Question

This is a discussion on Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a FL resident who frequently travels throughout the state sometimes spending the night at various hotels/motels some in good safe enviroments and some ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By MattInFla
  • 3 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By hogdaddy
  • 1 Post By Secret Spuk

Thread: Question

Question

I am a FL resident who frequently travels throughout the state sometimes spending the night at various hotels/motels some in good safe enviroments and some in not so good areas. Does anyone know the law in regards to being able to have my weapon and defend myself in/on hotel/motel property? I checked my manual and did not recall reading anything saying I could NOT have the weapon in hotel/motel room. FYI I do have my CCW permit.

Thanks,
    Shaun

2. Remove Ads

I believe, correct me if I am wrong, that the Castle Doctrine includes hotels and motels that you are legally renting. I think the only thing that could stop you would be if the place was posted as no guns allowed.

Ok thanks, guess I need to pay close attention before signing or ask.

Administrator
    You're fine. Although temporary, that hotel room is your home as long as you are occupying it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    May I suggest you get a copy of "Florida Firearms" by Jon Gutmacher? The definitive work on Florida firearms laws, available in many gun stores and on his website.

For purposes of Florida law, your hotel room is treated like your home for the time you rent it. The presumptions in F.S. 776.013 (aka the 'Castle Doctrine') apply.

“Dwelling” means a building or conveyance of any kind, including any attached porch, whether the building or conveyance is temporary or permanent, mobile or immobile, which has a roof over it, including a tent, and is designed to be occupied by people lodging therein at night.
    Matt
    retnavy likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    With the crap that goes on in hotels, you wouldn't find me in one WITHOUT a gun.

Case in point...Double Tree hotel in Memphis, a nice hotel. Even has valet parking. A memphis Police Officer was killed in the line of duty there at the hotel while responding to a domestic dispute just last week.

No where, no place is immune.
    retnavy, bmcgilvray and 640girl like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    With the crap that goes on in hotels, you wouldn't find me in one WITHOUT a gun.

No where, no place is immune.
    ^^^THIS^^^^
    I just got back from vacation in Panama City Beach, While in the room & no disturb sing on door
    I heard the door knob trying to open got gun look out peep hole & the maid was there.

I told her I din't need anythig & pointed to sign & she stated sorry, So Ive told her while you
    disturbed me Hand me 4 towels and don't bother coming back til I request your service ; )
    H/D PS Beach was GREAT
    retnavy likes this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Shaun...

I'm also a Florida resident. I also travel for work, and find myself staying in hotels, and motels quite often. I cant remember seing any one of the posted though. Maybe it's in the fine print. When I go on the road I always have at least one firearm with me. It's concealed. No one know but me. My advice would be to not worry about it. Your legal under Florida law. The worst that can happen is they ask you to find another hotel.

I can tell some really scary hotel/motel stories from Florida...lol Just carry ya gun dude.

Spuk!
    retnavy likes this.

Shaun...training...earliest possible time, get signed up for "professional" defensive handgun training...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattus Vir View Post
    I believe, correct me if I am wrong, that the Castle Doctrine includes hotels and motels that you are legally renting. I think the only thing that could stop you would be if the place was posted as no guns allowed.
    "No Gun" signs in FL are meaningless. I never see them. If I did, I can ignore them. Castle doctrine extends to your hotel room or even in a business, but not your car. They figure you have the means to escape (preclude) an attack. The legal language in FL hinges on use of deadly force to prevent or halt grave imminent danger to you or another person (the "in-your-shoes" clause) from a violent felony: murder, rape, robbery, kidnapping, home invasion, etc.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    May I suggest you get a copy of "Florida Firearms" by Jon Gutmacher? The definitive work on Florida firearms laws, available in many gun stores and on his website.

Matt
    I'll second this! When I found out I'd be spending a couple months in Florida for work I bought a copy and read it cover to cover. Great book, I actually kept it in the car while I was down there. The author actually provides interim updates on his website.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    "No Gun" signs in FL are meaningless. I never see them. If I did, I can ignore them. Castle doctrine extends to your hotel room or even in a business, but not your car. They figure you have the means to escape (preclude) an attack. The legal language in FL hinges on use of deadly force to prevent or halt grave imminent danger to you or another person (the "in-your-shoes" clause) from a violent felony: murder, rape, robbery, kidnapping, home invasion, etc.
    this is not quite correct, your car is your castle as far as the law is concerned, if you are sitting in your car and someone attempts to enter the car it would be like they were invading your home. there is no requirement to escape any situation in fla.
    please don't post inaccurate info

Quote Originally Posted by retnavy View Post
    I am a FL resident who frequently travels throughout the state sometimes spending the night at various hotels/motels some in good safe enviroments and some in not so good areas. Does anyone know the law in regards to being able to have my weapon and defend myself in/on hotel/motel property? I checked my manual and did not recall reading anything saying I could NOT have the weapon in hotel/motel room. FYI I do have my CCW permit.

Thanks,
    Shaun
    Can't see why it would be illegal. If you can have a weapon I'd think automatically you could defend yourself. But ask local authorities. Always the best source of info.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yankeejib knows not of which he speaks. FL allows you to defend yourself, including the use of deadly force, anywhere you have the right to be--including your car or any in which you may be riding.

Anyone who can legal possess a handgun (over 18, not a felon, etc.) can conceal that gun inside a vehicle as long as it is "securely encased," specifically:

“Securely encased” means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access."

One cannot have it "concealed on the person" unless one has a CC permit.

Hotels are not on the list where legal CC is prohibited
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links