In need of advice...

This is a discussion on In need of advice... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was looking the other day at some guns they may soon be part of the home defence force... 1) a Colt 1991-A1 Compact 3.5inch ...

Thread: In need of advice...

Talking In need of advice...

I was looking the other day at some guns they may soon be part of the home defence force...

1) a Colt 1991-A1 Compact 3.5inch Barrel, USED, Blued Finish, Priced at $469.99 with one year soup to nuts warranty.

Was a lil dirty but am asking for it to be cleaned before progressing...

Hows the price on that...? Pros/Cons...?

2) Bersa .380. The wife was looking for something a bit more concealable then her P239 Sig... I have heard good things about the Bersa so far... Looking for any other comments... It is in the $250-270 range depending on finish...
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

2. Remove Ads

Hmmmmm. I have an anti-Colt (80s-90s) prejudice, so I would be inclined towards a Springfield. $469 should get you well into a moderately featured Springer. If you aren't in a lust relationship with the Pony, I think they are over priced.

VIP Member
    Don't know anything about the Colt, but the Bersa in a good pistol. My wife has one and loves it. If you decide to got with the Bersa check the decock/safety lever. They are sometimes extremely hard to move. The company will fix it under warranty, but why waste the time. I had one before I got my P239 and the decocker/safety on it was smooth as silk. My wife's is a struggle.

A couple of other pistols in the same size and weight category as the Bersa .380, but with more power are the Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact in 9mm and .45 cal. and the CZ 2075 RAMI in 9mm and .40 cal. My wife has the Bersa UC9 and really likes it. She will start carrying it as soon as the additional mag I ordered arrives. She really wanted the CZ RAMI, but at the time we were looking we could not find one. When it's 75 miles or so to a gun shop you don't say let's just go home and well come back another day to see if they have a RAMI. She handled the Bersa and liked it well enough to decide to buy it.

Hope that helps.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    on the colt blue book shows
    100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
    $500 $400 $350 $325 $300 $250 $225
    Last MSR was $556.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    The colt is overpriced.
    If your wife wants concealed, the bersa is a good option, she will be more likely to carry if she chooses what she wants.
    Fear No Evil.

Assistant Administrator
    Re the Bersa - dr_cmg is right about the safety/decock lever - it can be very stiff. It does ease tho with use.

My wife has my original Thunder .380 - I bought one for step daughter and also assisted in purchase of one for a friend of ours. Price on these was around $219 - but they may be a bit more here and there.

I'd go so far as to say that it is worth getting one - anyways! It will be all but guaranteed a good and relaible shooter, whatever use to which it is put.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I saw my first Bersa .380 failure sunday. Working at the range when a couple brought her Bersa in to practice with. Wal Mart ammo, approximately 1 year old gun and it fired then suddenly siezed .

The slide could only be retracted about half an inch. I offered to have them leave it for the range owner to inspect, the customer declined saying he wanted to tinker with it.

Unusual for a relatively reliable and quality pistol. Not passing any negative judgements. I have seen just about all makes and models have a broken gun or two in their line up. I usually suggest folks use the factory warranty, especially if you are the first owner.

John (member of the broken gun brotherhood!!)

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    i'd look around for a better deal on a Colt....
    Bersas are nice though...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I found this pic on the net. The Colt I'm looking at looks exactly like this one...

I called Colt with the Seriel Number, they said it was manufactured in 1995... They stopped making the 1991A1 Compacts in 1999.
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

Sounds like you really want the Colt..........

Lead Moderator
    with all the troubles I read about FTF, FTE from 3" 1911's I would pass and find a 4" if you want a 1911.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links