Where to get a dragunov and what they cost

This is a discussion on Where to get a dragunov and what they cost within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey, I was wondering if anybody knew where I could buy a "true" dragunov (doesn't have to be Russian necessarily but I'm wanting the same ...

Thread: Where to get a dragunov and what they cost

Where to get a dragunov and what they cost

Hey, I was wondering if anybody knew where I could buy a "true" dragunov (doesn't have to be Russian necessarily but I'm wanting the same interworkings, not an AK look-alike). I believe China produces a good replica. I was also looking for one that has the standard dragunov style (wooden dragunov stock and wood forend). If anyone has any links, info, or anything that would be helpful it would be much appreciated, thanks.
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

2. Remove Ads

Home - Apache Arms

A friend of mine runs this site with his son, and I know he has a PSL in his safe right now. These come and go fast, and are very sought after.

The Romanian PSL looks like a Dragunov, but isn't actually the same, and the two are not interchangeable as far as parts and magazines and the like. That being said, you are going to find a PSL much cheaper than you will find a true Dragunov, and the PSL will most likely fit all of your needs. The PSL does have more AK like internals though.

PSL (rifle) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Dragunov sniper rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Chinese clone of the Dragunov is the type 79.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

GM
    As stated before, you can buy one at Dragunovs for Sale - Apache Arms, and if they do not have any in stock right now you can order one. Or you can wait until you find one for sale somewhere else, but that will not be easy. Russian Dragunovs are considered collectors' pieces. Although Dragunovs are still being produced they are no longer importable into the USA.

The Romanian PSL is cheaper but it is not a "true" Dragunov, it is a Dragunov style rifle based on an AK receiver; an AK/SVD hybrid. Russian Dragunovs' receivers look similar, but they are not AK receivers and they have only very few things in common. The Romanian Dragunovs that are imported as complete rifles are supposed to be better than the kit guns. I think the best place to ask about Romanian Dragunovs is AK47.Net

Keep an eye on Atlantic Firearms ; although they do not have any in stock right now I have seen Romanian Dragunov for sale there quite often. Dragunov Sniper Rifle

The Chinese Dragunovs are supposed to be better than the Romanian PSL. If you want a military SVD it will cost you (I do not think you will find a "cheap" one under $6000-$7000); the Sporting SVD Tigr is cheaper ($3000-$4000). GunBroker.com have a few SVD Tigr, Romanian and Chinese Dragunovs for sale.

Here can you read a little about Dragunovs:
    Dragunov dot net - Dragunov and PSL Sniper Rifle Information
    Dragunov Sniper Rifle | English Russia
    Russian Dragunov SVD
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I too would love to get an actual SVD, but for the $6k - $8k they sell for, I'll spend a bit more and buy an Accuracy International in .338. I'm not a collector, I intend to shoot what I buy.

The SVD clones are hit and miss on quality. Chinese, Romanian and Yugoslavian are your options. There are some US kit builds that fall into the same category and iffy quality. There was brief talk late last year about a US company doing a full SVD clone build, all US made parts, but that may have died in conception.

I have a PSL, and love it. .75moa and cheap ammo. Just need a place to shoot more than 100 yards.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    The Romanian PSL looks like a Dragunov, but isn't actually the same, and the two are not interchangeable as far as parts and magazines and the like. That being said, you are going to find a PSL much cheaper than you will find a true Dragunov, and the PSL will most likely fit all of your needs. The PSL does have more AK like internals though.

PSL (rifle) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Dragunov sniper rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Chinese clone of the Dragunov is the type 79.
    "Type 79" is just the military designation as well as "Type 85". The NDM-86 is the civilian version of the Type 79.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I too would love to get an actual SVD, but for the $6k - $8k they sell for, I'll spend a bit more and buy an Accuracy International in .338. I'm not a collector, I intend to shoot what I buy.

The SVD clones are hit and miss on quality. Chinese, Romanian and Yugoslavian are your options. There are some US kit builds that fall into the same category and iffy quality. There was brief talk late last year about a US company doing a full SVD clone build, all US made parts, but that may have died in conception.

I have a PSL, and love it. .75moa and cheap ammo. Just need a place to shoot more than 100 yards.
    There is not such a thing as Romanian or Yugoslavian Dragunovs, and those rifles are not SVD clones at all. The PSL-54C/SSG-97/FPK/ROMAK3 and some Yugos are based on the RPK action; the Chinese Dragunov and the SVD are not. If we want to call the PSL something it should be more correct to call it "AK", because it uses the same design. The designs of the Russian and Chinese Dragunovs are totally different from the design of the AK.

I think that the problem is that importers register Romanian rifles as "Dragunov" and even engrave "Dragunov" on the receiver, and then the dealers have to sell them as "Dragunov". I do not know if they do it because of ignorance or because they want to sell the rifles.

The Chinese rifles are supposed to be as good as the Russians, and several countries buy Dragunovs from Russia and from China. The Chinese Dragunovs are distributed by Norinco, and they are the closest you can get to a Russian SVD; they are a SVD clone. The military Type 79 (NDM-86 the civilian version) is so similar to the SVD that some people believe that the Russians sold the equipment to the Chineses so they could manufacture them; I do not know if is true or not, but it should not surprise me if it is.

The main differences between the Russian and the Chinese rifles are just esthetical things, e.g. the finish, the receiver cover, and the selector level. I would not mind buying a Chinese clone, but I would try to get a NDM-86 in .308 (not to confuse with the EM-352 .308 Win).

All I can say is Good luck! I looked and looked for a real Dragunov a few months ago and could not find one anywhere.

Centerfire systems has a PSL or rather...HAD one... Dragunov Rifle 7.62x54R Part #DRA-GUN-B

PSL's are far easier to find than an actual Dragunovs.

PS. I WANT A DRAGUNOV OR SIMILAR IN 7.62x51NATO, AKA .308!! I have never even seen one of those online. I think apache had one awhile back and I emailed them about it but they never responded.

yea, the gov't and all their pointless gun import laws. The dragunov is a great weapon, but there are better, and cheaper, guns that are far more dangerous than this. Never really understood their thinking when they decided to ban certain weapons.
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post
    All I can say is Good luck! I looked and looked for a real Dragunov a few months ago and could not find one anywhere.

Centerfire systems has a PSL or rather...HAD one... Dragunov Rifle 7.62x54R Part #DRA-GUN-B

PSL's are far easier to find than an actual Dragunovs.

PS. I WANT A DRAGUNOV OR SIMILAR IN 7.62x51NATO, AKA .308!! I have never even seen one of those online. I think apache had one awhile back and I emailed them about it but they never responded.
    I would be very careful when buying or ordering a Dragunov or a Dragunov style rifle. It happens very often that sellers (private and dealers) do not know much about these rifles or they just want to sell what they have, and then you will hear things like "the 7.62x51 version was only made by the Chinese", or "a brand new Dragunov-FPK sniper rifle", or "the Romanian version is an improvement of the Russian design", but any of those statements are correct. Before buying or ordering a rifle I would definitely take the necessary time to do my homework”.
    Last edited by GM; July 7th, 2011 at 04:22 PM.

I bet Mexico has a bunch of them.

Links