Best 1911 choice for Under $900.00 [give or take $100.00]

This is a discussion on Best 1911 choice for Under $900.00 [give or take $100.00] within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have decided to purchase a 1911 platform pistol. Weight is not an issue nor is size. Reliabliity is my number one requirment, accuracy is ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Best 1911 choice for Under $900.00 [give or take $100.00]

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

I have decided to purchase a 1911 platform pistol. Weight is not an issue nor is size. Reliabliity is my number one requirment, accuracy is number two and retained value is the third requirement. (Finish and durbility are somewhere between 2 and 3.) This will be used as a range and possibly a home defense pistol as well as an investment. I already have: 442, 637, SP101, XD40, G26, SR40 and a few other pistols and revolvers but I want a something in .45 at a good value. I can't even consider a, Les Baer and most Kimbers I look at are well out of my price range and those in my price range don't get that good of a review in end.

I had considered a Springfield Loaded but the reviews, even by seasoned shooters, were pretty bad overall. The new Remington offering is receiving some really bad press. Even here on DC. I don't think I would even consider a Taurus based on past experence.

I am sort of considering a Magnum Research DE1911G or a Para GI45EKA but I would really appreciate the overall opinions from those of you who already tread this path. Based on your experence, and with $900.00 to spend, what 1911 platform pistol would you purchase today?

Thank you,

Diddle

Look at the Ruger SR1911

COLT. Everything else is just a copy.
    Dragman and M203Sniper like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

GM
    I should get a Colt. I like Colts.

Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    Look at the Ruger SR1911
    The SR1911 has recently been introduced into the market, and for that reason it still might have many bugs. Furthermore, it is Ruger's first 1911. I do not want to be human guinea pig
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

STI Sparton???

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Colt 80 series. really can't beat a colt for that price range and NO ONE else holds its value better.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member
    Colt or Springfield Loaded. Period.

Which one depends on desired features.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    COLT. Everything else is just a copy.
    Isnt colt not selling right now? My friend tried to order a 1911 from a gun store and they said colt isnt selling anything right now...?
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Springfield Loaded Champion, I do not know where you saw negative reviews, there are a lot of very positive ones out there. I paid 850 new earlier this year
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

mkh
    Taurus PT1811 or a Springfield Range Officer

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Rock Island Armory

$450 brand new from my local dealer, I can't complain.

Rock Armory 1911 Tactical - .45 by Christopher Nauman, on Flickr

In my opinion if reliability is your #1 concern, a 1911 for <$900 is not a good choice. There's better guns for the money...look into the sig p220 sao. I think mine does every thing a 1911 does only better and has never failed in any way shape or form. I had a springfiled loaded and traded it for the sig for reliability issues and fit and finish problems. Sig=made in germany and USA...springfield armory loaded=frame made by imbel in brazil...just sayin.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    In my opinion if reliability is your #1 concern, a 1911 for <$900 is not a good choice. There's better guns for the money...look into the sig p220 sao. I think mine does every thing a 1911 does only better and has never failed in any way shape or form. I had a springfiled loaded and traded it for the sig for reliability issues and fit and finish problems. Sig=made in germany and USA...springfield armory loaded=frame made by imbel in brazil...just sayin.
    That is a very interesting statement. It would help the OP very much if you please could explain the logic/reason behind it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I will jump in and say for the money, I think the Ruger is the best deal right now.
    babarock likes this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    Isnt colt not selling right now? My friend tried to order a 1911 from a gun store and they said colt isnt selling anything right now...?
    The dealer is a liar or a moron, Colt is very busy making firearms. Call and ask them yourself, 1-800-962-Colt. Don't be offended if they snicker at your inquiry, if they've heard this once, they've heard it a hundred times.
    Last edited by OD*; June 22nd, 2011 at 08:58 PM.
    glockman10mm and JD like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links