PT 24/7 and the XD

This is a discussion on PT 24/7 and the XD within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been looking into buying another firearm: I am thinking either the PT 24/7 or the XD. I am thinking either a 9mm or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PT 24/7 and the XD

PT 24/7 and the XD

I have been looking into buying another firearm: I am thinking either the PT 24/7 or the XD. I am thinking either a 9mm or 45 ACP. I am trying to find the time and the range that has these firearms to rent so I can try them out.

For those of you that own either guns what do you like and dislike about them? What is your overall opinion on these firearms?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I own neither, but...

1. Manual safety. Taurus yes, XD no.
    2. I really like Taurus, but I have heard complaints of serious jamming issues after about 400 rounds on the 24/7. Some have been cured after 1 or 2 trips back to the factory, others have not. Suspicion seems to center on badly manufactured magazines. There has been considerable discussion on this matter in other forums. Several people have gotten rid of their 24/7s in favor of the XD, and seem to be happy about their new weapon.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I've got an XD 40 service model and love it. Some will argue that it has no manual safety, but it does have a trigger safety and grip safety, which, IMO, makes up for it. I also like the fact that if my wife has to shoot the gun, there is one less thing for her to worry about. I find the grips are very comfortable which is rare for me because I have small hands. I used to have a Taurus PT 92 way back, and the trigger reset is definitly longer on the XD, but I was able to quickly get used to it. I have put over 1000 rounds through my XD, mostly WWB, and it has performed flawlessly. Not one FTF or FTE. Tight groups (could be tighter if I was better). Take down is a snap. Only drawback to that is you have to fire the gun during the process. Some owners have had NDs because they are a bit "carless" in their method of clearing the gun. There have been some problems with the guide rod. It's a two-piece that has broken on some people. A one-piece is standard on the 45 so that won't be an issue to you if you go that route. A lot of people that I know that have the XD, including myself, have replaced the ractory rod with a Don Guide Rod. It's a one-piece rod that is very well made and rather inexpensive. I would not hesitate to get another XD. If fact, my next purchase will probably be the XD40SC so I have a little smaller CCW gun.

You can also check out www.xdtalk.com. It's an XD forum and you can pick up a lot of info on the XD there as well.

Hope this helps.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I vote for the XD. Avoid the PT 24/7. Mine's due for a trip to the repair shop. I've had it way less than a year.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Hey Go Glock,

I can't really discuss the 24/7 for I don't own one, but I have a Taurus PT145 and so far am very pleased. The 2-dot Heinne sights take a while to get used to (I'm not sure if they come in the 24/7), aside for that the gun is just what I wanted for CCW.

I also have a XD45 tactical and WOW, what a great pistol! I don't think you could go wrong with either, but if you could find a gun shop or friend with either or both to try out.

If you have any reservations about recoil in the 45ACP, both guns have enough weight and a good grip angle for that not to be a problem.

Naturally, the ammo cost will be more for the .45 than 9mm.

Good luck in your search, that's part of the fun of gun ownership!

Thanks everyone that replied... your opinions did help me... a lot! I am comfortable carrying a Glock (no manual safety of course) and not worried about a ND. I think it should be called Negligent *******...because that what it is; a moment where someone is not paying attention/ a fault in their technic at the given time (for whatever action they are doing). I hope I never have one but if I do I will be the first to call myself a *******.

Back on track... the grip safety on the XD does seem appealing and I don't think I would like a manual safety on a carry weapon. Situations happen in a matter of seconds and it is just one more thing to do when the sh## hits the fan and my mind is in chaos.

I am pleased that the owners were honest about the reliability issues of the 24/7; which have me a little worried. I don't know if I would carry my new firearm for ccw, but I still may want the option, along with a good solid pistol...so I think I am swaying toward the XD.

Thanks all

Lead Moderator
    While taurus may make some good guns I will never buy another new model from them, maybe only field tested models.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Well seems that no one (if I read right) has talked about a PT 24/7 in .45, I will. It is my primary weapon. I have put 3 cases of WWB through it, about 4 boxes of Hornady TAP +P (didn't like it) and so far about 2 boxes of Winchester Ranger T series. It feeds without a problem, shoots pretty accurate and I am glad to have it as my primary weapon.

I should also note that the .45 version of the 24/7 seems to be totally different than the others. In fact, it's even hard to find a holster for them because only the 9mm and .40 seem to share the same kind of dimensions. Also, the 9mm/.40 has a "ribber" rubber grip, the .45 does not have rubber but is the same design. In fact, I believe that it gives you a more-positive grip on it than the rubber (I've tried only the .40, though).

From what it sounds like, the PT 24/7 is the same as the XD when field stripping it. Initially the take-down pin would come right out. After about 300 rounds you have to pull the pin out with something (I use a metal-clip pen, or a keys) and it comes right out. Same on the XD with having to pull the trigger, then it slides out forward and right off. It's actually really easy.

In my opinion it's a lot better and seems to have a lot less problems than the other calibers have even for the same model. As for the manual safety, you can leave it off if you're not trained with leaving it on. Just a personal thing for each person.

Hope that helps!

Cheers.

Edit!
    I forgot to mention the "Taurus safety system". The Tauruses have a key that basically totally disables the gun. While I can't bring myself to use it because I'd rather not have to fumble for a key to use my gun when I need it, I think it could have some good when you actually have to disable the gun somehow. I'm not sure of the legal benefits of it, but it might be something worth looking into if you go to Kalifornia or something.
    Last edited by soundwave; August 2nd, 2006 at 08:27 PM.

My carry gun is a 24/7 .40sw. has about 800 or so rounds through it, I have never had a problem with it.

RH

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    24/7 discussion, focuses mainly on .45 caliber.

http://www.tacapp.com/?p=53
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

My reply for that ^ ^ ^ post is that I've never had a problem with the rounds nose diving. Maybe it's because I don't have the pro version, who knows? (As a sidenote: The supposed difference between pro and the original is that the pro has "seconds strike capability". Well, mine does, too. Don't know why. Also the infamous NRA trophy that they won was with a regular PT 24/7, not the pro version.)

Cheers.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I own 2 XD's, a 40 bit-tone, and .45 service. I love them both, both are flawless, and I would not trade them for anything at the moment. Outstanding shooters.
    Fear No Evil.

I like my xd sub compact. My votes for the XD

FWIW, I love my XD-9 Service, and am saving my shekels for the .45ACP Tactical. Have not (yet) fired a Taurus.

I have an XD-9 and an XD-45 ACP. I love them both, but it is personal preference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links