Fuzzy sights

This is a discussion on Fuzzy sights within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently added a Ruger LC9 to my summer wardrobe. To practice the LONG trigger pull, I used some snap caps. As I was targeting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuzzy sights

Fuzzy sights

I recently added a Ruger LC9 to my summer wardrobe. To practice the LONG trigger pull, I used some snap caps. As I was targeting different objects around my apt. I noticed that the sights were fuzzy. I cleaned my glasses but that did not solve the problem. I suddenly realized that I need to point my nose to the ceiling to bring them into focus. Guess if I ever have to use it in a SHTF situation, I will just have to aim with fuzzy sights. Maturity sucks.
    Kimber Custom II Target Stainless, S&W M&P 9, Rugar LC9

2. Remove Ads

It might be time to visit the old eye Doc.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I can relate, I just got my first ever pair of Rx glasses and learning to shoot all over again with progressive bifocals is interesting. I must admit though it's amazing to be able to see the holes in the target without going cold range to walk up and peek.

I've accepted that the front sight is going to be a bit fuzzy but it's STILL a load clearer than it was prior to the glasses. I tried like you to tilt the head way back but shooting bobble head style just didn't work for me.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    if you shoot frequently you may get a lens focused on the front sight ( around 38"s, hand gun at full extension is about the same as a rifles front sight).
    have the strong eye that way and the other eye 'normal'. keep them in your range bag. clearly, you will have more fun
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

All you have to do is turn your bifocals upside down and you'll solve that problem!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Smile

I have the same problem. I went to Walmart where i got my last pair of glasses made and explained the problem to the manager. She checked my prescription and and told me that it was an easy fix,all you have to do is have the lab flip your prescriptoin upside down and you are gtg. I just got my pair back last week and it made a hugh difference! On the plus side if you do any overhead work your neck doesn't get bent out of joint trying to see out the bottom of you lenses.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    The older gentleman who's the previous owner of my Kahr PM9 replaced the factory sights with a set of fiber-optic Williams FireSights, specifically because he had a problem picking up the front sight on this little pistol.

Just throwing a potential solution out there.

I have an Ex who is an ER nurse. The cardiac monitors are mounted on the wall above the patient's head. She had the same problem and her eye doc wrote a prescription for top and bottom bifocals. I would think it would work the same shooting.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Did you check for dust in the sights?
    It happens...for a short time, I thought the front sight on one of my Glocks was beginning to fade, but it was just dust.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Who needs sights on an LCP... point shoot it! You'll be faster and more accurate. ( and you might want to have your lenses adjusted )
    "Just blame Sixto"

When I told my eye doctor I shoot handguns, she first asked if I had a pistol with me and when I said yes, she had me take a shooting stance and proceeded with the eye exam based on the distance from eyeball to front sight. (Before you ask, yes we both verified the weapon was unloaded) Now I have bifocals that focus the lower potion on the front sight and the upper portion on the target.

Of course I had to buy a second pair of glasses because the only way I could read was to put the book out at arms length.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    When I told my eye doctor I shoot handguns, she first asked if I had a pistol with me and when I said yes, she had me take a shooting stance and proceeded with the eye exam based on the distance from eyeball to front sight. (Before you ask, yes we both verified the weapon was unloaded) Now I have bifocals that focus the lower potion on the front sight and the upper portion on the target.

Of course I had to buy a second pair of glasses because the only way I could read was to put the book out at arms length.
    Your eye doc is awesome
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    OP I hear your pain, I have trifocals. To get my front sight in focus, I have to find the middle section of my lenses and put that on the sight - of course, then the target is way out of focus. On the premise that you will perform under pressure how you train, I would not get special shooting glasses for my SD training. While they may be helpful for plinking or target shooting, you need to be able to get your gun reliably and accurately deployed in a real life situation wearing your normal attire.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I went through this about 6 years ago. Since I practice self defense shooting mostly, I just line up the blurry front sight with the blurry target and let fly. That's if I even use the sights at all. I decided against a pair of dedicated shooting glasses since I wouldn't have them on in a self defense scenario anyway. I also practice without my normal glasses on and just use safety glasses. I figure my glasses may come off in a self defense scenario and I want to practice that way.
    Question Everything!

They're also making the print on labels (especially medicine labels) a lot smaller than they used to also. I think it is a conspiracy to make us all think we need glasses.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links