Making your own private gun-"range"

This is a discussion on Making your own private gun-"range" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My GF's parents have lots of land. I was curious what I have to do to be able to set up a private gun-range for ...

Thread: Making your own private gun-"range"

Question Making your own private gun-"range"

My GF's parents have lots of land. I was curious what I have to do to be able to set up a private gun-range for me and my GF to shoot at ON her parents property. Im asking because Its hard for me to find anywhere that will allow me to do any moving drills while I engage target(s). They own plenty of property that is out of city limits, but what else, if i can at all.. would need to be done to make sure we are legally shooting on private property? install a berm? etc.

SS
    Last edited by floridaguy911; August 1st, 2006 at 06:46 PM.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

2. Remove Ads

Check with the NRA they have a whole section on range design, BTY did I mention I have two shooting ranges one at each house hand gun only here and high powered at the farm.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Assistant Administrator
    If outside city limits then the shooting per se should be no problem, unless any local noice ordinances etc.

The back stop is probably the single most critical element plus knowledge of lie-of-land beyond that. Best of all is a natural rise in land to shoot into. If for private use only then it is IMO down to sensible precautions but a berm to do any good has to be quite high.

A set up for just pistol tho can I reckon make things a lot simpler. Oh and ah yes- per sheldon - look at NRA range info.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have a gravel pit two miles from my home; my inlaws are buying a 140-acre farm that we already have had permission to hunt on for many years; I can get in free at Michigan Tech's indoor range because I know one of the RO's.

Make sure you have a half-way decent backstop and insurance.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

private gun range

hey floridaguy911, there is a course through the NRA that might be of interest to you. It is being offered in Orlando, September 19 - 24. You could likely learn all you need and more. But at least you will be well informed and could get the answers to your questions. Here is the link. http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/rangedev.asp

taurus

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I will suggest you check out any berm ( natural or manmade ) to insure there are no large rocks ( bigger than a hens egg or so ) or other things to create rickochee danger .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Talking

The 'private range' will be for handgun use only.

Taurus- thanks for the link

redneck - thanks for the tip.

SS

PS- Someone who lives in Pennsylvania that uses the word "reckon"? Very interesting. Are you from the South Chris? lol
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    LOL an MD friend of mine once shot a mutual friend in the back from a ricochee , it took two stitches to close it up , ( sharp edge from either the jacket or the lead ), unknown since it did not penetrate and trap under the skin. The friend that was hit said it felt like being punched in the kidney . this was as near as we can tell from a rock a bit bigger than a softball ( since it appeared to be fresh broken when we searched the backstop berm ) and involved about 15 yards in total .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Another tip along the same lines....beware of letting bullets pile up in the same location without fresh dirt..it will be the same as a flat rock, not necessarily life threatening, but doesnt feel too good to be hit with copper jacketing either.

Always wear eye protection. My glasses have saved my eyes more than once.

And since you will have your own place, you will be able to do much more moving and shooting, just be sure that as you move and shoot, you are aware of what is behind your target....

Also, make sure that access to the area can be controlled, the last thing you need is someone wandering into your line of fire.
    Fear No Evil.

excellent tips HSU. Thank you sir.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member

I have a shop at my farm. There is a covered "porch" on the back. Looking straight out the back I own everything for 1/2 mile. Beyond that is another 2 miles of woods/fields, no houses.

I have a 5 foot tall mound 7 yards off the porch and the same at 25 yards. I shoot often at both ranges with my 92FS, Taurus 650 CIA .357 2" snubby and my new Bersa .380 Concealed carry. It is a well-used part of the farm. Family and vistors alike can use it. I use old real estate signs as target holders. A buddy of mine gave me gazillion B-37 targets he got when the Boy Scouts closed a range. Life is good at the farm.

Links