Kimber Ultra Carry Price questions

This is a discussion on Kimber Ultra Carry Price questions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I stopped at the local pawn shop yesterday to see what they had. I just wanted to look. Who doesn't like to look at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Kimber Ultra Carry Price questions

So I stopped at the local pawn shop yesterday to see what they had. I just wanted to look. Who doesn't like to look at guns right? Well I saw a Kimber Ultra Carry (II? not sure). I saw they wanted $649 for it. I looked it over and noticed it looks as though the thing has never been cleaned or what ever because it was filthy. It had 2 Kimber Mags with it. when it was all said and done the guy told me $550 out the door. He would throw in a generic box. It had what I think is called 'target sights' on it, no dots and no glow. It had a little surface rust on the barrel. I didn't dis-assemble it and just locked the slide back once or twice. Then he said to make him an offer since I didn't bite on the $550 out the door. So I left to think about it.

I looked it up at a near by gunshop and can get a Brand New one for $750, and another shop had one that was further away for $718.

So with all this being said... I am not in the market to buy a new Kimber. I also don't need another pistol, but would like one! I have always wanted a Kimber.

Ok Ok with that all said... I was thinking since it looks like it hasn't been taken care of, no original box or paperwork, I was thinking of offering something in the ball park of $400-$500 for it, but not a penny more than $500 out the door. What would be the lowest to go with out insulting him?[I][/I]

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I'd offer him $400, then MAYBE go up to $425-450, but not a penny more........ even if you buy it for $400, how much will it cost you to take it to your gunsmith and put on night sights (you know you will right??)? Have the gunsmith check it over, tune it up???? By the time you're done, it might have been wiser to just shop around and buy a one one with all the goodies already installed.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Question Used and abused...

Don't think I'd buy any used handgun that wasn't taken care of by the previous owner. Too many problem and safety concerns ......

I think I'd pass on it altogether. My reasons would be; i have a Kimber Ultra carry 2 and IMO it's a fine pistol, but why the shop owner didn't clean the pistol up is a concern. Normally that strikes me as someone who is trying to obviously hided some abuse cosmetically, or even possibly internal neglect as well. You said you spotted some rust, for me that's a bust right there... I'm not really into any restoration projects with regards to firearms, I'd rather buy good quality used, or go new altogether. For the guy to drop the price so drastically is another concern. Kimbers aren't the top of the line in the 1911, but they are pretty darn good and under normal conditions and regarding a fully functioning Ultra, I doubt you'd find the Ultra carry for anywhere close to the deal he's trying to offer you if the kimber was a good running Kimber.

Obviously it's your choice, but a $400 lemon is just a bad as a $500 lemon in my book.

I got my New in the box Kimber Ulta carry 2 for a tad over $700, I'd suggest if you want one so badly just save up a couple hundred more and go get a new one, or at least look over some other shops before you make the questionable deal. Again, all I know is... If I was going to sell a firearm, or even a automobile for that matter, I'd clean it up and make it look as close to new as possible, it just make too much sense not to. Good luck.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I'd pass on it. As others have said, the original owner didn't take care of it, and evidently the LGS isn't taking care of it either. While a 1911 is a beautiful piece of equipment when working properly, you may very well be getting into a bucket of worms with one that has been neglected.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

well it is a pawn shop so they sure aren't going to clean it before they sell it. I was just trying to feel this out.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Let me relay my experience with used guns. I recently purchased a S&W 5906, used, via the internet, with a few extras. When I received it, it needed cleaning. I asked the previous owner why he hadn't cleaned it and believe it or not, he didn't know how to take it apart!!! I tore it down to the bare frame and checked every part. I doubt the gun had a full box through it. After a cleaning/lubing, it looked factory new. I put on some Hogue grips and nite sites and its now my carry piece. I shot it some and it eats anything I put in it and hits dead on. I couldn't be happier.
    I had a similar experience at a gun show where I found a used/dirty 1969 Browning Hi Power with original factory zippered case. Took it home and gave it a going over. I was so pleased with the results, I made it a safe queen.
    You can't judge a book by it's cover.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I know you can't judge a book by it's cover but would you pay more for a used car that is filthy, showing it wasn't cared for or would you opt for some thing different that is clean?
    I guess I'm just looking for grounds to offer him less! I'm being cheap! I may buy it still but offer less. He did ask for an offer.

why would you care if you insult the pawnshop guy???? $350
    jem102 likes this.

I guess I really don't!!! Thanks for pointing that out Paullie!!!

I just did the same thing for another plinker, ISSC M22, it was used and had 3 mag's with it he was asking $229. I know in my area new they sell for 249-269 so I offered him $150. He laughed and I started walking for the door. I didn't make it he called me back and now I have a decent ( for a 22lr) plinker for the visiting kids and I to shoot when they visit. Lowball the guy as a start but stick to your limit. Then go back in a week later and start over if the gun is still there.

I hate to low ball people too much but Im taking a chance here. I need to ask him his return policy and so forth. I really want a Kimber and have wanted one for some time. I just can't seem to pony up for a new one yet. I may shoot this one and feel more comfortable with buying another! I love 1911's, and for some reason I have been intrigued with Kimber.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    If it were me, I would pass on this deal.

By the way, from Berea.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Why would you pass? I'm thinking of a walther p22 now.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Can you test fire it without purchasing? That would make or break the deal for me and $400 sounds good sounds like it just needs a good cleaning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links