Thompson Center Arms

This is a discussion on Thompson Center Arms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm thinking of picking up a TCA Encore rifle in .308 or .45/70 for a deer hunting rifle. However, as much as I seem to ...

Thread: Thompson Center Arms

Thompson Center Arms

I'm thinking of picking up a TCA Encore rifle in .308 or .45/70 for a deer hunting rifle. However, as much as I seem to surf the Internet looking for reviews, I can't find any on TCA rifles.

So, do any of you own or have shot a TCA rifle? Are they good rifles? I like the idea of a very accurate single shot rifle and don't really want to get a bolt action since you pay quite a bit more for left handed.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Another choice would be the family of Rugers(#1or#3) or NEF. I have NEVER found the NEF's to be as accurate as THEY think they are. The Rugers are.

I do not own a Encore but I do own several Contenders. I owned 6 at one time in the early 90's. The T/C's will not take the pressures that the Encore line will take. The T/C frame is essentially a .30-30 pressure frame where the Encore will take the 50-60K PSI cartridges(anything). The .45-70 is a low pressure cartridge so there is a Contender bbl for it. Also .444 Marlin.

I have friends that have the Encore setup and they all love it. The action is simple,yet very strong. The lockup is very tight. With the Encore frame you can get a .50Cal. muzzle loader bbl also. There are several bbl makers that offer bbls for the Encore system. This along with the bbls offered from T/C, gives you anything that you could want,including some very high power loadings.

Let me add that the Encore triggers are great. There are also several stocks that you can get with different LOP's.

Take a close look at the T/C products. I reccommend them. ----------

I do not have an Encore rifle(I do have several Contender pistols)but they are very popular around here in georgia for hunting. Many people think the single shot challenge adds back some excitement that might be lacking in their normal rifle hunting.

Here is a link to a place with a lot of Encore information. I hope it is not in violation of this forums rules to send you there.
    http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf...oard,33.0.html

Thanks to both of you for the information. That's why this site rocks. :)

Assistant Administrator
    I also enjoy Contender shooting but for rifle have a Ruger #1 for 45-70 - love the rifle and it eats hot loads!.

That is not however saying anything against T/C - their stuff is excellent.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I do have a Encore in 45/70 and its a blast to shoot especially with 500 grain loads..

1 Word of advice see if you can get synthetic stocks .. they be a little gentler on recoil and you can fit the awesome sims recoil pad to them not the wood :( I have wood set of stocks for mine and have shot one with the synthetic side by side with my hand loads and the synthetic recoiled less .. plus wood isn't very withstanding of the elements

As said above check out graybeards outdoors for encore section .. course you will run into some know it alls like everywhere

Yeah, browsing it now. I had planned on synthetic stock from the getgo. I like the idea of it being cheap to replace and you don't care as much if it gets a dent/nick like wood.

I'm starting to lean the .45-70 round over the .308 because it sounds more fun to play around with. Not as good of a trajectory, but maybe a lot of fun "finding" that perfect load. Sounds like a good excuse to get into reloading. Any thoughts on that?

Go for it I'm not fan of 308 anyways and let me tell ya if your shooting a steel gong the 500 grainer makes a sound you cant ignore when it hits.

If you are brave enough you can load up toward 458 win mag levels they say I've never tried as i wasn't sure how the encore would handle it ..

i like to reload some do i find it relaxing and rewarding when i can take out my smith vcomp and put 8 rounds touching each other at 20 yards .. and some times hard to tell if there are 8 .. cant do it at 25 for some reason must be me

Also if your a hunter it is a big thrill when the bullet performs just like you wanted and thought it would when you worked up that load..

Course there is always the frustration when it goes Fizz when hunting also

Assistant Administrator
    Sammy - the 45-70 is one of the ideal rounds to reload. Most factory stuff is whimpy, only made for trap door. To fully exploit the round reloading is way to go.

Even ''top loads'' in that case are only 35,000 pressure.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    As stated above,if .47-70 is decided upon,you almost gotta reload. The plus for that is your +P+++ loads. This especially in the Ruger #1 and #3.But the Encore will take almost as much.

Don't worry about trajectory if you hand load. At the normal deer,bear,ranges,hold hair and he's toast. Had a sport in Maine take a black bear in a clearcut at a measured(Laser)272yds with a .45-70 and handloaded Barnes 400grainers. Passed clean thru 3 1/2 feet of bear.

I own and reload for a .45-70 and they are all you'd want for a deer type weapon except for the extremely long shots.--------

One other nice feature of the Encore is it allows one rifle to be used for big game hunting. A barrel swap and you have a complete muzzleloader and once more and you have a turkey hunting shotgun.

I liked the barrel interchangability part. I think I'm going to go with one in .45/70 and then eventually pick up a .308 barrel if I ever see myself hunting where Im going to be taking longer shots.

Something about a single shot rifle seems pretty cool for hunting for me. The ruger #1's also look nice, so if I can find a deal on one of those, I might have to go for it. Although from what I've seen so far, the TCA's are quite a bit cheaper for not much quality loss. At least, that's the impression that I'm getting.

I have a G2 pistol, then I bought a T/C rifle stock and forgrip. I just dont put the stock on w/h a barrel under 16". IMHO these things are great! If I get sick of one caliber, I just look for someone who wants to trade barrels.

Links