Dry-firing A Revolver?

Dry-firing A Revolver?

This is a discussion on Dry-firing A Revolver? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I will be getting a Ruger SP101 in about a week and want to do some dry-firing and was wondering if I really need SnapCaps ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Dry-firing A Revolver?

Dry-firing A Revolver?

I will be getting a Ruger SP101 in about a week and want to do some dry-firing and was wondering if I really need SnapCaps or is it safe to dry-fire the Ruger without them?

Administrator
    Its fine. Have at it.

The only time you really need to worry about dry firing a revolver is if its an older style hammer with the pin on the hammer itself.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    people derive different benefits from the practice. and like practicing driving in your driveway helps you to learn to control the equipment....sooner or later you have to go out into the world.

the red snap caps with the brass primer on a spring are the best if you are going to be doing a lot of dry firing. but for enough to get the feel of the gun, caps are not truly necessary as sixto pointed out with a newer gun.
    now if you were to ask what caliber for crawling bugs on monitor.....32 Colt Short should do ua fine.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Yep dry fired many a revolver,as far as Sixto's bug problem,I've heard they sell medication to get rid of crotch crickets at drug stores
    oneshot likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My Ruger SP101 gets dry fired a lot...no harm, no foul!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; July 1st, 2011 at 05:49 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In the manual that came with my Ruger Super Blackhawk it specifically states that dry firing should not cause any problems with the revolver. I can't imagine dry firing would cause you any issues.

seems like leaving empties in the cylinder would eliminate any worries about dry firing. Anyone see any problems with that that I don't know about?

If you've actually dryfired a ruger revolver to death, just throw it away and start practicing with the phaser you should be using in the 23rd century.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SobaLosa View Post
    seems like leaving empties in the cylinder would eliminate any worries about dry firing. Anyone see any problems with that that I don't know about?
    Yes. once the primer has been hit few times, maybe even once, there is nothing to absorb the impact, and thats the entire point of doing it in the first place.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It used to be said that dry-firing the Smith & Wesson revolver was perfectly acceptable back when they were produce with firing pins on the hammer. I'm thinking it could even be found recommended in the factory manual. At any rate, several of my Smith & Wesson revolvers that are 30 or more years old have been dry-fired about half a jillion times with no apparent harm.

Ok, I hauled out a .32 Colt revolver and some .32 Short Colt (left) ammunition upon Claude Clay's suggestion and got after Sixto's bug. I kept missing though. Why does that side of my computer screen not display correctly now?

I've seen that same bug device for several years now, even before Sixto bedeviled us with it. I have to confess that the other night I was much amused that he caught me out with it yet again when I reached up there to flick it off.

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Actually if SIXTO would clean out the old stale donuts from under the seat of his car, he'd get rid of those pesky bugs!
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links