thinking on getting this MP 15 SPORT

This is a discussion on thinking on getting this MP 15 SPORT within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; if anyone has this model can you please give feedback on how it is overall?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thinking on getting this MP 15 SPORT

if anyone has this model can you please give feedback on how it is overall?
    Attached Images

What's there to think about? It's got a good rep. I've seen them new flattop receiver as low as $600. Grown men's erector set. Everyone needs an AR, and 2 or 3 thousand rounds stashed away for a rainy day. Once it's dialed in, you're pegging apples at 200 yards, Newton, even if you're a terrible shot.

the receiver that comes with it does it allow to put a carry handle on it? also if there is a carry handle installed could the rear sight still be used?

Yes you can mount a carry handle. You wont need the rear sight if you do mount one as the sight is part of the handle. It isnt what I would buy with my money. For another 200-300 dollars you could have a top of the line gun. Personally I would continue to save and buy a Colt, BCM or other top manufacturer, but if you must buy now you could do worse.

My wife and I are going to be buying 5 or 6 of these over the next year. This is the new S&W that I have actually seen as low as $475 in a shop an hour or so South of our town. With that price, I want to stock up enough so my kids can have one even if the libs get another AWB through.

This is a basic rifle by the way. No forward assist, no dust cover. Just a good basic HD rifle.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

All I need is a basic range rifle, that's why I don't want to spend $300+ on the same rifle but with extras already.

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    All I need is a basic range rifle, that's why I don't want to spend $300+ on the same rifle but with extras already.
    When I go the the rifle range, I shoot mostly .22 out of the Ruger 10/22. I can toast 500 rounds for under $30 shooting at 25-150 yds. Then I bring out the AR, shoot another 50 or so. My point: your first rifle should be something you can shoot a lot for not much money. Get good with that before you dive in the deep end. I've got maybe $250 tied up in the Ruger with all the goodies, $1K in the Colt AR + $.50 a pop. JMO.

Lightbulb .

i have owned a marlin model 60 semi auto .22 and a marlin 917v 17 hmr and loved them, sold them and now want a more powerful rifle that isnt too expensive to shoot. Im ok with .40-.50 a pop because i go to the range about once every 2 months but i spend a while there when i do go, i have always wanted an AR15 so why not get one......LIFE IS TOO SHORT to worry about money IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    i have owned a marlin model 60 semi auto .22 and a marlin 917v 17 hmr and loved them, sold them and now want a more powerful rifle that isnt too expensive to shoot. Im ok with .40-.50 a pop because i go to the range about once every 2 months but i spend a while there when i do go, i have always wanted an AR15 so why not get one......LIFE IS TOO SHORT to worry about money IMO.
    I couldn't agree more. Looking at AK's on Funbroker right now. That's another option for you too. I also want a .357 lever action. Can I borrow a few dollars? I have Paypal :)

LOl.....i was holding an AK today but the cheap wood looking stock looked home made and after holding the mp15 i didnt care to even hold the AK anymore....i am sold to the MP SPORT AND waiting until i sell a few of my planes to buy it SOON hopefully, picked up a beretta PX4 2 weeks ago for personal carry and absolutely love it....HIGHLY RECOMMENT BERETTA PISTOLS.....

Check this review out.

Gun Review: Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport | The Truth About Guns

It talks about how the gun operated during instructor training in the Arizona Desert. It also explains some of the features of the gun.

At CDNN Investments,you can get a Target Sports A2 carry handle for 39.99 + 9.99 shipping,I've used these on my AR's and they are pretty decent for what most people use an AR15 for,they have elevation and windage
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

how is the heat guard removed from an AR/15? Also how is the front sight adjusted.?

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
    Yes you can mount a carry handle. You wont need the rear sight if you do mount one as the sight is part of the handle. It isnt what I would buy with my money. For another 200-300 dollars you could have a top of the line gun. Personally I would continue to save and buy a Colt, BCM or other top manufacturer, but if you must buy now you could do worse.
    Smith&Wesson is top tier now.

Quote Originally Posted by justim View Post
    Smith&Wesson is top tier now.
    I guess it comes down to a matter of opinion. The Smith&Wesson that he is considering is definitely an entry level gun, that is fine if you don't think you will be running it hard. To buy what would be considered a "top tier Smith&Wesson" is going to be considerably more money. I don't know if things have changed but even then they haven't been at the top of the list with some materials used (i.e barrel steel). At that point I would feel like I was better off buying from one of the professional grade manufacturers for the same money but to each his own. I don't think its a bad gun especially it will basically be a paper puncher just not what I would buy with the other options available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links