Light primer strike?

This is a discussion on Light primer strike? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey fella's, So I might have a potential problem with my Ruger LCP, and wanted to hear your thoughts. So long story short I've now ...

Thread: Light primer strike?

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar

Light primer strike?

Hey fella's,
    So I might have a potential problem with my Ruger LCP, and wanted to hear your thoughts. So long story short I've now put about 300 rounds through the gun (most of them today) and came across what may or may not be a primer strike issue.

So once my local store finally got a bunch of ammo in I grabbed some PMC, Federal, Tulammo, S&B, and Remington HP's to see how they all worked. A week or so ago I shot 50 rounds of PMC, and 50 of Tula, and had one tula FTF. Today I shot 100 rounds of Tula, 50 of Federal, 25 Rem HP's, and 25 S&B. Out of that group today I had 8 Tula FTF, 10 Tula jams, and then 2 jams for the other three manufacturers.

The Tula duds looked to have a much lighter primer strike than the fired rounds, and when I cycled the duds back through they all fired but one. This is what seemed odd to me, the fact that they fired the second time through. Any thoughts on this? I assume some of the jams can be attributed to the "break in" period, but the FTF's bother me, and I am not sure I can simply blame it on Tulammo as much as I want too because in both my other firearms tula works great and fires every time.

Of note: Some of the tulammo looked slightly "warped", as in if you were to roll it across a table it would roll funny. Could that effect round seating and thus primer strike?
    Thanks
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

2. Remove Ads

I would disassemble and thoroughly clean the pistol and relube. You should be beyond any break in problems. Try again with multiple types of ammo and your performance should be much better. Be sure to firmly grip the pistol, limp wristing can cause extraction or jamming on some pistols due to the slide not retracting fully. I has a similar problem with the Tula ammo and my Browning HiPower. Pistol would give light strikes and had many jams, it functioned perfectly with anything else I ran through it. I don't care how cheap the Russian ammo is, I won't purchase it again.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Take a moment and sign up at the Elsie Pea forum. This issue has been discussed several times. And you will find a lot of good LCP info there.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Sounds like the Tulammo is just pure junk. Also, if the round is slightly warped after FTF, it's becaue of the jamming of it at high speed of the spring/slide movement. One thing to do is using a dremmel and some rouge, polish the feed ramp and the INSIDE of the barrel since bullet touches top of it first when entering (the Crown) and as enters to bounce off the bottom before seating against the rifling grooves. Polish these areas good and look for any burrs, but DO NOT polish those rifling lands/grooves. Sometimes a really stiff new magazine makes it little harder to feed...leave them loaded up a few days and try the range shoot again...this may solve some of the problems.
    Most Rugers do not like Remington cartridges either-bullets/brass is soft! It may be that they didn't taper-crimp the bullet in and there is a slight bulge of the bullet causing FTF due to enlarged size. PMC is also an ammo that leaves too much powder debri in guns...a few mags of it and your gun probably looks like it needs cleaned really bad. Stick with the Federal, Sellier & Bellot, Winchester for cheap stuff and probably Hornady Critical Defense Ammo for defense. Happy Shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by chjtoken View Post
    I would disassemble and thoroughly clean the pistol and relube. You should be beyond any break in problems. Try again with multiple types of ammo and your performance should be much better. Be sure to firmly grip the pistol, limp wristing can cause extraction or jamming on some pistols due to the slide not retracting fully. I has a similar problem with the Tula ammo and my Browning HiPower. Pistol would give light strikes and had many jams, it functioned perfectly with anything else I ran through it. I don't care how cheap the Russian ammo is, I won't purchase it again.
    I have to agree. I had a issue with my beretta doing the same thing awhile back after shooting it all day. A good cleaning and lube returned it to normal.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Links