Don't try this at home.

This is a discussion on Don't try this at home. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Beer + Inbreeding + Stupid + Guns = "What the heck?" I wonder what percent of these drunk adventures end up with someone dead?...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Don't try this at home.

Beer + Inbreeding + Stupid + Guns = "What the heck?"

I wonder what percent of these drunk adventures end up with someone dead?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Where is the evidence that the weak, infirm, and stupid have done anything but proliferate?
    It seems to me that the halls of Congress, the pages of the newspaper, and much of the internet prove just the opposite. If anything, stupid seems to be multiplying like the clotheshangers in my closet. OMO. YMV.
    I said "nature". Our Government in it's infinite wisdom has legislated laws to protect the stupid from themselves thereby allowing them to proliferate. Nature would have weeded them out a long time ago.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Cool

Here's your sign !

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1100us View Post
    Just wondering, what vests are only bullet resistant?
    I showed this video to a friend of mine that was in the military for a while. He said that vest was more of a "flak jacket" than it was a bullet-proof vest. He said it would be good for stopping or slowing down shrapnel, but not designed for direct shots like this.

They live and breed among us. Beware. This is the very definition of Jackass.
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post
    This has already been posted. The guy pulling the trigger is named Clay, He used to work for me and came in bragging about this video. (guess who doesn't have a job anymore)
    The person who got shot did it to "show he was tough enough" for the police academy. He has since been banned from ever applying. Stupid Stupid
    That is truly jaw-dropping.

I really believe this - either one - should lose their permits or whatever permissions they have - (if any). They should simply not be walking around with lethal weapons. That's my limit. They exceeded it.

Which is he???

Replacement for the guy that was killed filming "Jackass" or Darwin awards candidate?
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I showed this video to a friend of mine that was in the military for a while. He said that vest was more of a "flak jacket" than it was a bullet-proof vest. He said it would be good for stopping or slowing down shrapnel, but not designed for direct shots like this.
    He probably thinks that because he is used to seeing interceptors vests and the improved versions they are going to which have either SAPI or ESAPI inserts and are designed to stop rifle and armor piercing rifle rounds, respectively. If I recall correctly, soft vests such as the one in the video can be made up to level IIIA without an insert which is rated to withstand a .44 Magnum SJHP up to a certain weight/velocity as well as a smaller bullet like 357 sig without being penetrated or deformed more than a certain amount. Even with a properly made soft vest, getting shot is going to pack quite a wallop even if it is able to stop the projectile because the impact is over a pretty small area whereas with a plate it usually gets spread out a lot more. I can't say for sure what the depicted vest is rated for, but it looks like a pretty typical Level II or so vest, so as long as it is in good condition and shot with a typical handgun cartridge (no armor piercing or extremely powerful magnum rounds) it should be able to defeat it, though as we saw in the video you are still going to sustain injuries.

All that being said, this is obviously a dumb thing to do because: (A) These guys don't look like the type to ensure that the vest was rated to withstand what they were shooting it with. (B) Kevlar, Spectra, and other textiles used in vests can degrade from exposure to a variety of things (how much, and by what, depend on which material is being used) such as UV light, water, and various chemicals so unless this was a brand new vest or they knew it had been properly stored/cared for, it may not have been able to provide an adequate level of protection anymore. (C) What if your buddy misses?

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    I really believe this - either one - should lose their permits or whatever permissions they have - (if any). They should simply not be walking around with lethal weapons. That's my limit. They exceeded it.
    On the other hand, sometimes it takes learning a lesson like this to make you more responsible. For example, I've seen many teen drivers get a wake-up call to their bad driving habits once they cause a wreck. In many cases, that causes them to be more responsible in the future.

With these guys - you can bet they'll never pull something this stupid again, and since they weren't out to hurt anyone else (only themselves), I say give 'em another chance.

VIP Member
    late finding this thread, but I've seen that video making the rounds in email before

guy is an absolute idiot, nothing more, nothing less
    there is a reason mfgs put expiration dates on vests.....stuff wears down after awhile so it is no longer guaranteed to do its job, and this imbecile puts himself in and old vest and gets shot in a vital area....what a moron...even if it didn't penetrate (judging from the wound/blood it looks like it might have partially penetrated) it would still cause broken ribs, bruised or fractured sternum, bruised lungs, etc....on top of that according to paaiyan, the vest had already been tested? even more of an idiot
    I'm am SO glad this tool isn't wearing a badge
    when cops get shot in the vest they go to hospital because of the side effects of the impact, they can still have severe injuries, this guy is more than lucky

Quote Originally Posted by aaron100us
    Just wondering, what vests are only bullet resistant?
    this is a common misuse of the term......in all actuality there is no such thing as a bullet proof vest, they are all merely bullet resistant up to a certain level and rated as such
    even the heavy vest we have in all our patrol cars rated at Level IV to stop 7.62x39, .308, .223 will fail when shot with even more powerful calibers, and level III and below won't stop these rifle rounds, Level II won't stop some of the stop that level III will, etc

I wear a Level IIIa with ceramic trauma plate, its mfg expiration date is Oct 2013 so I got two years and I'll get a new vest
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

If he was really as tough as he said, he should try a Smith .500 mag . LOL.. I bet he can stop it!... What absolute idiots. Then the guy punches him. What if your friend is really hurt. Even if he is a jack ass. How cruel. I would love to see them lose their guns.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links