Gamo Whisper

Gamo Whisper

This is a discussion on Gamo Whisper within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently acquired a Gamo Whisper .177 air rifle. LOVE IT. Groups within 1.25" @ 20 yds. for me at the moment and I've only ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Gamo Whisper

Gamo Whisper

I recently acquired a Gamo Whisper .177 air rifle. LOVE IT. Groups within 1.25" @ 20 yds. for me at the moment and I've only got 250 rounds through it. (at a price of 5.99 for 250, this I can afford and not be working at the moment)
    My question is:
    How long will the charge last if you crank it, load a pellet and let it sit waiting for Mr. Woodchuck to appear?
    Anyone have any experience on this?

Jim

VIP Member
    Hi, I also have one love it. Knock Squirells over at 90' out. I often loaded mine and left it sit for a day or so and shot away. Enjoy.

The Gamo Whisper is a spring-cocking air gun.. there is no "charge" to leak down. However, good practice with springers is to not put them away cocked. Learn how to de-cock your gun, and do that if your shooting/hunting session ends with the gun cocked 'n' locked... or just pop a round into the dirt.

FWIW, 'chucks are some seriously tough critters and in my youth I had a few run away after being hit with a .22 Long. Use a heavy pellet, don't shoot past 20 yards or so, and go for an eye shot.

Pigeons, on the other hand, are fair game at 40-50 yards with that gun if you're a good shot...
    ccman likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have the hunter and like your Whisper it is a very accurate air gun. Their is an after market upgrade some kind of oil filled piston thing... but here in MI they are considered a silenced gun so are illegal... go figure....

One Caveat though go buy a .17 cal cleaning kit, yes they get dirty too and accuracy will suffer if you do not keep it clean.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    great gun...and i was winning my war against the monks under my patio and in the stone walls.
    i was winning, honest.....than the wakes began, 20 would come and 10 would stay.
    but i was winning....

With pratice I think the Gammo should be more accurate than 1.25 at 20 yds. You might try a different pellet type. Like was previously stated, they are spring action and should not be stored cocked.

My Beeman (200 bucks with a .177 and .22 barrel) will shoot like this if I do my part. The one fly was me, not the gun. These are 1" squares and was shot at 20 yds.

042.jpg
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I recently bought a Crossman Titan NP .22 for critter control. It worked well, but the trigger was horrible. Someone sent me to a site for aftermarket triggers, and I must say it's made a world of difference. I've left mine cocked during the day, but generally just pop it into the yard when I know I'm done. I caught one groundhog in the ear and he was DRT. But I've winged a couple with less than head shots. They have learned to keep away from the garden so we are at an uneasy truce right now.

CharlieDaTuna offers NPSS, NP, CBR, GTX-III, & GRT-III triggers
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I put one of Charlie's triggers in my Benjamin. Very easy and world of difference.

I have one and really like it. Critters in the back yard are no more. Agree on the cleaning kit. Dirt really jacks up the accuracy.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Thanks for the replies. I have a student who's father has a little pellet league behind his house every weekend so I know I'll get better with practice. I"m within an inch now using a rest and can hit those little spinner/reset targets pretty easily free standing.
    I don't leave it cocked at night but have left it for several hours. I'll look into a cleaning kit...
    Haven't gotten a shot off at a 'chuck yet, but I've trapped 5 in the last week and a half (All babies)
    Jim

Links