Colts - Page 3

Colts

This is a discussion on Colts within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I love the idea of posting up all the old colts!!! bmcgilvray & OD* lets see them colts....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Colts

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I love the idea of posting up all the old colts!!! bmcgilvray & OD* lets see them colts.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Ok guys, lets compliment the fine thread Dragman started and put up Colts, and nothing but Colts. Old ones. New ones. All the Colts we can cram on here! Revolvers, automatics, rifles, machine guns, percussion, whatever. Over time it can be the official Colt photo reference thread and a good place to get a fix for viewing all things Colt.

I'm going to post some old, ugly Colts first (well, most of mine are old and ugly anyhow).

This Official Police .38 Special was manufactured in 1953 and was a NYPD issue revolver. The Official Police was a mainstay of the Colt revolver line for many years beginning when it replaced the Army Special in the 1927 Colt catalog. It lasted until 1969. Could be had chambered in .22 Long Rifle. .32-20, .38/200, .38 Special, and .41 Long Colt. Shame it's gone too as it is a great revolver.

Here's a 1925 vintage Army Special in .41 Long Colt. The Army Special was the earlier incarnation of the Official Police shown above. Except for minor sight differences and roll markings they are really the same exact revolver; same size, same function and they share the same internal parts. These came in .32-20, .38 Special, and .41 Long Colt.

The immediate double action, swing-out cylinder predecessor of the two above revolvers is the Colt New Army/ New Navy. About the same size as the two above, it's a much more primitive design than the exercise in perfection that the later revolvers represent. This old wheezer was introduced in 1889 and soldiered on until 1907 when the much improved Army Special was introduced. The only difference in the Colt New Army and Colt New Navy is the style of hard rubber stocks found on the revolvers along with the fact that the New Navy will have an "N" stamped under the crane on the frame beneath the serial number. Why they bothered with two different names is beyond me. Might have something to do with obtaining government contracts to supply both the Army and the Navy. The Navy bought first but the Army bought large numbers of these. These came in .32-20, .38 Long Colt, and .41 Long Colt.

Here's a doggy commercial 1906 vintage New Navy in .32 WCF (.32-20), a really scarce chambering for these revolvers.

I need to make a better, updated photo but here's a New Army Model 1901 .38 Long Colt that was standard military issue.

Here's a commercial New Navy chambered for .41 Long Colt. This one dates to 1901.
    Dragman, OD* and BigJon10125 like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    OK, I've changed my mind, I hate you Bryan, I really, really do!

bmcgilvray likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Heh...heh!

Oh, come on! Stick some Colts up here and you'll feel better.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Python: $499 - 3 1/2 yrs ago

Detective: $273 - 3 yrs ago

Colt Cobra .38 (no photo)
    $400 - 2 yrs ago

M1911 WWI Reproduction (Black)
    $900 - 7 mos ago

Silver Star 45 - $850 - 1 yr ago - gun has chamfered slide (worn edge of one cut in inner slide area where barrel lugs fit.) Unfixable. Total Loss. Have to sell for parts.
    Dragman likes this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Heh...heh!

Oh, come on! Stick some Colts up here and you'll feel better.
    Think that will help? I'll have to try it. wink:

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Well, look at hamlet! Several tasty and still useful Colts. I have a 6-inch blue Python but think the 4-inch Python looks best. I'm warming up to nickel too in my old age.

Hard to tell but that appears to be a pre-1966 Detective Special with the full grip frame.

The WWI repro is nice. Glad Colt turned those out.

Bad news on the slide on the last one. Could a new slide be fitted to gain an operational pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Well, look at hamlet! Several tasty and still useful Colts. I have a 6-inch blue Python but think the 4-inch Python looks best. I'm warming up to nickel too in my old age.

Hard to tell but that appears to be a pre-1966 Detective Special with the full grip frame.

The WWI repro is nice. Glad Colt turned those out.

Bad news on the slide on the last one. Could a new slide be fitted to gain an operational pistol?

I could , but after the $850 loss, spending more money on it............ besides, don't really need another 45 Colt 1911. Thought of 38 Super, expensive ammo. Well, right now it's $850 door-stop. Maybe will always be that or paper-weight.

Good eye on that Detective. Yes, think it's a 64. The Cobra 38 (not pictured) also is. Just a little after Jack Ruby's episode with one:

alg_jack_ruby_oswald_shooting.jpg

Far as nickel Pythons, yep, look beautiful, but they get fine scratches easily and since it's a finish, you really can't polish them out.

OD*
    A couple of Long Colt's.

Dragman and bmcgilvray like this.

Yep! Them be sho' 'nuff Colts.

That SP-1 sans forward bolt assist looks close kin to one kept around here. 28 thousand and something is the serial number which pegs it at 1974 however I bought it used in the late 1980s.

Y'all all keep this thread going . I'll be unable to play Colts for a few days but want to see some more when I can get back on.

OD*
    That's a sweet one too! I think the old SPs are still my favorite.

You be safe traveling, Brain, Vaya con Dios.

.41 Long Colt

This was my Grand father's working around the ranch pistol.
    I'm curious what views are preferred here?
    P1020371 sm.jpgP1020374 sm.jpgP1020366 sm.jpg

Would love any additional info on these. One place I looked seemed to show these having been made about 1900 or so....Don't see the "N" in there. A "W"......
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Love seeing GrimeyGoose's Colt New Army. His grandfather went about well armed since that's a .41 revolver. A good potent old cartridge.

I don't know when Grandpa walked around with this, or his other. He lived around Reagan, Tx. My Pop was born in the Brazos River bottom area around there. Grandpa was also a Deputy Sheriff for a time, not sure how long. Somewhere I have an old newspaper article that speaks of him finding a still and a black man there to tend it and all the hoopla that went into arresting him and the actual owner of the still... the language used at the time makes me laugh. They would lock ya up for describing folks that way now.

This is Grandpa Kirk's Sunday go to meeting Colt. :D

It's in better shape than the other.
    I've found some rounds from a fellow at a gun show here in San Antonio for these...pretty pricie . But I just wanted to be able to say I've shot them. Don't know what he puts in those shells tho... was heck cleaning 'em up after only 6 rounds run threw them.

I would like to get the letters of info through Colt for both of these....Looks like about 100 bucks a pop. Darn it.

Anyways, this one looks like it might have been made around 1921?
    P1020379 sm.jpgP1020389 sm.jpgP1020380 sm.jpgP1020383 sm.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links