Hollywood and Guns.

This is a discussion on Hollywood and Guns. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hollywood isn't to bright when it comes to realism. I can name movie after movie that have portrayed computers, laws of physics, or even historical ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hollywood and Guns.

Hollywood and Guns.

Hollywood isn't to bright when it comes to realism. I can name movie after movie that have portrayed computers, laws of physics, or even historical facts incorrectly. But I thought it might make for an interesting topic to see if we can point out all of the times Hollywood has portrayed guns incorrectly.

One common theme I see in nearly all movies that I find irritating are what I like to call "gun noises." Anyone ever notice when watching a movie that if a person is holding a gun that is constantly makes little "clicky" noises every time the gun is moved or handled? I am always wondering, "Is the slide loose on that gun or something?"

If somebody is shot in a movie and they are a bad guy, especially a non-important bad guy, they tend to die instantly no matter where they are shot.

If they are a protagonist and shot, they will live but there will be tons of blood all over the place, no matter where they are hit, as if a major artery were hit.

When being shot, a person always falls down, or gets blown backwards from the force of the bullet.

Automatic weapons are not very accurate in movies. Even a room full of bad guys with fully-automatic weapons can't hit one person in the center of the room (Tomb Raider)

Guns always make a good substitute for keys and opening doors. Fortunately, Mythbusters did an episode on this.

Magazines have infinite ammunition in them.

Oh.. and one last thing. When showing a slow motion of a bullet flying through the air, how many times have we seen the bullet with the shell still attached?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Hey, I love the original A-Team television show! Even if they were all horrible marksmen.

On one hand, I'd like to present to you - The Way of the Gun - on the other, Equilibrium. I enjoy both movies tremendously, but for very different reasons.
    limatunes likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    for all the zillions of rounds fired in the Matrix--they changed guns rather than magazines
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ "New York Reload"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    But I thought it might make for an interesting topic to see if we can point out all of the times Hollywood has portrayed guns incorrectly.
    This could be a VERY long thread.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Movies are real, just deal with it.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Some of the directors, and actors, have pushed for better realism with the way the guns, and ammo, have been portrayed. At least the actors/actresses are more likely to hold the guns properly now, and to actually attempt to use the sights instead of magically hitting their targets every time.

The worst thing I remember about a lot of movies dating back into the 80s (back when I was a little kid) was how they kept referring to semi-auto weapons as automatic ones. I just remember watching a documentary with my Dad about military firearms and how they explained the difference between semi-auto and automatic clearly and in no uncertain terms. So here I was after that, this little 7 or 8 year old kid watching movies, and I was asking my Dad why they didn't know what type of gun they were using.

I was also the kid that watched Bambi and wondered why everyone was crying over the deaths of Bambi's parents. All I could think about was helping my Dad and his friends cleaning deer every year after the gun deer season and eating fresh venison. I guess I grew up with a different mindset.

the shell still attached?

a 'shell' is another term for a live round.
    used in the context you are meaning a 'casing' or the 'case' perhaps?

as the case holds the components of a cartridge together...it would be rather funny to see one 'flying through the air'
    -------------------

If somebody is shot in a movie and they are a bad guy, especially a non-important bad guy, they tend to die instantly no matter where they are shot.
    Unless the protagonist needs information from them. Then they generally die shortly after giving the protagonist time to get what they need and get in a good one-liner.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Senior Moderator
    The Way of the Gun did have some GREAT gun-fighting in it.

YouTube - ‪The Way of the Gun Shootout‬‏

Of course there is the classic Collateral scene.

But my biggest pet peeve is how m any times you see someone cocking a gun/racking the slide/pumping a shotgun, etc. By the time they actually get to shooting their gun would be empty!

Having shot an automatic Uzi before I don't fault movies for portraying someone as not being able to hit crap with them (if they don't know what they are doing).. they easily become anti-air firearms and can be very hard to hang on to..lol. However, if someone is portrayed to know what they are doing in at least keeping the firearm level then spray-and-pray works pretty well. You just have to keep it going side to side instead of up and out of your hands.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Unless the protagonist needs information from them. Then they generally die shortly after giving the protagonist time to get what they need and get in a good one-liner.
    Or unless it is the MAIN bad guy... then it takes him ten hours to die and 100 rounds.

The pointed gun (semi-auto handgun, lever action rifle, etc.) never has a round in the chamber until the holder of the gun wants to make it very clear he's about to shoot somebody.

Police will clear an abandoned building holding a gun without a round in the chamber.

Quick thinking, weapons expert, CIA trained killer Jason Bourne will dive down a stairwell and chamber a round in mid-air rather than carry a gun ready-to-go!

Likewise, pointed revolvers are never cocked until the guy holding it gets really serious.

A similar pet peeve of mine: the sword or knife always makes a metallic sound when it comes out of a leather sheath.

Of course there is the classic Collateral scene.

that is a favorite end of an IDPA game at my club. sets up real fast.
    we provide blanks for those whose safety has not been confirmed--
    and even of those of us who are qualified, all but 3 use the blanks.
    its like: safety 1st, safety 2nd, safety 3rd....than have fun.
    -------------------

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    for all the zillions of rounds fired in the Matrix--they changed guns rather than magazines
    Fastest reload is another gun

Main Page - imfdb :. guns in movies :. movie guns :. the internet movie firearms database
    ^^ one of the best gun sites around for pointing out things hollywood messed up with gun continuity.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Hollywood isn't to bright when it comes to realism. I can name movie after movie that have portrayed computers, laws of physics, or even historical facts incorrectly. But I thought it might make for an interesting topic to see if we can point out all of the times Hollywood has portrayed guns incorrectly.

One common theme I see in nearly all movies that I find irritating are what I like to call "gun noises." Anyone ever notice when watching a movie that if a person is holding a gun that is constantly makes little "clicky" noises every time the gun is moved or handled? I am always wondering, "Is the slide loose on that gun or something?"

If they are a protagonist and shot, they will live but there will be tons of blood all over the place, no matter where they are hit, as if a major artery were hit.

When being shot, a person always falls down, or gets blown backwards from the force of the bullet.

Automatic weapons are not very accurate in movies. Even a room full of bad guys with fully-automatic weapons can't hit one person in the center of the room (Tomb Raider)

Guns always make a good substitute for keys and opening doors. Fortunately, Mythbusters did an episode on this.

Magazines have infinite ammunition in them.

Oh.. and one last thing. When showing a slow motion of a bullet flying through the air, how many times have we seen the bullet with the shell still attached?
    For "PRIVATE RYAN" they did a lot of research on the sounds of guns as reported by survivors of D-Day - and tried to reproduce the sensation thru sound and eye of being there, especially that first 20 min of film. I thought it was excellent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links