, that usually or it wouldn't still be fun.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

If you're not fussy about looks and you just want to have ammo come out of the safe with the gun, here's a suggestion. Find a cheap military surplus belt pouch (for ammo or grenades) that has belt loops, load it up with ammo and slip it over the muzzle of your rifle. The pics show how I keep ammo with my SKS. Mine is an E. German grenade pouch that holds 9 loaded stripper clips. I got it from CTD or Sportsman's guide some time ago, and I just found the same widget for $3 here: East German Camo 3-PC Pouch from Hessen Antique

For your lever gun chambered in a handgun caliber, I think rather than loose rounds I'd go with a bunch of speed strips in the pouch.

It's not pretty, but it is functional - and inexpensive.SKS and ammo to go.jpgE German ammo pouch.jpgE German ammo pouch rear.jpg
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

These work well : Minuteman Gear Home page

Well, Dukalmighty saw this thread and made a kind offer to hook me up, which I gladly accepted, and he came up with this:

IMG-20110625-00012.jpg

So I can keep 18 extra rounds (2 tubes worth) on the buttstock of the weapon, and still have it look good. With the leather lacing it is held on nice and tight and doesn't slide around or anything, and I personally think it adds a little character to the weapon.

Gasmitty, I like your idea too. I have actually been going through all my firearms stuff lately, and found those leather ammo pouches that tend to come with surplus rifles (Mosin Nagants in particular), and utilizing your idea used them to keep ammo on those weapons. So my project is coming along pretty well I think.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member
    Beauty.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    That is an awesome site with beautiful work. I think Im going to look into something like that for my Remington 700's. Awesome link. Thank you, and good thread.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links