Mauser (are they real?)

Mauser (are they real?)

This is a discussion on Mauser (are they real?) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Every gun mag. I read has for years had at least one ad for a like new Original German Mauser. Have any of you purchased ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By HotGuns

Thread: Mauser (are they real?)

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

Mauser (are they real?)

Every gun mag. I read has for years had at least one ad for a like new Original German Mauser. Have any of you purchased one of these? Are they really real or just current reproductions off of new/old tooling? Just curious. Get the feeling they aren't what they are advertised to be. Equally sure their value is not going up as many as there seem to be available for purchase. But I've been wrong before so thought I'd ask.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Senior Moderator
    Yes, they are very real. Most of them came from warehouses in Europe where they were stored in Cosmoline for many years in anticipation of WW3, which thankfully hasnt come yet, so many of them were released for sale to the U.S.

Most of the dates are anywhere from pre-WW2 to around the early 70's and they could be from any country back then. For the most part, the military rifles with the unit markings and country crests have been sopped up by Milsurp collectors, but every now and then a real colllector grade can be found.

I have a couple of dozen Milsurps, along with several different Mausers from various countrys.
    QKShooter and swiftyjuan like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If you're talking about Mitchell Mauser's K98's the consensus among the surplus rifle collecting world seems to be that they are Russian captures that are cleaned up and are made to be matching numbers rather than the mismatched numbered rifles they started as. Not as collectable as originals are, but if you're just looking for a nice looking period rifle they are ok, if a bit overpriced for what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Every gun mag. I read has for years had at least one ad for a like new Original German Mauser. Have any of you purchased one of these? Are they really real or just current reproductions off of new/old tooling? Just curious. Get the feeling they aren't what they are advertised to be. Equally sure their value is not going up as many as there seem to be available for purchase. But I've been wrong before so thought I'd ask.
    Not sure about the Mauser but I know there is some company making brand-new Lugers. But unfortunately, they are non-working replicas.

Links