Tactical .22's what say you?? Anyone have any reviews on ones out there??

This is a discussion on Tactical .22's what say you?? Anyone have any reviews on ones out there?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; been thinking a lot about getting a "tactical" .22, I’ve seen a lot of people at the range with the smith and Wesson ones and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Tactical .22's what say you?? Anyone have any reviews on ones out there??

been thinking a lot about getting a "tactical" .22, I’ve seen a lot of people at the range with the smith and Wesson ones and a few of the colt ones but i kind of want something different than what everyone else has so I’ve been looking into the umarex ones, specifically the HK 416 D145RS (HK AR look alike) or the HK MP5 SD (Suppressed HK MP5 look alike), also i just tonight came across one i haven’t seen the ISSC MSR MK22 (FN SCAR Look alike) only problem w/ wanting something different is i have no clue the quality of them and havent come across anyone who has one or shot one.

does anyone have any experience or heard any reviews good or bad of these three? or any of the ones out there for that matter? i know there is a SIG one and ruger and Mossberg both make one. so any info would be great.

also i know i could just get a .22 conversion kit for my AR but i kind of want to just spend the little extra money and get another rifle.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    conversions--22LR rifles are generally cut 1/16 twist for the 40gr

a conversion on a 1/10 will be perhaps 2"accurate at 50 yards.
    thats too close for me & zombies but for popping balloons or playing with a shooting tree it may do ua fine.

i can understand you wanting a proper upper. my friends suppressed for a MG ran him $700 plus the can.
    mags were $100 each 30 rounder. 150 for a ?100 round drum.
    it was used and i can not remember the name. if it is important to you, PM me and I'll ask him.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J0eyg86 View Post
    been thinking a lot about getting a "tactical" .22, I’ve seen a lot of people at the range with the smith and Wesson ones and a few of the colt ones but i kind of want something different than what everyone else has so I’ve been looking into the umarex ones, specifically the HK 416 D145RS (HK AR look alike) or the HK MP5 SD (Suppressed HK MP5 look alike), also i just tonight came across one i haven’t seen the ISSC MSR MK22 (FN SCAR Look alike) only problem w/ wanting something different is i have no clue the quality of them and havent come across anyone who has one or shot one.

does anyone have any experience or heard any reviews good or bad of these three? or any of the ones out there for that matter? i know there is a SIG one and ruger and Mossberg both make one. so any info would be great.

also i know i could just get a .22 conversion kit for my AR but i kind of want to just spend the little extra money and get another rifle.
    Get the M&P over the umarex. Just look how how each of the riffles function. The umarex is not really like an AR with regards to functionality and controls.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

My club runs a "Tactical .22" match twice a month, and the current wisdom is that the S&W offering is the hands-down winner.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Lead Moderator
    A few others on here and elsewhere report good results/use the M&P 15/22. I personally have put more than 3,000 rounds easily through mine. I know atleast one member here reporting his Colt/ Umarex worked well too. Reports on MP5 clone are a bit less than perfect operation on some.
    Whatever you get will most likely take some testing to find what ammo your gun likes. Mine seems to prefer Federal bulk pack stuff.
    C hawk Glock likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I too have a M&P 15/22 and my kids really enjoy it. Spikes tactical also makes one, but it is a lot more pricey.

I have been looking at these too. The Ruger SR-22 is pretty nice. I do not like the Mossberg because it has a lot of fake plastic on it that looks like controls but are really just molded plastic. But it is the cheapest.

However, my local gun store has some brand new AR-15 rifles for around $650 and I'm sort of having a hard time justifying the $500 plus cost of one of these tactical 22 rifles when I could get the real thing for just a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I have been looking at these too. The Ruger SR-22 is pretty nice. I do not like the Mossberg because it has a lot of fake plastic on it that looks like controls but are really just molded plastic. But it is the cheapest.

However, my local gun store has some brand new AR-15 rifles for around $650 and I'm sort of having a hard time justifying the $500 plus cost of one of these tactical 22 rifles when I could get the real thing for just a bit more.
    I shoot my 223 and occasionaly let my sons shoot it. If they want to do a lot of shooting I can give them 500 rounds of 22 for $20, it makes the 22 very cost efficient compared to the 223.

Administrator
    The cost is easy to justify- buying ammo to effectively train with a 5.56 gets spendy real quick. When you can do 75% of that training with .22lr, you're going to save a lot more money than the cost of the rifle. Plus, they are just plain fun to shoot.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just buy a Ruger 10/22 and customize it. More options, more customization, and great rifles to work on marksmanship.
    Ram Rod likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Just buy a Ruger 10/22 and customize it. More options, more customization, and great rifles to work on marksmanship.
    "Tactical" should mean marksmanship to my thinking. Maybe I'm behind on the current craze for 'tactical' or 'tacticool' .22LR. Tactically speaking, the quieter the better. After that, not much to say other than it doesn't need to look like an AR-15 to be "tactical". What makes a tactical weapon 'tactical' is the one pulling the trigger. Single shot, magazine fed, bolt, semi-auto, etc. Punch out a dime at 100yds with your .22LR and I'd say it's tactical enough. Do it a second time, and you'll find a more well defined term for the word tactical, and where, how, and when it applies.

Yep tactical to me is this:

DSC00636 (Medium).JPG

Senior Moderator
    Here's a tactical .22.

A suppressed S&W that is as quiet as a penny being dropped. Opening the bolt and letting it slam foward is as loud as it gets.
    younggun likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    "Tactical" should mean marksmanship to my thinking. Maybe I'm behind on the current craze for 'tactical' or 'tacticool' .22LR. Tactically speaking, the quieter the better. After that, not much to say other than it doesn't need to look like an AR-15 to be "tactical". What makes a tactical weapon 'tactical' is the one pulling the trigger. Single shot, magazine fed, bolt, semi-auto, etc. Punch out a dime at 100yds with your .22LR and I'd say it's tactical enough. Do it a second time, and you'll find a more well defined term for the word tactical, and where, how, and when it applies.
    ya when i say tactical i was refering to the AR look like .22, i just think there cool and would be fun, and cheaper to shoot

I have the Colt M4 tactical. Over 3500 rounds thru it- no issues. Only dislikes are: 1) lack of functioning bolt release 2) 180 degree safety. I like the weight vs the M&P. The accuracy is the same as M&P, Ruger and better than the conversions I have shot against.
    Good cheap training and FUN!!!!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links