thinking on getting this MP 15 SPORT - Page 2

thinking on getting this MP 15 SPORT

This is a discussion on thinking on getting this MP 15 SPORT within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Actually I called S&W Thursday and asked them about the AR 15 sport compared to the OR (optics ready ) model and he said the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Actually I called S&W Thursday and asked them about the AR 15 sport compared to the OR (optics ready ) model and he said the sport is the same gun without the forward assist(not needed) or the dust cover (not needed) so it's cheaper because of these options not on the sport. They also did mention that the sport has the 1/5 rifling which is more accurate and gets less dirty than the 1/8 1/9 rifling barrels and not to mention the sport has the melonite coating. In otherwords they are actually thinking on switching all their future models to 1/5 rifling innthe future because of more accuracy and better dependability. The sport is the same as the 1000$ models just without the unneeded forward assist and lousy dust cover. Think I will be getting my Sport after renting one this morning and putting 175 rounds through it, I absolutely loved it. The range attendant said that gun only been cleaned 1 time and has over 3000 rounds put through it not 1 person has complained about it.

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    Check this review out.

Gun Review: Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport | The Truth About Guns

It talks about how the gun operated during instructor training in the Arizona Desert. It also explains some of the features of the gun.
    Nice review. I think my found my next rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    They also did mention that the sport has the 1/5 rifling which is more accurate and gets less dirty than the 1/8 1/9 rifling barrels and not to mention the sport has the melonite coating. In otherwords they are actually thinking on switching all their future models to 1/5 rifling innthe future because of more accuracy and better dependability. The sport is the same as the 1000$ models just without the unneeded forward assist and lousy dust cover.
    The sport has a 1/8 twist per S&W website. I have never heard of a 1/5 twist not to say they don't exist but that seems awfully fast to me. I know that they do not have a chrome lined barrel as well. That's just the differences that I know of. I'm sure there are others. I'm not saying its a bad rifle and it's sounds like it will fit your intended purpose, just want to make you aware there are some differences it doesn't sound like you know of. No forward assist or dust cover does not a 250-300 difference make.

it has a 1,8 twist yes but i meant the 5R RIFLING that it has is suppose to be more accurate then their more expensive barrels/models

5R Rifling

Thompson/Center constantly strives to improve the performance and accuracy of our firearms. One major factor that we studied is the different rifling options developed in the past and how they perform with our rifles. In this study, we found that 5R rifling had the characteristics, consistency and improved accuracy that we were searching for.

5R rifling is a rifling developed in Russia which uses 5 lands and 5 grooves instead of the traditional 6 lands and grooves. In addition, the sides of each land are cut at a 65 degree angle versus a harsh 90 degree angle on standard rifling (see graphic below).

Benefits of 5R: 5R rifling’s unique design provides benefits to the shooter by causing less bullet deformation. How? Because the edges of each land do not cut into and deform the bullet jacket. When the bullet jacket is less deformed, there will be less jacket fouling in the grooves. The results are better consistency of accuracy from shot to shot, greater bullet stability over multiple shots, and ultimately a rifle that’s easier to clean thoroughly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links