Odd question for forum group

This is a discussion on Odd question for forum group within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a strange question for the forum but I am looking for the largest 380 I can find. It will not be for CCW ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Odd question for forum group

Odd question for forum group

I have a strange question for the forum but I am looking for the largest 380 I can find. It will not be for CCW nor for my home defense. I am trying to help my uncle who has some (but not a lot) loss of dexterity in his hands (he is missing some partial fingers on both hands). He loves my 380 Bodyguard but says it is not comfortable to hold because of its size. He likes the bigger size of the M&P but not the kick. He did qualify with an old 38 that I offered to transfer to him but he said it was a nice loaner but he wants a large frame 380. So we are hunting for the largest frame 380 we can find.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Cattus Vir View Post
    I have a strange question for the forum but I am looking for the largest 380 I can find. It will not be for CCW nor for my home defense. I am trying to help my uncle who has some (but not a lot) loss of dexterity in his hands (he is missing some partial fingers on both hands). He loves my 380 Bodyguard but says it is not comfortable to hold because of its size. He likes the bigger size of the M&P but not the kick. He did qualify with an old 38 that I offered to transfer to him but he said it was a nice loaner but he wants a large frame 380. So we are hunting for the largest frame 380 we can find.
    I don't know if it's the largest or not, but my SIG 232 with the Hogue grips fills my hand nicely and I have pretty big hands. The stainless steel frame gives it some heft also.
    RMS likes this.

Walther PK380 - Very Easy to manipulate the slide. Very little recoil.
    Walther PK380 - SIG Sauer P238 - Glock 19

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Taurus makes a large 380.
    older colt 1908 in 380 is med size with a slide lock,safety that need not be engaged and a safety back strap that auto engages when the gun is held properly.
    Walther pp is largest of the pp-ppk-ppk/s group but a bersa is similar at half the cost and twice the reliability.
    savage from 1937ish is big, but old and bobs has mags.

most 380's are blow back with a lot of kick.

perhaps he could try a 38 smith & Wesson from the olden days. its a soft shooter, revolver.
    the colt 38 is way pricey but super soft to shoot if you can find ammo. even brass is hard to find.

-----------> i left out the baretta 84 cause it is sooo heavy, but the OP asked, and im thinking now that those who said it, said it best!!
    Last edited by claude clay; June 27th, 2011 at 10:57 AM.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I thought the Glock 25 was LEO only but its not marked that anymore. The Walther we need to go look at. I may have to drive a bit to find a Sig dealer..closest one to me is over an hour away.

Good for your uncle. A larger .380 isn't such a bad notion.

What about the Browning BDA? Think it and the Beretta Model 84 (also a .380) are the same or very nearly the same pistol. Either would be a good choice for a larger .380 pistol. Both are now discontinued as far as I know but both were of nice quality.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The Bersa Thunder 380 and Thunder 380 Plus are pretty big for a 380 pistol.

I'm going to catch flack for this but try the hi point cf380.

Very accurate gun, it's plenty big, and heavy, and did I say accurate?

People say it isn't reliable but I put over 1,000 round through my wifes without a hiccup

"when a life or death situation arises, you can't depend on 911, instead, put your trust in 1911"

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    It's better to prevent a crime, than to punish it.

Beretta 84. Close to a full-size duty pistol, 13+ 1 capacity in .380. Fine weapon which is down in popularity due to its size.
    BigBaddaBoom and jwhite75 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    Yup, Beretta's Cheetah line up is often over looked, but they are good guns and exactly what your looking for.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Mauser HSc.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Another vote here for the Beretta. Most people pass on it because for the weight and size of the Cheetah they will opt for something in a larger caliber. My Brother owns a 84 and it is fun to shoot, minimal recoil, accurate as hell, and flawless in both function and design. It is a beautiful weapon and a primary reason some will buy the 92 if they've ever handled the 84.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

Thanks guys. Off to three local stores this morning to see if they have any he can try on. I just printed the page out since there were so many suggestions.

Administrator
    The Beretta. Here is a VID that that you can use to judge its "in hand" size.
    The slide is easy to operate & it's quite ergonomic with great capacity.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Beretta 84. Close to a full-size duty pistol, 13+ 1 capacity in .380. Fine weapon which is down in popularity due to its size.
    The 84 is my dads EDC. I've shot it and like it. It's freaking HUGE for a .380 lol.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links