Private Sales: Citizen to Citizen

This is a discussion on Private Sales: Citizen to Citizen within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by HotGuns I think you worry too much. Forget the paperwork. If you feel the need, have the cops run the number, if ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Private Sales: Citizen to Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I think you worry too much. Forget the paperwork. If you feel the need, have the cops run the number, if it comes back good then dont worry about the transaction.
    The paperwork may not be necessary, but I'd get it. It's the agreement that *this* item is being transferred for *this* amount of money. I'd have it state that the person buying already inspected the item and are willing to accept it in its current condition. I'd have it state that they take all the responsibility of owning said item upon themselves and I'm not responsible for any instruction on its use, nor am I responsible for any harm of any kind that may result from improper use due to lack of proper instruction. Etc.

The contract isn't about making it legal, the contract is about making sure that the terms of the agreement are documented, that the terms of that agreement were met, payment was made, item was received...
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    The paperwork may not be necessary, but I'd get it. It's the agreement that *this* item is being transferred for *this* amount of money. I'd have it state that the person buying already inspected the item and are willing to accept it in its current condition. I'd have it state that they take all the responsibility of owning said item upon themselves and I'm not responsible for any instruction on its use, nor am I responsible for any harm of any kind that may result from improper use due to lack of proper instruction. Etc.

The contract isn't about making it legal, the contract is about making sure that the terms of the agreement are documented, that the terms of that agreement were met, payment was made, item was received...
    If thats what you want to do, more power to ya.To me, it just seems like an incredible waste of time.

Whatever happened to sealing the deal with a handshake?

Its just a piece of property.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If I were the seller, I'd want a simple bill of sale including the buyer's name and address and the serial number of the firearm.
    If I were the buyer, I wouldn't want any of that. I would never submit my driver's license to anyone.
    I have done FTF transfers where I was the buyer. I handed over my CCW which proved that 1. I was a resident of the state, and, 2. I was not a felon. They were happy, and so was I.
    Because I wasn't paying sales tax or transfer fees, I was able to pay a bit more for the gun. Win-win.
    (I complied with all my state's requirements, I don't know about Virginia.)
    If you are worried, do the transfer at a FFL. Pay for the transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    I realize that. I think it is a good idea to document it in case it is stolen or something. I don't want it showing up at a crime scene in 5 years. I'm the type of person that always feels like I'm forgetting something when I leave for a trip, so that's why I started the thread.

Thanks for the replies.
    My Dad actually bought his Glock from a guy that required him to fill out a 4473. He said he once sold a gun that was used in a crime 10 years later, so he requires that for every private sale. Strictly for his records, of course.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The guys I have sold firearms to have their CHL's
    Bingo!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links