Don't try this at home. - Page 2

Don't try this at home.

This is a discussion on Don't try this at home. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last words of an idiot.........."Hey y'all look at me!"...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Don't try this at home.

Last words of an idiot.........."Hey y'all look at me!"
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    That's why brothers and sisters getting married should not have children

Awwwwww,,,,,

But it makes for a smaller shotgun weddin' Maww.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member
    The obvious has already been repeated ad nauseum.

But this begs the question. Was that vest supposedly rated for that caliber?

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    The obvious has already been repeated ad nauseum.

But this begs the question. Was that vest supposedly rated for that caliber?
    You guys should watch the followup video "The Man Behind the Bulletproof Vest test." He explains that his buddy was drinking and, while he was supposedly a good shot, missed the trauma plate. Then he mentions that the vest was expired and they'd already done "extensive testing on the back of the vest." Without the trauma plate, it's probably not rated for that caliber, so the man's lucky he isn't dead.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

This has already been posted. The guy pulling the trigger is named Clay, He used to work for me and came in bragging about this video. (guess who doesn't have a job anymore)
    The person who got shot did it to "show he was tough enough" for the police academy. He has since been banned from ever applying. Stupid Stupid

Just wondering, what vests are only bullet resistant? I took one of our old vests from work, put it on a mannequin and shot it with my .40 Glock using 165 grain FMJ and also .22LR from 10 feet away. None of the bullets penetrated the vest anywhere. The mannequin was made of dense foam and the impacts made some deep dents in the stiff foam. Unless the vest they used was not bullet proof, I don't believe the bullet penetrated the vest. Still, a dumb idea. If you want to shoot a vest, get a mannequin.

I'll keep my fingers still on this one because anything I say will get me banned from the board

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1100us View Post
    Just wondering, what vests are only bullet resistant? I took one of our old vests from work, put it on a mannequin and shot it with my .40 Glock using 165 grain FMJ and also .22LR from 10 feet away. None of the bullets penetrated the vest anywhere. The mannequin was made of dense foam and the impacts made some deep dents in the stiff foam. Unless the vest they used was not bullet proof, I don't believe the bullet penetrated the vest. Still, a dumb idea. If you want to shoot a vest, get a mannequin.
    bullet proof vests have different ratings for type of ammunition they stop,over time Kevlar deteriorates and after the expiration date are not guaranteed to stop the bullet they are rated for.IIRC Second Chance had a bunch of vests that had defective Kevlar and instead of the company eating the loss they put them on the market anyway
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Ok, thanks. The vest I shot was 5 years past the expiration date. Can't remember what it was rated for. No one at work thought it would be able to stop a .40 FMJ from 10 feet but it sure did. Whats the point of wearing a vest if it can' stop a bullet?

IMG_4415.jpg

IMG_4416.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post
    This has already been posted. The guy pulling the trigger is named Clay, He used to work for me and came in bragging about this video. (guess who doesn't have a job anymore)
    The person who got shot did it to "show he was tough enough" for the police academy. He has since been banned from ever applying. Stupid Stupid
    It looks like this video at least produced two excellent decisions..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    bullet proof vests have different ratings for type of ammunition they stop,over time Kevlar deteriorates and after the expiration date are not guaranteed to stop the bullet they are rated for.IIRC Second Chance had a bunch of vests that had defective Kevlar and instead of the company eating the loss they put them on the market anyway
    I was going to ask that. It seems odd to me (non-LEO) that there would be an expiration date. Sounded sort of gimmicky to me. Like something companies make up to so you'll buy a new one every so often.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    I was going to ask that. It seems odd to me (non-LEO) that there would be an expiration date. Sounded sort of gimmicky to me. Like something companies make up to so you'll buy a new one every so often.
    Well, Kevlar is a material like any piece of clothing, and materials wear out after use. Jeans get holes, even leather wears out after a while. A five-year expiration date on a vest doesn't mean it won't be effective 6 years after purchase, it just means they won't guarantee it will be. I just looked at a website that tested an 11-year-old vest that stopped everything they tested on it, which was up to .357 mag.

Then there's the fact that it's a lifesaving device. I'm pretty sure lifesaving devices have to have an expiration date. When I go to D-Day for paintball instead of smoke grenades we use the floating canisters of Coast Guard orange rescue smoke. That stuff is usually years past the expiration date and still makes a huge, thick, long-lasting plume of orange smoke. It almost makes me feel like the expiration dates are there as a matter of policy. So It's hard to say if an expiration date actually makes a difference.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Nature has a way of weeding out the weak, infirm, and stupid, hopefully before they can breed and make more.:
    I respectfully disagree. Where is the evidence that the weak, infirm, and stupid have done anything but proliferate?
    It seems to me that the halls of Congress, the pages of the newspaper, and much of the internet prove just the opposite. If anything, stupid seems to be multiplying like the clotheshangers in my closet. OMO. YMV.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I'm not convinced it was a real test.

Maybe if they tried with a 7.62x39mm rifle I'd believe it.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Where is the evidence that the weak, infirm, and stupid have done anything but proliferate?
    It seems to me that the halls of Congress, the pages of the newspaper, and much of the internet prove just the opposite. If anything, stupid seems to be multiplying like the clotheshangers in my closet. OMO. YMV.
    Idiocracy, anyone?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links