Should I get a shotgun or a handgun?

This is a discussion on Should I get a shotgun or a handgun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Get the "Hammer of Thor", 12 gauge pump shotgun with 18 1/2" barrel....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Should I get a shotgun or a handgun?

Get the "Hammer of Thor", 12 gauge pump shotgun with 18 1/2" barrel.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Before you buy, educate yourself on the differences between an 500, 590 and the 870 express, wingmaster and police guns. They are no where near equals.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Cool

If you do decide to look at shotguns do what SIXTO suggested and look at different makes and models.

I have a 1974 Remington 870 Wingmaster that I purchased new for hunting and then began to have it done over in the 1980's to include brushed nickle finish for the humid Florida wather, pro porting to reduce muzzle flip, side saddle shell holder, pistol grip stock, tactical sling and poly choke.

The dual action bars on the older model 870's are smoother than just about anything you will find today and I believe the fit and finish are better.

My $.02.

P26093812.jpgP26094308.jpg
    click image to enlarge.....
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

If you are looking for a home shotgun, a basic Mossberg 500 or Remington Express with a 18 1/2" to 20" barrel will more than suffice. If you intend to ride with SWAT, the Drug Task Force or knock down doors in Kandahar, you probably should look at some of the more exotic offerings. Some people will tell you that only the latest Italian $1800 shotgun with lasers, lights, ghost rings and collapsible stocks will knock down a bad guy. Don't believe it, a charge of 12 gauge buckshot leaving a $250 Mossy 500 is every bit as lethal as one leaving the barrel of a $1300 Benneli M2. Your great grandchildren will still be shooting your Mossberg 500 a century after you are gone!
    Hopyard and Erick46590 like this.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Administrator
    Yes, a Timex does tell time just as a Rolex does. And a Hi Point can kill the BG just as a Sig will. No argument from me there.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    If you go the shotty route, take a look at the Benelli Nova Tactical. 18.5" bbl with rifle or ghost ring sights. Easy to shoot and has the smoothest action compared to the 500 and 870 IMO. Get the +2 extension and you have 6+1 at your disposal in a durable, reliable HD weapon. It also shoots 2-3/4", 3" and 3-1/2" shells. Prices start around $350-400 depending on model and options. I got the Nova with rifle sights. Love it.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes, a Timex does tell time just as a Rolex does. And a Hi Point can kill the BG just as a Sig will. No argument from me there.
    I am not trying to be a smartass, but the poster sounds like he is looking for basics.If you are shooting skeet at the nationals, a silky smooth action may be great, but if you are looking for something to fill an intruder with lead, I doubt the silky smooth action is going to come into play. To get back to the watch example: are you wearing the watch to tell time or to impress the ladies at the bar? Timex can do the job if telling time is the answer. (I am wearing a military green Timex right now.)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    I am not trying to be a smartass, but the poster sounds like he is looking for basics.If you are shooting skeet at the nationals, a silky smooth action may be great, but if you are looking for something to fill an intruder with lead, I doubt the silky smooth action is going to come into play. To get back to the watch example: are you wearing the watch to tell time or to impress the ladies at the bar? Timex can do the job if telling time is the answer. (I am wearing a military green Timex right now.)
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    No argument from me there.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Get yourself a shotgun for Home Defense, if that is your goal. Shotguns, in my personal opinion, are much more effective HD weapons than handguns.

If you believe that overkill is underrated, you'll fall in love with the KelTec KSG. The Remington 870 is a great HD shotgun, and it has one of the throatiest "click-clack's" of any pump shotgun I've ever heard.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Got a Mossberg 930 Semi auto combo pack,comes with an 18.5" HD barrel and a 28" Vent rib threaded barrel for screw in chokes.Semi Autos have less recoil and in most cases faster followup shots (I have seen guys run a pump at lightning speed)
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Mine is a 20 " double barrel, then it moves to the handgun if anyone is still standing or attacking.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    I'd opt for the shotgun. Either a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. With either one you can get additional barrels for a reasonable price, giving you the versatility of a defensive weapon or sporting weapon.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

RKM
    Both. Which one to get first is up to you.

Although I also advocate everyone should own a handgun, rifle, and shotgun to cover most needs, I'm gonna step aside from the prevailing wisdom and say that I prefer a handgun for inside home defense. Every weapon has it's advantages and disadvantages. Training is key, proficiency a must. I learned though that in a case where you have one arm incapacitated, trying to fire a long gun puts you at a significant disadvantage....perhaps fatally so. I'm not trying to start a debate or sway anybody away from a contrary decision when it comes to their own well being. I'm just noting my personal decision and what I believe to be a significant reason why. I also realize I could be wrong....but it wouldn't be the first time.

As was advised, take your funds and participate in a professional training course. If possible, find a course that offers training in both handguns and shotguns in a home defense environment. That way you'll learn under what scenarios which weapon is optimal.
    TSiWRX likes this.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links