Defensive Carry banner

Traveling to NJ....bring firearms for recreation (range)?

3K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  SFury 
#1 ·
I'm taking the family to stay with some friends on the Jersey Shore. Doing a little research, I located a nice public range nearby, and was considering taking a few pistols and my shotgun & .22 LR with me. Of course, they would be unloaded in locked cases while traveling, ammo separate, and I would not be carrying at all (I know that is a complete no-no). Anyone have a clue?

Some cop friends said "No worries", but the some attorney acquaintances said is wasn't worth the risk. When we go to the range, my buddy and I would have two-three kids coming with us, so it certainly wouldn't appear if stopped that we were BGs.

Thanks for any advice.

#4 ·
I would call the range. To see if you will be able to shoot on your PA permit. I do not think they will allow to shoot pistols but long guns should be OK on a public range. If it was a private range I think you would be ok for both. Does your friend have a NJ foil card?

#5 ·
Don't do it. If your destination is NJ, you're not covered by Federal transportation law.
And I'm assuming you don't have a NJ firearms ID card.
And unless you'll be staying at the range itself, you'll be in violation of the law.
And Jersey gun laws carry outrageous penalties.
Just ask Brian Aitken, who broke a couple of Jersey laws by having a couple of unloaded, locked and legally owned g-17s in the trunk of his car.
(He had no prior criminal record.)
After serving several months of a 7-year prison sentence, Gov. Christie granted him clemency.
Enjoy the Shore, but leave your firearms home. It isn't worth it.

#9 ·
After serving several months of a 7-year prison sentence, Gov. Christie granted him clemency.
Enjoy the Shore, but leave your firearms home. It isn't worth it.
And even then, Aitken didn't receive an actual pardon. So he is still a convicted felon - unable to legally own guns, period.

I concur - if you're a law abiding gun owner, don't bother. NJ will make you pay for daring to exercise your rights.

#11 ·
OK, so now I am even less a fan of Jersey. I've lived in PA for 11 years and never even went to the shore, until cajoled by a friend who has a house to come for a long weekend. Long Beach Island is actually nice, and not much riff raff, so this is our second year going. When it gets hot, we usually head North to RI or VT each summer (and still do).

Jersey is truly screwed up, and I will do my best not to spend any money there. I'll truck in the food and beverages.

#16 ·
The worst thing about the Brian Aitken situation was he followed the law. He had also gotten specific instructions from the local PD in the area he was moving into. He never had a chance to even apply for the NJ permit. He never got to his new home before being illegally arrested and incarcerated.

What a travesty of justice that occured to Mr Aitken.

Leave your firearms at home unless you want to be made an example of as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.