Should I get a shotgun or a handgun?

This is a discussion on Should I get a shotgun or a handgun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Why take sides. Get them both. You know you will anyhow. We all do. Then we get some more. That is the way it should ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Should I get a shotgun or a handgun?

Why take sides. Get them both. You know you will anyhow. We all do. Then we get some more. That is the way it should be....
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

2. Remove Ads

I think the shotgun would be the better second gun especially since you already have a quality handgun.

Of your choices, I prefer the Mossberg's receiver mounted safety over the Remington's trigger guard mounted one. IDK if Mossberg still makes the combo package that came with an 18" barrel and a 28" barrel since you said you might be interested in skeet/trap (which will teach you how to rapidly rack the action correctly to get the second clay).
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Neither.

Take a professional handgun course with your Sig.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PainCakesx View Post
    I'm 22, have a CHL, and live alone in a single apartment near my college campus.
    As with the others here, I favor the shotgun idea. I'm also of the "handgun(s), shotgun, rifle" camp of thought.

But you've put in something above that I'm somewhat concerned about - the fact that you live in an apartment. Have a look at various online resources, look at how much penetration 00-buck or #1-buck - both highly regarded defensive-shotgun loads - offers through typical residential structures. Sure, a defensive-caliber pistol round will offer up just as much penetration concerns, but I'm hoping that you have reasonable pistolcraft to deliver combat-effective shots at the typical 7 to 10-yard distances that span apartment confines, so I'm thinking that you likely won't miss much, if at all. With a buck-load shotgun, no-choke, at such distances, sure, I'd think that you're probably not going to get anything outside of center-mass, when an adult man-sized target is squared up to you....but what happens if the aggressor's body is bladed/offset? Once those pellets leave the barrel, you no longer can control where they go, and even if you just looked solely at the Magpul "Art of the Dynamic Shotgun" home-defense simulation scenario, that's pretty sobering.

Exclusive of that (albeit very, very important) concern, also ask yourself what purpose will the shotgun serve, in an apartment setting, in terms of its defensive role: i.e. do you have enough physical space within the rooms/halls to allow you to effectively employ the tool, do you need to further your investment, with some kind of shell-carrier, flashlight, etc.

My use of the shotgun, in home-defense, is rather simple.

I live in a "dense suburban" environment - my neighbor's houses' outside walls, to either side of our home, are anywhere between 4 to 12-yards away. I know exactly where, in their houses, my rounds are going to go, if I miss.

My shotgun is limited to my "bunker" scenario, where we're hunkered down in our "safe-room," our bedroom - and I'm covering one specific lane-of-fire that has much more target backstop, and which, should any rounds penetrate those interior walls and sail out of my house, they'll have a MUCH longer way to go, before reaching my neighbor from across our respective back yards. Once in this "bunker" scenario, I'm not looking to posture with my shotgun: I am racking the slide to chamber a round only because that is how I've chosen to store my locked shotgun (I have a 5-year-old).

I have an optic on my 870 (to help with my strong cross-dominance issue), as well as a Surefire 618LM forend (because I know, first-hand from a low-light course, that I am not going to be able to operate a stand-alone handheld flashlight in my support hand, when utilizing the shotgun). I grab it out of the closet with a full tube of Federal's FliteControl 00-buck, more of that filling both the shell holder I've got on the stock as well as the Mesa Tactical 6-round sidesaddle (where, I will confess, I've got one single Lightfield less-lethal round staged so that *if* I have the time to combat-load this round directly into the chamber, I believe that I will show to a jury that my insolely to protect my loved one - but if things really go south and I'm jacking in a round by cycling the pump as soon as I've unlocked the shotgun, then it's lethal, right from the go).

A shotgun really is an awesome tool - with slug-changeovers, it can almost become a rifle, on-the-go, and that's also part of the reason why I purchased it before I purchased my AR.

But I think that you have some very special concerns that you need to work out, before you spend your hard-earned cash.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Neither.

Take a professional handgun course with your Sig.
    You have a point worthy of consideration!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Hard to go wrong with the 500:

Mine's similar to Bugdude's. Butler Creek folding stock, side carrier, tac light. A heckuva lot of fun at the range - puts a big grin on your face every time.
    Did it come with the perforated heat shield? I went with the 590 for that reason, (and 8+1 capacity...more for zombies that HD.) If I need more than 9 rds of 12 gauge the cavalry will be here by then and they will have a tough choice to make!

Jumping ahead of myself as I get excited over other sexy shotguns I would say as you have a pistol that the shotgun would be a great choice. The versatility is unmatched and you can do alot to it if you are into that. Much like changing grips on a 1911, there are 1 million and 1 accessories for your HD shotty. I try and rotate my firearm buying to either one style then dif style then another, but it changes.

And as others have stated, you arent wrong no matter which way you go!

BigJon

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I was going to say handgun, until I saw you don't have kids.... etc.

Go with shotgun for now. You have a good handgun.

The 1911 later.
    +1! Get the combo pack with a short and long barrel. You have a good handgun, and a bird gun and a HD gun. BTW - My EDC is a 1911, but I have the combo set up in an 870 platform.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    229 and add a 500 gets you 2/3 of the way to a 3-gun shoot....
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I would recommend getting both. If you are going to use the shotgun for HD, remember its a long gun and can be hard to control in tight spots. It is a devastating tool, but is a lost art, you must get training on that weapon system. It has limited rounds compared to your pistol and can be hard to manipulate under stress.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member
    MB 500. Get a light on it.

Go try the Remington and the MB side by side at the store, the action/safety/handling features. The mb is very intuitive. Get the high capacity type.

Enjoy.

VIP Member
    Not only do I like the idea of "neither," rather get some training, you might also want to consider
    getting some H2H training in a practical martial art.

Not all problems can be solved with a gun, and it
    is only a last resort.

Take time to learn other means of defending yourself; to include everything
    from pepper spray to modest alarms on your doors and windows, to avoiding the wrong
    people and places in the first place.
    shockwave likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Not only do I like the idea of "neither," rather get some training, you might also want to consider
    getting some H2H training in a practical martial art.

Not all problems can be solved with a gun, and it
    is only a last resort.

Take time to learn other means of defending yourself; to include everything
    from pepper spray to modest alarms on your doors and windows, to avoiding the wrong
    people and places in the first place.
    Alright guys, looks like most of the votes are going to the Mossberg 500.

I wanted to mention in response to this post that I do have some H2H training - I have a 2nd degree Black Belt in Taekwondo from a world reknown practitioner (8 time World Champion and Olympic Gold Medalist), used to compete regularly back in high school and still continue to train as much as I can. I've been doing this since I was 10 and take it pretty seriously (I love it, it's such a fun sport and a good way to keep in shape :])

As to professional handgun training, I definitely intend to do some of that in the future.

I agree that guns can't solve everything, and that avoidance and being smart should be my first line of defense, but they sure can be useful when all else fails.

Thanks for the responses thus far!

I have a Mossberg 500 and am pleased with it.

The nice thing about the pump shotgun is the universal noise it makes when racking a round. Just racking a round should deter the advance of a BG and if not then ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder
    The nice thing about the pump shotgun is the universal noise it makes when racking a round. Just racking a round should deter the advance of a BG and if not then ...
    While there are virtually always exceptions, I have found generally a great deal of respect is given that sound.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links