New patrol carbine

New patrol carbine

This is a discussion on New patrol carbine within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey everybody, I would have posted earlier but chrome isn't working with the new threads. Anyhoo I went to Elmores Firearms in Greenwood Indiana just ...

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

New patrol carbine

Hey everybody, I would have posted earlier but chrome isn't working with the new threads. Anyhoo I went to Elmores Firearms in Greenwood Indiana just to shoot the donkey with everyone there and see the latest and greatest merchandise they had in. What a treat that turned out to be. I got to handle a MP5A4 submachine gun that was full auto. Couldn't buy it but man was it a treat to be able to hold and fondle it. They literally had to pry it from my hands lol. Anyhoo I happened to mention something about my new job and how I wished I had something a little more concealable with more firepower than my duty weapon but less bulky and unweildy as my 12 gauge. Russ went into the back and brought me a Kel-tec sub-2000 carbine that takes Glock mags, just like the weapon I will be issued in a few months. I checked it out and was very impressed with the way it handled and the fact that I could fold it and put it into a laptop case to carry around with me. It even fits into our backpacks that we carry around on class b or plainclothes days to carry water and spare cuffs and things in. I happened to mention I was going to use it for work and he asked for my creds. He then made a phone call and long story short my boss called me and told me to put it on layaway with a hundred bucks and then i could bring in a 150 bucks and the company would give me a voucher for the money and with that voucher I am saving 50 bucks off the sale price through a agreement between the company and the gun shop. My boss is also going to supply me with 2 30 round Glock mags for the carbine. A good deal at 300 bucks that got a whole lot sweeter. Gotta love a company that appriciates its employees huh. It will be following me home in about 2 weeks.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Administrator
    Its always nice to have another tool in the toolbox.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Got a friend who has one of those. He says they fill the gap from handgun to rifle very well. I think anything beyond 25 yards and under 125 yards is where they really shine.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Great deal. Those are a neat little piece. light and very versatile. I have toyed with the idea of buying one for a BOB setup to supplement my AR. There are all kinds of great aftermarket stuff out there for them. Look up Pirate and his threads on here he seems to be the resident expert on them and has his tricked out.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Just picked one up (have not fired it yet) that takes S&W59 mags (came with a 10rd and 2 14rd mags). Just ordered 2 30rd mags from Midway. It looks like fun. If it works as well as my 9mm AR, I'll have a great new truck gun.
    Let us know how it works!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Lead Moderator
    Mine is the .40 cal. version and seems to work well enough. The sights are crude , but do work .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sounds like a great gun for compact carry,I might need to pick one up for a truck gun ,or bike rifle,sounds like it might fit in a motorcucle saddlebag for road trips
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

One nice thing about them is that you can practice with them at any range, unlike true rifles...which many indoor ranges will not let you shoot.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its always nice to have another tool in the toolbox.

The other aspect I like in addition to being able to use the easily available Glock mags is the use of 9mm. It would mean I could use the ammo that I have on hand and not have to maintain an additional stock of another caliber.

The good- I used to have a 9mm SUB-2000 that used Beretta mags. Good little gun, functioned reliably, was accurate enough. I had no trouble qualifying with it on the patrol rifle course of fire, which, of course, includes shooting at 100yds. I used to keep it in my patrol bag in the passenger seat since it would be faster/easier to get to than my AR-15.

The not so good - After I chrono'd some ammo I found that there was relatively little ballistic advantage (10-15%) over my sidearm and it wouldn't provide much more in the way of barrier penetration, etc.. Suddenly the idea of reaching for a pistol caliber carbine because I needed more firepower didn't make so much sense anymore.

The solution - I ended up selling it and my AR-15 and switched to a SIG 556 Classic with the folding stock. It is compact when folded (and can be fired that way) so it's easier to keep at hand, but gives real rifle power and accuracy when you need it. And, truth be told, if you need a rifle, you probably need a real one.

All of that being said, the SUB-2000's are great little guns and definitely have a place. They'll let you reach out a little further with more accuracy than your sidearm, but they're really more of an extension of it than a replacement (IMO, anyway). They're more than a pistol but definitely not in the same league as a rifle.

If you check out KTOG.Org - Kel-Tec Owners Group there's a ton of good info on them there. And remember to post pics and let us know how it shoots for you.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    definatley will, the only reason I picked it over a compact AR or folding stock AR is even though county regs allow rifles, company regs require a pistol caliber. Its for a bit of extended range and a bit more firepower.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Links