Should I get a shotgun or a handgun?

This is a discussion on Should I get a shotgun or a handgun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I currently own a SIG P229 and am thinking of purchasing another gun. I'm completely split on which one to get, so I'm hoping one ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Should I get a shotgun or a handgun?

I currently own a SIG P229 and am thinking of purchasing another gun. I'm completely split on which one to get, so I'm hoping one of you can persuade me one way or another.

The two guns that I am considering is a Rock Island Armory Tactical 1911 vs a Mossberg 500 / Remington 870 (haven't decided on which of the two to get). I'll probably get one of these in August when I have more money.

The 1911 would likely be a home defense / occasional CCW / range gun (not really thinking of any competitions any time soon). The shotgun would be for home defense and maybe the occasional skeet / trap shooting with my cousin who is more into it.

I really want a 1911, but at the same time I feel I should get a long gun before purchasing another handgun (especially since the P229 is already a fine handgun).

Any advice?

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Any kids?
    Do you hunt?
    What is your situation?

I'm 22, have a CHL, and live alone in a single apartment near my college campus.

No kids, I typically don't party, and am fairly tight lipped about my CHL and the fact I have gun(s).

Hunting is a possibility, though not a certainty at this point.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I'd go for the shotgun for home defense. The Sig is great for carry when out and about. You can also get interchangeable barrels for the 870 for multiple use if you want.
    10thmtn likes this.

If you already have a handgun you like, then I might expand the collection with a shottie.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Most people say that when building a well rounded arsenal for personal/home protection, one should have at least one pistol, one rifle, and one shotgun. Those who live in cities and urban areas can usually do without a rifle unless they have a sporting need or just really want one.

Personally, when acquiring my arsenal, I ended up getting two or three handguns before I got around to getting a shotgun. It's really all about personal preference. There are certainly no hard and fast rules. There are pro's and con's with each tool. Personally I use my shotgun predominantly as a piece of heavy artillery. Used from inside a barricaded position inside my safe room. If they breach the door, it's time for the 12 ga.

If I have to be mobile, inside my house, I either utilize a pistol with a mounted weapon light or my AR-15 carbine with collapsible stock. Both are easier to maintain control over in a struggle than my shotgun.
    Belskisfast likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Yeah, I went the opposite route and started with the 870 (great gun btw) and added the 18" barrel. But I also pheasant hunt so that played into it... I now use my XDM as a bedside gun and have since acquired a total of 4 handguns (three 9mm and one .22).

No matter which you get now, you'll get the other one soon enough anyway!

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I started with a handgun, got a 12ga (Remington 887 NitroMag- AWESOME gun, just so you know), then I got my .45 and second (but the only useful one I have) .22.

I have yet to hear a sound as intimidating in the dark as a 12ga being pumped. Scares the... stuff... out of most anyone. I have to recommend a shotgun; it will make you happy, and be possibly the best HD tool you have. Especially if you go the proper route- Moss. 500, or Rem. 870- and get something with a lot of aftermarket options. I love my 887, but there isn't anything out there for it to make it more 'mine'.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

The Mossberg or any tactical shotgun is an awesome HD choice. Do you have a place where you can practice with a shotgun on a regular basis? Just something to consider. If so, having a long gun is an excellent choice to compliment your Sig.

Administrator
    A shotgun is much more versatile.
    In todays age and social climate, I think every household needs a solid combat shotgun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    I'd go for the shotgun for home defense. The Sig is great for carry when out and about. You can also get interchangeable barrels for the 870 for multiple use if you want.
    Agree I have a 12 gauge pump under my bed for home. If you want something for going out get a pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to say handgun, until I saw you don't have kids.... etc.

Go with shotgun for now. You have a good handgun.

The 1911 later.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

12ga shotty

Here is my Mossberg 500 decked out for HD. Has collapsable stock, shell holder, and weapon mounted light with strobe and constant beam.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

The best piece of mind I ever brought home was my Mossberg 500A Persuader. It doesn't get to see much range time, but it sure is a comfort knowing that it's there and ready for home defense if need be. IMO, there's not much defense against it for close quarters should it need to be deployed.. I say get the shotgun first as you have an awesome carry piece already. Once the shottie is in the inventory then go for the other sidearm.

BD- I like the folding stock on your Mossberg. Mine is sporting the pistol grip that came with it, but I'm gonna look for one like on yours, that one looks like the way to go IMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Hard to go wrong with the 500:

Mine's similar to Bugdude's. Butler Creek folding stock, side carrier, tac light. A heckuva lot of fun at the range - puts a big grin on your face every time.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links