Century Golani Galil

Century Golani Galil

This is a discussion on Century Golani Galil within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone own or have any experience with Century Golani Galil's. I am interested in one but want to get some feed back from forum members ...

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

Century Golani Galil

Anyone own or have any experience with Century Golani Galil's. I am interested in one but want to get some feed back from forum members before I buy.

Administrator
    I do have a lot of experience with the Galil rifle but, not specifically the later domestic Golani.

The Galil is my personal "Go To" rifle of choice but, I have had 2 Israeli Military Industries Magnum Research Galils since they were first imported way back when. AKA years ago.
    They are priced way out of reach for the average shooter these days though.

Go to Gunbroker.com & type "galil" into the search box & you'll see what I mean. The original MR & AA Galils are nicely up into the thousands.

You should be made aware of the fact that with its machined from solid bar-stock receiver it's comparatively heavy.
    That would be because it was originally designed to be a fully automatic squad weapon. One per squad.
    The original IMI steel magazines are also quite heavy.
    That problem has been pretty much solved though with the latest Tapco aftermarket mags which are lightweight and excellent. Also the Orlite mags are very good, lighter, but getting more expensive.

Original IMI accessories are very expensive.

It USED TO BE very difficult to add a good workable optics platform to the original imported Galil.
    High quality dovetail side optics mounts were prohibitively expensive. I paid (I Think) $140.00 for an original Action Express (see through) mount in order to get an AimPoint added to mine.

These days though there are reasonably priced various assorted high quality Picatinny rail systems available that make that task easier.

These days there are better and lighter weight battle rifle choices available.
    For me personally I'm sticking with Galil. It's the platform that I'm used to & I shoot it very well.
    I like the fact that is has the rugged reliability of an overbuilt "AK" combined with the accuracy of a high quality AR.
    The Galil just EATS UP dirt, grime and sand.
    Absolutely nothing (in the way of foreign material) stops it from going "BANG" but, I'm not really sure that is so important for a domestic U.S. civilian battle weapon.
    Most folks are not tossing their SHTF rifles into mud puddles and sandboxes and most shooters have a regular maintenance and cleaning regimen.

Also I'm not sure how the Golani rifles compare to the original Magnum Research & Action Arms Israeli built imports with regard to the quality of their build.

If you're still interested I would make certain that your purchase sports all new IMI internal parts - The U.S. made aftermarket barrels are quite good.
    Some of the initial/early O.R.F. (Ohio Rapid Fire) receivers were not so hot but, the later ORF milled are very good these days.

Damn, there is a totally affordable rifle that looks oustanding. I need to stop reading the posts on here, it always equals me wanting to spend money.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

I've read on another forum that the receivers for those were cast, which makes it something I would pass on. Casting makes the metal brittle & rigid, & the receiver needs to be able to flex somewhat.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Administrator
    I thought the latest ORFs were machined? I sure could be wrong though. I not really up of the U.S. made versions.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

This is a US version in 7.62x39. I remember reading about these a couple of years ago.

ELITE FIREARMS - Saiga 12, Galil, AK-47 and more..
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

The Galil is one of my favorite rifles to use when I play Call of Duty on Xbox. So it MUST be good in real life, right?

Links