Tool not needed for full length guide rod

This is a discussion on Tool not needed for full length guide rod within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just a little tip in case it hasnt been discussed. For those that have a 1911 with a FLGR and dislike the need for the ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By JD
  • 1 Post By JD

Thread: Tool not needed for full length guide rod

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

Tool not needed for full length guide rod

Just a little tip in case it hasnt been discussed.

For those that have a 1911 with a FLGR and dislike the need for the Allen wrench to remove it and field strip, truth is, you don't need the wrench.

Lock the slide back, and simply unscrew it by hand enough to get it started and it's done. No tool needed
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

2. Remove Ads

No tools needed for my Rock Island full size. :)

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Just a little tip in case it hasnt been discussed.

For those that have a 1911 with a FLGR and dislike the need for the Allen wrench to remove it and field strip, truth is, you don't need the wrench.

Lock the slide back, and simply unscrew it by hand enough to get it started and it's done. No tool needed
    If it's loose enough to undo by hand, it's loose enough to come off on it's own and fly down range. Ditch the two piece rods, if you must have a FLGR get a one piece of the proper length.

Do not understand the FLGR in the first place. Don't have one, never will, but thanks for the tip, I might have to take down someone else's 1911.

Even at its tightest I can unscrew it by hand with the slide locked back, and then retighten it by hand. With the number of turns it takes to tighten it down I don't see how it could fly out during a range session, especially since no part of the slide's action would cause the rod to twist.

Removing the FLGR turns a 5" 1911 into a mil-spec design, except for the open end which would collect powder residue and lent. I'm not saying it should be carried that way but simply pointing it out

JD
    Administrator
    Even at its tightest I can unscrew it by hand with the slide locked back, and then retighten it by hand. With the number of turns it takes to tighten it down I don't see how it could fly out during a range session, especially since no part of the slide's action would cause the rod to twist.

Removing the FLGR turns a 5" 1911 into a mil-spec design, except for the open end which would collect powder residue and lent. I'm not saying it should be carried that way but simply pointing it out
    There are full length, one piece rods that use the same plug, if you switch to a GI guide, you should replace the plug as well.

I've seen more than a few forward sections of 2 piece rods go down range.

Not so fast... look at how a colonial "whimdiddle" toy works. You don't need direct torsional force on that guide rod to make it unscrew. And like JD, I have seen a part of a 2-piece guide go sailing down range.

The first thing I did to my Springer TRP was to dump the FLGR in favor of $18 worth of basic 1911 parts from Brownells. My primary concern was disassembly in the field without special tools.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Not so fast... look at how a colonial "whimdiddle" toy works. You don't need direct torsional force on that guide rod to make it unscrew. And like JD, I have seen a part of a 2-piece guide go sailing down range.

The first thing I did to my Springer TRP was to dump the FLGR in favor of $18 worth of basic 1911 parts from Brownells. My primary concern was disassembly in the field without special tools.
    Thank you guys for clearing this up. I thought I had stumbled upon something wonderful!!

I guess if push came to shove in a real situation where I had a malfunction and had to disassemble it could work, but I guess in a controlled environment it needs to be tightened down hard.

There is something to be said for simplicity, as in the original design. I ain't no 1911 expert, but I never could figure out what a flgr was supposed to accomplish.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Better yet, toss the FLGR and install a GM plug and spring guide, problem solved.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

This is only one view but full-length guide rod not needed for 1911 pistols.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links