Yildiz Fan Here. Anyone Else Out There?

This is a discussion on Yildiz Fan Here. Anyone Else Out There? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Several years ago, I went and bought my first set of guns. I was getting into hunting and shooting clays, so I wanted a shotgun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Yildiz Fan Here. Anyone Else Out There?

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar

Several years ago, I went and bought my first set of guns. I was getting into hunting and shooting clays, so I wanted a shotgun and decided on an OU. I also bought a marlin .17 for various small game and target shooting, but that's beside the point.

Well, I got the best deals at my local Academy and picked up a Yildiz SPZ ME OU 12 gauge for $400.00. It looked better than the rest, especially for the price, and had the best features (walnut stock and foregrip, auto-selective ejectors, briley chokes, single trigger, barrel selector, 3" capable, and a really nice fit and finish). At first, the trigger pull was a little stiff, and the lever was a little stiff to break the gun and eject the shells. It also kicked like a mule.

So... immediately, I bought a limbsaver pad (which made shooting enjoyable) and opened the gun up for a thorough cleaning and greasing. Several years later, I have had zero problems with the gun, and nothing but great experiences. It patterns well, it is light for the field, its accurate, it handles well, has a smooth action, it is dependable, the ejectors throw casings far and work beautifully, it's easy to break down and clean, and it still looks like I should have paid 3x what I did.

Anyone else out there have a great experience with this gun, like myself?

Last edited by Lotus222; July 1st, 2011 at 10:54 AM.
    bmcgilvray and msgt/ret like this.

Recommendation?

So I am in the market to buy the Yildiz spz me 20 O/U.
    I really want a sporting O/U but every gun is about a $million just because the barrel is ported.
    Skeet shooting is my main focus for off-season so skeet chokes will do for now. Does this gun come with skeet chokes as well?
    I went to Academy and shouldered this gun and it felt amazing. As a consumer though I do have to question the price matching the quality of the gun.
    From what you have posted you would recommend this O/U without question?
    Thanks for the post!

Before this thread I wouldn't have known a Yildiz from a poke-in-the-eye. Glad to read it. Looks like a good value, especially if it provides nice balance for a lively swing.

Where are they made?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

They are based in Turkey. The gun is very light and feels great but you never know how much you like a gun till you shoot it.

Y?ld?z Silah Sanayi

Administrator
    Years ago I watched a Gun TV program where they toured a shotgun manufacturer in Turkey. It was state of the art w/ regard to machinery/equipment and the other huge advantage was that due to the far reduced labor costs each firearm could receive a lot of additional detail work (such as hand checkering, hot bluing, & engraved embellishment) that would have greatly increased the cost if the same work was done in the U.S.
    I was actually decently impressed.
    d00ki3 likes this.

Nice. A double I could actually afford! And it looks nice too.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

What exactly is the difference between these $3-4000 sporting O/U and the cheaper $5-600 O/U?
    Ex.
    Browning Citori sporting gun vs. Yildiz spz me 20.

I don't understand what makes them so expensive. Can you compete just as well with a cheaper O/U like the Yildiz with skeet chokes?

In Europe they have "Budget" sporting guns that are around 5-600 Euros ($6-700) that reviewers have proven are very reliable sporting guns. Why is it that in America you have to be rich to be able to afford sporting guns? Am I just looking in the wrong places?

From what I have found you either pay an arm and a leg for a sporting gun or you buy a field gun that may or may not last very long in a competition because of all the rounds you put through them.

Any information is much appreciated!

Thank You

Wow, I thought this thread was dead in the water. Glad some of you guys are making use of it.

I'll try to answer a few of your questions and concerns, dooki3. Just like most products, there are cheaper versions, luxury versions, utility versions, and products that are somewhere in the middle for a good value. I would put the yildiz shotguns in the middle as a good value. The $400 gun that I purchased was for light duty on the clays and some field work. In this regard, it works nicely. It is light, points and shoots well, functions properly, and has some nice features. For sporting competitions, yildiz makes a different model. It is more expensive (I think in the $600 range), is heavier, has beefier internals, florescent sights, a different grain to the walnut stock, and has nicer engraving. The added weight supposedly helps with recoil and swing. I wouldn't hesitate to say that a yildiz could be definitely used for competition. I would opt for the more expensive model for the sole purpose of recoil reduction, though. The gun comes with a variety of chokes. Full, modified, IC, and cylinder. If you want more/different chokes, you can buy them at academy. I bought a couple of modified chokes that could take more of a beating from steel shot for duck hunting.

So what is the difference between a yildiz and an expensive OU? Well, it might depend on the gun. The yildiz has a single trigger that resets and a barrel selector on the safety. Left is top first, right is bottom first. The trigger is a little stiff before the break on the yildiz. I wouldn't call the action "smooth as butter". It requires a little more effort than I would like. A gun in the thousands of dollars should feel like a fine tuned swiss watch - and definitely "smooth as butter". The yildiz is more like a nice japanese time piece. Still works well, and has all the features, but not quite as mechanically intricate and polished as the big money brands. Some of the more expensive brands have double triggers, and I'm sure they have different internals, as well. Since I don't have a ton of experience with other OU's, I can't offer a ton of advice in this area. All I know, is that I am very happy with my yildiz.

As for warranty and customer service, I have had a great experience with yildiz. When I first put the gun together, it had an alignment issue, and didn't quite piece together perfectly (barrel mounting to the action/stock). Apparently this is not a common occurrence for a yildiz. At first I was worried, but apparently briley covers the warranty of this gun. Academy shipped it out for free, and in about 3 days I had the gun back in perfect working order. Never had an issue, since then. I would say that I had a very good experience with customer service. To me, this is an important feature for a gun to have.

12 gauge Pro's:
    Nice fit and finish. Great wood for the stock. Beautiful gun.
    Tons of features (barrel selector, thumb safety, auto-selective ejectors, easy access to internals, easy break-down, lots of chokes and choke options, ect).
    Light weight
    Points and shoots well
    Customer Service
    Low price

Cons:
    Precision smoothness of action and trigger (very minor con, here)
    Weight (if you want a heavier gun)
    Recoil (a limbsaver is a must-buy - probably due to the weight)
    Not made in America (but most of my guns aren't, anyways )

I just got the A71 20 gauge semi auto shotgun. I love this gun!!!! I shot some steel and slugs through it (200 rounds no issues) and felt great and accurate as well. I used the Beretta 20 gauge before and honestly did not feel a huge difference except the price tag! $375 vs $1450!!! The Beretta is an amazing shot gun It is a little better balanced and lighter with more parts available but for my money i would buy three A71s. Glad I bought my Yildiz time will tell on reliability but for now I am a fan! For a real wood semi auto under 400 dollars cant go wrong!

Any one know any sights to get parts? Found a good sight for chokes (trulock chokes)
    Lotus222 likes this.

Take it for what its worth but a friend of mine had a Ylidiz semi auto fail in a bad way. It shot half the shell out of the ejection port. The story is here: Yildiz semi-automatic 12 ga. shotgun

Just FYI. Be safe.

Put me on the not a fan list. You get what you pay for folks.... Buy once, cry once.

Of course, if you don't shoot shotguns very much, you might never be able to tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Crews View Post
    Put me on the not a fan list. You get what you pay for folks.... Buy once, cry once.

Of course, if you don't shoot shotguns very much, you might never be able to tell the difference.
    Care if I ask what any of your opinions are based on? I'd hate to hear you say the same about a Mossberg 930... I now own I two Yildiz A71 20 gauges - both of which have functioned flawlessly since their purchase. My OU has had zero issues - long before this thread was even created. It has been flawless and I have easily run thousands of rounds through it. Any links to actual issues regarding the Yildiz line is much appreciated. Anyone who has zero experience with these guns, but will bash them because of price is simply being ignorant, biased, and a shotgun snob.

Quote Originally Posted by BeefyG View Post
    Take it for what its worth but a friend of mine had a Ylidiz semi auto fail in a bad way. It shot half the shell out of the ejection port. The story is here: Yildiz semi-automatic 12 ga. shotgun

Just FYI. Be safe.
    I've seen this story before, but thanks for the link. I'm looking at both of mine to see if and how this could ever happen. So far, I haven't figured it out. Any idea as to how far that firing pin was extending?

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Care if I ask what any of your opinions are based on? I'd hate to hear you say the same about a Mossberg 930... I now own I two Yildiz A71 20 gauges - both of which have functioned flawlessly since their purchase. My OU has had zero issues - long before this thread was even created. It has been flawless and I have easily run thousands of rounds through it. Any links to actual issues regarding the Yildiz line is much appreciated. Anyone who has zero experience with these guns, but will bash them because of price is simply being ignorant, biased, and a shotgun snob.
    A little bit touchy aren't we!? Lets not start calling names.

As far as your beloved shotgun, I'm sure it'll hold up fine for the average guy that goes hunting every now and then, and shoots sporting clays on occasion. I personally use my shotguns more than the average person, and wouldn't consider an O/U with an aluminum receiver.

Touchy? No. this thread is older - look at the original date. I was just nipping post's like yours in the bud - indirectly referring to all future posts that essentially say: "I only buy expensive guns. This gun is cheap, therefore it is crap - unless you are a know-nothing shotgun newbie." That doesn't add anything to this discussion.

Again, I have literally put thousands of rounds through my OU which has an alloy receiver. I don't know what alloy it is, exactly. Apparently it has held up pretty well. At the price point of these guns, it has vastly exceeded my expectations. Lets be realistic. I'm not comparing this gun to something that cost four or five times the price (although, in many ways, I could). I would just like to see posts that add something (anything) to this conversation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links