Looking for a WWII gun.

Looking for a WWII gun.

This is a discussion on Looking for a WWII gun. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One of the reasons I went to the gunshow yesterday was that I was looking for a Sauer 38H, which was a gun commonly used ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By daniel64

Thread: Looking for a WWII gun.

Looking for a WWII gun.

One of the reasons I went to the gunshow yesterday was that I was looking for a Sauer 38H, which was a gun commonly used by Nazi's back in WWII. There are several reasons for this. To start off with, my grandfather had one of these. He actually took two of them from some Nazi's back in WWII and brought them home on a ship across the Atlantic. Somebody told him he could only bring one home, so he through the other one out into the ocean. Upon arrival back home, he found out he could have kept both of them. Anyway, when I was younger sometimes he would let me borrow it and take it to the range and shoot it. It was a neat gun, worked perfectly. I always had hoped to inherit it when he died. But for some reason my grandmother decided to sell all of his guns (including that one) to a pawn shop. That was over 10 years ago. Every since then I've sort of looked at some of them and I have noticed the price steadily increase over the years. Now I'm thinking buying some guns like that might make a good long-term investment. Since this particular model has some sentimental value, I thought I'd start with one of those. I've been doing some research to attempt to figure out what is a good price. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer since apparently little things can make a big difference in value, such as certain markings, original parts, etc. I found one at the gun show yesterday that was in perfect condition, came with two mags and an original holster. He wanted $800 for it. I actually would have bought it then, but he wanted cash and I didn't have that much cash on me. So I took his card and was thinking of calling him this week and arranging to buy it. But since I've never bought anything like this before, can anyone give me any advice on how to make sure I'm getting a good deal and not ripped off?

Yeah - looked at that one yesterday after getting home from the gun show. Interestingly enough, the seller is in Dallas, which is only about a half-hour drive from here.

I say get what you want, just remember a collection is always worth more to the collector than the others. We always have a sentimental value to our collections weathers its coins, stamps, baseball cards or Guns.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    One of the reasons I went to the gunshow yesterday was that I was looking for a Sauer 38H, which was a gun commonly used by Nazi's back in WWII. There are several reasons for this. To start off with, my grandfather had one of these. He actually took two of them from some Nazi's back in WWII and brought them home on a ship across the Atlantic. Somebody told him he could only bring one home, so he through the other one out into the ocean. Upon arrival back home, he found out he could have kept both of them. Anyway, when I was younger sometimes he would let me borrow it and take it to the range and shoot it. It was a neat gun, worked perfectly. I always had hoped to inherit it when he died. But for some reason my grandmother decided to sell all of his guns (including that one) to a pawn shop. That was over 10 years ago. Every since then I've sort of looked at some of them and I have noticed the price steadily increase over the years. Now I'm thinking buying some guns like that might make a good long-term investment. Since this particular model has some sentimental value, I thought I'd start with one of those. I've been doing some research to attempt to figure out what is a good price. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer since apparently little things can make a big difference in value, such as certain markings, original parts, etc. I found one at the gun show yesterday that was in perfect condition, came with two mags and an original holster. He wanted $800 for it. I actually would have bought it then, but he wanted cash and I didn't have that much cash on me. So I took his card and was thinking of calling him this week and arranging to buy it. But since I've never bought anything like this before, can anyone give me any advice on how to make sure I'm getting a good deal and not ripped off?
    Pay only with a credit card for any gun, but especially used. That gives you the card's protection against fraud or a really screwed up gun. Stay away from any that say: "AS IS" + "No Return". Only buy one that allows an inspection period that is reasonable for a turnaround if need be.

Check feedback, make sure the feedback is 50+ (number of people leaving feedback) or better 100+ - and that the feedback is very, very positive.

Will all this rule out some great looking guns? Sure. But it will limit the chances of "getting screwed".

buy it u only live once it is a piece of history. think of the money we waste every day buying stupid stuff.
    TheGiant likes this.

I did buy it, actually. I took a photo of it the other day, here it is:

5885844799_b96ae668c6.jpg

Unfortunately, I took it to the range today and tried to fire it and discovered it doesn't work very well. It continually has a failure to feed unless there are only 2 or 3 rounds in the magazine. If there are more, it feeds the round about half way and jams. I can't even use my hand to press the slide forward, so it isn't a case of a weak slide spring. I think it has something to do with the magazine, but not sure. It actually came with two magazines but I only brought one to the range. wish I had brought the other.

Sponsored Links