Teach your kids to shoot!!

This is a discussion on Teach your kids to shoot!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently started a project, teaching my 16 year daughter how to shoot a pistol. She has a lot of experience with the Ar 15 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Teach your kids to shoot!!

Teach your kids to shoot!!

I recently started a project, teaching my 16 year daughter how to shoot a pistol. She has a lot of experience with the Ar 15 and shooting trap. She shoots competitive archery too. Has done safety classes, hunter ed., bowhunter ed. and attended the fantastic MA conservation camp where the kids get to shoot a lot (can you believe it in MA?!!!). This has been an amazing experience, and I have the best shooting buddy in the world.

Here she is with the glock 22......

2. Remove Ads

That is awesome! I have a 6 year daughter that I can't wait to start shooting with. How old was your daughter when you started working with her? Do you know of any helpful info/websites that might help me create a good learning structure to introduce her to the basics (i.e. safety, functionality, safety)?
    johniac7078 likes this.
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Niiiiiiiiiiiiic shooting on her part, and congrats to you dad for teaching her the right way.
    johniac7078 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

my son will be 9 this summer and we shoot a few times a week. Luckily we dont have to go further than our backyard.
    johniac7078 likes this.

I started out with bb guns with my daughter,after learning how to handle and fire a BB gun safely,we got her a chipmunk 22 single shot rifle and she shot that for awhile until she out grew it and moved up to a 10/22 and then shotty,then AR15 etc.Today she has a M&P 9c and a Sig Mosquito.I go out of my way to teach the shooting sports to new people,including letting them shoot my ammo.I reload so the cost for a box of ammo isn't much but getting another person shooting who will more than likely bring in more shooters is priceless
    johniac7078 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Lifetime of quality time with your kids!
    johniac7078 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I taught my youngest daughter to shoot when she was about 12 or 13. Her mom, my ex by then, wasn't too happy about it, but I taught her safety, safe gun handling, etc., and took her metallic silhouette shooting at a couple of different ranges with me. I would have started her even younger except for the ex. Daughter still shoots, but defensive pistol now, and it is just about time to start teaching the grandkids. They already know safety, but haven't been shooting yet. It is a great family sport!
    johniac7078 likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    My daughter is now 5 and 1/2. She took her first shots with my airsoft (Maruzen) Walther gas-blow-back pistol last weekend.

Out of nowhere, she asked if she could try.

It actually amazed me how well she took instruction on grip and stance. She even kept her finger off the trigger until pointed at the target!

I can't wait until I have a range buddy.
    johniac7078 likes this.

Niiice! G22 is a good call too =)
    johniac7078 likes this.
    CCW- Smith & Wesson M&P 9mmC
    HD- EAA Witness P .45acp
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    I started teaching my kids when they were old enough to walk. Not shooting of course, but they knew that any gun thath they encountered was serious buisness and not to be trifled with...they knew to keep their hands off.

As they got older, I sort of eased them into it. I started them out with BB guns that they shot only when supervised. We would set up army men and shoot them off of a rail that was set up. Every rules was strictly reinforced, if etheir one of them screwed up, we stopped and put everything up. Eventually, I got them each a single shot 20 gauge to take squirrel hunting. They were taught how to cross fences, walk around things rather than over them and when we did see a squirrle, they were given a shotgun shell to shoot with. Eventually, they got to the point where they would get their own shells and they would load when needed.

We had an understanding. Being boys, I knew that they would be naturally curious and they knew that if they ever wanted to see any gun, all they had to do was ask. We would talk about the various styles, the advantages and disadvantages of such, sometimes we would even tear them apart to see what made them tick.

They were probably around 10 or so when I got them their own personal .22. They were so proud of them. There wasn't a box of .22 ammo anywhere that was safe. When they both had them they would do little competitions where they would try to outshoot each other. We were fortunate that living here in Arkansas, having a place to shoot was a close as their yard. They would shoot shotgun shells, setting up 10 or so at a time and taking turns seeing who could shoot the most. That would usually end up as far away as they could get without missing.

One time I went outside to see what they were up to and they were right at 100 yards away...shooting shotgun shells. I could'nt even see them without a scope, but they there were shooting them and hitting them most of the time.

Its funny how it works out. My oldest son turned into an hunting fanatic. He lives it and breaths it. My youngest son dosent care to hunt at all. He collect Milsurps and is master of trivial gun info. My oldest could really care less, as long as what he hunts with shoots and is accurate.

They have been out of the house for some time now, but I still see them a lot. When we get together to eat, or cookout or whatever, and they get to talking, they still talk about the times as kids that we all shot together and about some of the little challenges we did and about the the competition. They cherish those days and I have two grandsons that are next. One of them is 3 and he has been out with his Dad hunting and fishing.

Just the other day his Dad and other Grandpa went fishing and the kid was taking a nap so they left him there at the house. When he woke up and found out, he got on his Momma phone, called them up and let them both know in no uncertain terms that he was NOT a happy camper, that he should have been in the boat with them. Kind of funny to hear a 3 year kid voice his displeasure. We all went out to eat at Cracker Barrel last night and he told me and his Grandma how Daddy left him at home. He was still a bit upset with his Dad.

Its really not so much about the guns, but being together,doing something together. Having fun, being safe about it and making memorys, memories that will last a lifetime.

Some of the anti's dont have a clue what its all about, in fact,most of them dont. They are horrified when they hear of a child shooting with his Dad. Its about teaching responsibility for ones actions, its about aquiring a skill and actually getting better at something, striving for perfection. As they get older and they realize that the real world is not the world it was meant to be, having those skills may be an asset to them. Its is my prayer that they never need those skills, but I beleive that them and their familys are much better off than those that dont have them.

As for making time with the kids, its one of the finer things of life.
    johniac7078 and TSiWRX like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    they are so cute when they grow up......her 1st words were----"more ammo , please"

each shild is different, but for the area i live in, guns get you expelled if you even say 'bang' with your finger. so my daughter needed to keep a secret and by age 7 she had; and started with a 10-22. with and with out scope (basic 3-9x25 tasco type) she sat in on classes and by 10 was proficient with the smaller revolvers (22's and 32's) and a S&W 422. now she is a spokesperson for the NRA.
    johniac7078 likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

My dad took me fishing since before I could walk. He taught me all about gun safety for as long as I can remember. He did the same for both of his boys. My brother became more of an outdoorsman than myself and is an avid fisherman, and would hunt more if he didn't have such a tough work schedule.

I took to guns like you can't believe. My father doesn't realize just how much of a gun nut I had become. How I enjoyed shooting with him more than anything else.

He taught me the basics, and turned me loose on some pop cans with his Ruger 10/22 when I was 11. He watched me, and gave me tips on shooting. I had a hard time learning to shoot accurately because I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I went through a lot of bricks of .22 ammo and had so much fun. One of my father's friends watched me in the beginning. He was laughing so hard because I was shooting out the branches of the tree I had the pop can in, but wasn't quite hitting the can itself. I got myself to be able to drop a squirrel at 50 yards with open sights. Head shots if the opportunity was available. Not too shabby for a pipsqueak of a kid who turned 12 that first fall.

Now, my father and I go deer hunting together. Still some good times to be had. We finished sighting in our X-bolts together last fall. His had been the backup gun for himself, and mine was brand new. Hopefully we can keep up the work and put some bucks on the buck pole again this year. A family tradition well worth the effort and time spent together.

Every family should have hobbies to spend time with one another.
    johniac7078 likes this.

I took Jim Cirillo's advice... My 3 year old can look at & hold any of my weapons (after I have done a physical & visual inspection to ensure that they are clear) whenever he asks. I will get him to the range the moment he demonstrates he is capable of obeying a direct order without question & immediately on a consistent basis. He is too young to really get it just yet, but he likes when I take him to my range to watch through the ballistic glass, getting to hold firearms, and he likes being able to help me sort loose ammo when Georgia Arms shipments come in. We always talk about muzzle discipline when he is holding a firearm.

It is never too early to teach them about firearms.
    johniac7078 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    That is awesome! I have a 6 year daughter that I can't wait to start shooting with. How old was your daughter when you started working with her? Do you know of any helpful info/websites that might help me create a good learning structure to introduce her to the basics (i.e. safety, functionality, safety)?
    My daughter was about 10. The BIGGEST thing is safety, naturally. A lot depends on the maturity of the child. She started with a bow. That really helped with the basics. She then moved onto .22 rifle after participating in a turkey shoot. She actually won 3 turkeys and that pretty much clinched it. I belong to 2 gun clubs, so when she was ready for a high power rifle, Ar 15, I asked some of the VERY experienced guys to sit in on shooting sessions, at least 2 of them are NRA certified instructors. They made it a lot of fun and taught her a lot. Some time someone other that dad can really help teach better than dad can. Early on, I handled loading etc and she never moved the rifle off the bench rest. She then took a safety class, hunter ed etc. As far as sources go, I would recommend a good safety class first, when your child gets a little older (it may be a bit boring for a 6 year old, I know my 7 year old isnt ready!!!). Conservation camps and junior programs at local gun clubs are a great way to go.

A key point is only encouraging words as far as accuracy goes, but be firm when it's a potential safety issue. Watch like a momma hawk!!!!

As far as which rifle, I really like to teach using the AR 15. The kids love the cool factor and there is very little recoil. Pistols are new to her, I will have her move to the M&P 9mm this weekend and we will continue to work on basics. I got her her own eye protection, ear protection, and just gave her her own gun belt and holster. We talk about safety on the drive to the range, and we have a mini safety briefing before we shoot. I serve as safety officer and mag reloader....it is very fun. I hope when I am gone, she looks back at these time she spent with her dad having fun. Enjoy your children when hey are young, man they grow up way too fast.

lovely story, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links