Ruger MKII - Review and Impressions

This is a discussion on Ruger MKII - Review and Impressions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While shopping at a gun store where I usually get targets and ammo, I spotted a Ruger MKII, which is considered the best of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ruger MKII - Review and Impressions

While shopping at a gun store where I usually get targets and ammo, I spotted a Ruger MKII, which is considered the best of the line - kind of like how the Glock IIIs have a better rep than the IVs.

I don't need a .22, but the "400 rounds for $20" thing had me wanting a plinker for training purposes, and I'm turning into a Ruger kinda guy, and I checked it out. Today I went back and if it was there, I was going to haggle with cash. Got 'em down to $210, which is a good price for this gun (my first used firearm, btw):

Wanted to put the LC9 through another 100 rounds now that the mag disconnect is off, so I hit the range and did that and then played with this gun. Wow. Talk about accurate. Recoil is almost nonexistent, and it ran through a few hundred rounds of Federal .22 LR no problem. Just had a few quirks I needed to learn.

Got it home and did a detailed takedown and cleaning. The reassembly was difficult. On a scale of 1-10, this is an 8. Took me 2 hours to get the main locking pin back in. That's with watching YouTube demonstrations. The sucker just didn't want to seat properly. Finally, everything lined up, snick-snick and the function check is perfect.

Next time it will be a lot easier - if you want one of these, go for it. Like all Rugers, it's a tank.
    HotGuns likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Yeah...the Mark II is well-known for it's unconventional and difficult re-assembly...but it shoots like a dream.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

That's why I sold mine. IMHO, .22 handgun = revolver. I got an old Iver Johnson Sealed Target 8 for $150. Fun plinker.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have a 5 inch bull barrel MKII...my second MKII. Sold my first one a couple of years after getting it due to the heartburn inducing reassembly. I then bought another one in the the early 80s. I bought this one shortly after-maybe 1983-to teach my then-girlfriend to shoot. She shot well enough to convince me that she was marriage material. I taught our son to shoot with the same gun many years later. Someday, I hope he teaches his son or daughter to shoot with it. Still shoot it every once in a while, and it is a pleasure.
    Shooting a .22 like this reminds me why I got into shooting, it is FUN. No recoil, reloading, brass gathering, and sometimes I can make all these little, tiny holes close enough together to convince myself I'm a good shot. If you are going to shoot handguns, you really need a good .22 to learn and have fun, and the Ruger MKII is great.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I love my Mk II!! It eats copper plated like nobodies business. But I can't feed it lead nose without issues. No biggie though. I did manage to damage mine trying to get the blasted thing back together. Basically, the trigger pull would go from not budging to hair trigger. Sent it back, got it fixed, and never had that issue again. IIRC I think they said there were some issues like I had with a few of them.

If you do it by the book and take your time you will start to get the hang of it. Just don't get impatient and start trying to force things.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Congratulations on your new addition. I've been thinking about getting a Rugar .22 pistol lately. Years and years ago when I was in my early 20s I really wanted a stainless bull barrel (I think it was a MK IV) but even back then I'm thinking the thing was around $450? It sounded like a lot of money to me for a .22 pistol so I never got one.

With the price of ammo, the thought of a nice lil Ruger for practice is starting to sound good to me. I'm thinking its time to shop around and see what options are available today.

Very nice gun BTW.

Thanks for sharing & enjoy your Ruger!

Great gun - I've got two of 'em. One's a basic Mk II, the other a 22/45 Mk II, both with the 5-1/2" bull barrel. Yes, reassembly is tricky, but it's a .22... you don't need to break it down and clean it after every shooting session.

I put a Volquartsen trigger kit into the 22/45, which has added immensely to my enjoyment of an already enjoyable gun. I hope to trip over a fixed-sight MkII to add to the collection as well.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    AMEN! Great guns. I have two, I have one with a six inch barrel that I've had over thirty years (so accurate I used to hunt squirrels with it) and just picked up a four inch barrel model a couple of months ago at a gun show, ordered a set of "stag" grips for it. You can't beat a Ruger MK for the money.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My father had one of the original Mk I's about 30 years ago. I bought a Mk II about 2 years ago. BOTH guns are real tricky to get back together. I'm kinda surprised Ruger didn't simplify this in the Mk II version.

My new Mk II had a lot of FTE, until I installed a new Volquartsen extractor. Now it works perfectly.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I've had mine for years. I don't shoot it often and when I do I have to learn to reassemble it all over again after cleaning. In spite of that it's a decent 22 pistol.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    My dad bought me a MK II back in the early 90's when I was going in for heart surgery. It was incentive to come out alive. We always called it the "luger ruger." Still have it, and it shoots wonderfully.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Hmm, are they easier to take apart and re-assemble than the MK IIIs?

I have a 5" bull barrel MK III that I love to shoot, but hate to breakdown and re-assemble when I do a full cleaning on it.

I'll have to search youtube for a video on the MK II tonight.

I think I got the trick - you have the pistol ready to insert the locking pin. Point it down at the ground and pull the trigger. Point it up at the ceiling and pull the trigger. The locking pin slips right in. Done.

Also: My neighbor offered me a Mk III upper slab-sided barrel. Doesn't fit. Mk I and II barrels are interchangable, but the MK IIIs are not plug and play.

OK - now that I've got the takedown and reassembly mastered, I'm curious about ammo.

For target plinking, it seems to eat everything happily. But while stored in the home, I want it to be loaded with the maximum damage round it will fire - just in case.

Got a box of Winchester Super X 22LR HP (37gr 1330 FPS). Is there anything substantially better?

(The scenario here is that for whatever reason I can't get to the heavy artillery and have to bring this one into play.)

I would use whatever is 100% reliable and then get the most accurate of those. Of course, I recommend that for everything. If I let my MK II get dirty, it doesn't like lead rounds, thus the reliability requirement. .22 is cheap enough you can give any round you choose a thorough accuracy / reliability test. A couple hundred premium centerfire JHPs can be expensive, but what is your, and yours, lives worth?

IMO the HP for a .22lr isn't going to improve your downrange performance and if it does expand, it might not penetrate deeply enough to do the most damage.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links