Private Sales: Citizen to Citizen

This is a discussion on Private Sales: Citizen to Citizen within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This thread is just meant to be a data point. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I know it is a simple concept, but I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Private Sales: Citizen to Citizen

This thread is just meant to be a data point. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I know it is a simple concept, but I would like any extra input.

I have a handgun that I purchased in VA from a FFL that I am planning to sell to a VA resident. I know the person, and he is legally allowed to own a firearm.

I am planning on creating a contract with all the information of the weapon (i.e. serial number, date of original purchase, where it was originally purchased, and date resold) and having a notary sign two copies so we each can keep one.

Is there anything else I should be aware of? Any hints to make sure this is a legal transaction? This will happen in Virginia.

I am very busy during the week and will most likely be checking back in on Friday, June 24. Thanks

Distinguished Member
    I've also attached a copy of his or her drivers licence.

This is not legal advice it's just Sunday chit chat about what I would do.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    for person to person you don't even have to have any paperwork, just so long as your state has no registration and the person is a legal buyer. You can even sell privately to someone under 21 as long as they are over 18
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    for person to person you don't even have to have any paperwork, just so long as your state has no registration and the person is a legal buyer. You can even sell privately to someone under 21 as long as they are over 18
    I realize that. I think it is a good idea to document it in case it is stolen or something. I don't want it showing up at a crime scene in 5 years. I'm the type of person that always feels like I'm forgetting something when I leave for a trip, so that's why I started the thread.

Thanks for the replies.

It all depends... I've only sold a couple of weapons in my day... I was content with just letting them give me the cash... I work pretty closely with them.

Driver's license, signatures, serial numbers and a notary are all good ideas. If you really want to do it, take the firearm to a FFL and have the whole background check and 4473 run... that way, there's no question...

It's all in how comfortable you and the buyer are...

VIP Member
    Since you are already aware of what is required in VA, the only other thing I could think of, on the buyers part would have the police run the serial number prior to buying.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The guys I have sold firearms to have their CHL's
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    I think you worry too much. Forget the paperwork. If you feel the need, have the cops run the number, if it comes back good then dont worry about the transaction.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    States vary. There's an obscure statute in MN that says you're in trouble if a private party sells a handgun or semi auto ugly rifle to another private party, AND within one year, the buyer does something bad with it, UNLESS you do a background check on the buyer. A copy of a permit in your file should suffice. Better yet, never sell a gun, just buy them.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i just did a proof of purchase for both of us, it works, i can show i made a legal sale, nothing to worry about
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I live in VA and the only paperwork I do is fold the frogskins over and stick them in my pocket.

Of course, I buy much more than I sell, and when I sell it is to family or close friends/coworkers.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion12 View Post
    .... take the firearm to a FFL and have the whole background check and 4473 run... that way, there's no question...
    This would be my personal standard, then it's just as common place as any other purchase from a gun shop, new or used. And I view that $15 for a transfer as cheap insurance to any potential legal fees.

It makes it so that if it ever gets stolen, used in a self defense shooting (including ones that may have less that detailed investigation, which we've read cases of in the past here on DC); that not only is everything on the up and up, but that it looks normal and looks legitimate, and should either stop a hungry DA from bringing things back to you in the first place, or make it much easier for your attorney to convince a jury that everything was normal with the sale, no perceived attempts to skirt regulations. And it puts it into someone else's log for several years.

Not saying it's going to happen to you or even 5% of people, but "straw purchases" are a hot button; gun control in some jurisdictions is something that certain individuals in certain areas are just looking for any excuse to make an example, and people do move for work or family, and after you sell the gun, the other party might be transferred to a less gun friendly area. And I'm the kind of guy that likes to have I's dotted and T's crossed just for that piece of mind.

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    This thread is just meant to be a data point. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I know it is a simple concept, but I would like any extra input.

I have a handgun that I purchased in VA from a FFL that I am planning to sell to a VA resident. I know the person, and he is legally allowed to own a firearm.

I am planning on creating a contract with all the information of the weapon (i.e. serial number, date of original purchase, where it was originally purchased, and date resold) and having a notary sign two copies so we each can keep one.

Is there anything else I should be aware of? Any hints to make sure this is a legal transaction? This will happen in Virginia.

I am very busy during the week and will most likely be checking back in on Friday, June 24. Thanks
    Check with your State. They're the ones who will prosecute if you're wrong, not us. Know your area's law and check it with the powers-that-be.

I don't even go this far, but I won't complete the transaction if I don't trust the person. My last purchase was via a retired police officer. We inspected each other's DL and CHL, I inspected the firearm to make sure nothing changed since we last spoke, and then paid the man and we sat there and shot the stuff so to speak for a while.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The guys I have sold firearms to have their CHL's
    +1 - I always get a copy of their permit to carry or in MN we have what is called a permit to purchase. It just shows that a background check was performed on the buyer so that I the seller know they are legal to purchase a firearm.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links