Off the main stream custom .45's. Got one?

This is a discussion on Off the main stream custom .45's. Got one? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just curious if anyone owns any of the "tier two" custom 45 ACP's. I say this with no disrespect but rather those custom gun builders ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TCT
  • 1 Post By WC145
  • 1 Post By jwhite75

Thread: Off the main stream custom .45's. Got one?

Off the main stream custom .45's. Got one?

Just curious if anyone owns any of the "tier two" custom 45 ACP's. I say this with no disrespect but rather those custom gun builders we hear about but are not in the main stream with serious advertising like Les Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, and so on. I am curious about Stan Chen custom Pistols, Volkmann Pistols, Heirloom Precision and others in this category. Not sure where Caspian might fall. They all seem like very fine weapons but I do not see much about these weapons or hear about those who own them. I know your there.

So who here owns one of these higher end items and what are your thoughts? I am just weighing the uniqueness of owning something few own vs. staying with what I think I want. A custom T3 stainless from Nighthawk Custom

Look froward to thoughts and comments.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I have a CCO chambered in 10mm on order with Fusion Firearms going on 8 weeks. 16 more to go. Built to my specs from the ground up with the features I wanted put on it. Ask again in 16 weeks.

Not sure if Fusion fits into your second tier since they haven't been around as long a Baer Wilson or Brown. The owner of the company is former President of Dan Wesson.

The Volkmanns you mentioned and other custom builders like Yost and Warner, IMO, can never be considered lower tier builders. Their builds are considered some of the best ever produced.

Also look at Guncrafter Industries. They now have a Commander model in .50 AE.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Thanks for the feedback Deadguy. I will be curious to see pix and hear your thoughts. By the use of second tier I only mean so by level of advertising and name recognition. For sure not quality. Never heard of Fusion but interest peaked since I love Dan Wesson's. Big fan.

There are many 1911 forums where you can look at the work from various manufacturers and talk to some real 1911 crackheads (experts is more like it). There is much to learn about the 1911 platform and there are people that know much about it. Some beautiful works of art made by some amazing smiths out there. I'm seeking a second custom builder for a future order so I am researching quite a but myself.

TCT
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog44 View Post
    what I think I want.
    What you want is to own one (or two...or three) from each maker so you are 100% covered. Problem solved. :)
    bigdog44 likes this.

I have a Fusion 9mm CCO, it's a very nice gun, accurate, well fitted and finished. I got it because I wanted a 9mm CCO and it happened along at the right time at the right price. The quality is excellent and their customer service is outstanding. They offer some very nice guns at comparetively reasonable prices.

My other 1911s, while not cheap, are mostly pretty standard fare, guns that I like and that work well for me and I have them modified and personalized as needed for the tasks assigned them. I do like and appreciate the higher end guns but can't justify the cost as I don't need to wring the last bit of accuracy out of a gun or have all of the little touches that drive the prices up. Mine are "working guns" and I don't fret over a scratch here or some wear there, I'd be freaking out if I wacked my $4000 Volkmann on the car door or a desk or something.

Here's a couple of pics of my Fusion. The first one was taken by Fusion, the second I took the other day. I've been carrying it off duty since last fall.

bigdog44 likes this.

I have a Fusion also, a full size Scout. It's my first and so far only 1911 so I have nothing to compare to, but I'm really happy with the quality. There's no play in the slide, fit and finish are great, I've had no mechanical issues or feed/fire/eject issues in 500 rounds (all FMJ) and I was able to customize it to my specs. I'm a decent shooter but no marksman, but my last outing put 48 of 50 rounds within a 3" group at about 20 feet. I'm sure others could do better but this was a banner day for me. The pistol is very accurate if you do your part. Here's what mine looks like: scout2.jpg
    Attached Images

I dont own one but I definitely agree their are some jewels out there that just dont have the same advertising and its probably good because a normal person would never get one. I tend to think i would look to Rogers Precision.

ROGERS PRECISION

His stuff just looks right and has never been given a bad review that I have read.
    bigdog44 likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Thanks Deadguy. You are so right, there are some great gunsmiths. What a talent.

Thanks guys for sharing your Fusions as well. Look great.

Hadn't heard of Rogers but a few of those are really nice looking pieces as well. Something to dream about for off in the future. Maybe take TCT's advice and just own one of each. Why not???? Oh, money you say? Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I dont own one but I definitely agree their are some jewels out there that just dont have the same advertising and its probably good because a normal person would never get one. I tend to think i would look to Rogers Precision.

ROGERS PRECISION

His stuff just looks right and has never been given a bad review that I have read.
    Definitely look at Chuck Rogers' work.

Here are some others with a couple already named.

Stan Chen
    Luke Volkmann
    Chuck Warner
    Chuck Rogers
    Bob Rodgers
    Dave Berryhill
    Larry Vickers
    Dave Severns

Do a search on 1911 Pistolsmiths or Custom 1911, then get a towel to wipe the drool from your keyboard.
    Last edited by deadguy; July 20th, 2011 at 08:52 AM. Reason: changed name to correct it

Heck I have had my very own drool cup for years. I've seen many of the guns you listed if only.

Been trying to befriend someone who can engrave as well. Would love a fully engraved Colt but don't want to sell the wife or kids. Guess these are all apart of the dream.

Links