A Choice Of Calibers - Limited to Four

This is a discussion on A Choice Of Calibers - Limited to Four within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was sitting around thinking the other day about the firearms I own. Perhaps more specifically, what calibers would serve me the best if things ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: A Choice Of Calibers - Limited to Four

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

I was sitting around thinking the other day about the firearms I own. Perhaps more specifically, what calibers would serve me the best if things ran amuck, and I only had four calibers to choose from. After thinking I came up with this:

.22 for plinking or hunting small game.
    .38 self defence or medium size game.
    .45 for self defence
    12ga for self defence and large animals. (knock down a cow for food or personal pretection).

I live within 10 miles of 500+ tons of nerve gas; VX and GB. It is a known fact that should a leak occure that warrented evacuation, it would be every family for them selves. The chance of this happening is really pretty remote but the possibility does exist nonetheless which would bring a host of problems and issues. Primarly survival.

If you consider the current financial climate - anything could happen. With that being said, I wonder if anyone has considered what is caliber of firearms and quantity they would consider indispensable when the crap really hits the fan.

I am sure there are hundreds of verations on this but this is my choice based on where I live, what could possibly happen and a method to survive.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

.00 Buckshot

double ott
    9mm (for popular acquisition)
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

12ga
    If I had to narrow it to 4
    Diddle and LeftofMars like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    I was sitting around thinking the other day about the firearms I own. Perhaps more specifically, what calibers would serve me the best if things ran amuck, and I only had four calibers to choose from. After thinking I came up with this:

.22 for plinking or hunting small game.
    .38 self defence or medium size game.
    .45 for self defence
    12ga for self defence and large animals. (knock down a cow for food or personal pretection).

I live within 10 miles of 500+ tons of nerve gas; VX and GB. It is a known fact that should a leak occure that warrented evacuation, it would be every family for them selves. The chance of this happening is really pretty remote but the possibility does exist nonetheless which would bring a host of problems and issues. Primarly survival.

If you consider the current financial climate - anything could happen. With that being said, I wonder if anyone has considered what is caliber of firearms and quantity they would consider indispensable when the crap really hits the fan.

I am sure there are hundreds of verations on this but this is my choice based on where I live, what could possibly happen and a method to survive.
    Anything won't happen. relax.

9mm
    12 Gauge
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    22 which is also 223, 5'56 nato or 222 Remington

308 which is also 30-30 and 7.62 x 54r and 7.5 x 55
    ...and will chamber many designated as 32's

38 which is .357 and .356 (9mm) and .355 (380) and 9 x 18, 9x21, 9x23 9 Dillon
    i have often missed my Medusa. it chambered all this and more.....and more was what the offer kept being till i said 'sold'. sad fact if not than, it would been gone 3 times by now anyways. if you ever cross one thats 4" and can afford to sell one of the kids......consider carefully...you may be able to get more kids easier that another Medusa.

and a 45 colt gets me also a 454 casuall and a 410 and the 45acp

i can either miss 3 or 4 or my nap....
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Personally, I'd drop one of the two pistol rounds, and add a rifle round to add some range to that list.

My preferred choices would be:

.45 ACP
    12 Gauge
    and 5.56, with .308 in a close second.
    Diddle likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

all are good rounds, but I wouldn't put too much value in .38, get a .357 and you have a better round with the option of running .38 through it

.357/.38
    9mm
    7.62X39
    5.56/.223
    Last edited by azchevy; July 18th, 2011 at 08:18 PM.

00 in 12 ga, .223, and .45 covers close & distance for self defense and/or game while simplifying inventory/backpacking.

If SHTF you are going to have little or no game. Imagine if just 20% of the population took to the backcountry to get "game". That is approximately 62 million armed Americans in the back country trying to shoot food...... it makes me giggle just to thing about it. Especially when you figure the amount of US hunters is 12-14 million according to license sales. That is 4-5X the amount of hunters out there scrounging for the same game. Imagine 4-5X the amount of hunters out there when you folks who hunt are doing your thing. It would be like grand central station coupled with a bunch of OK corral shootouts. That whole, I am going to backpack and kill my own food in the mountains SHTF fantasy thing makes me laugh whenever I hear it. Mad max anyone? 310mil + in the us, estimated 40% have weapons in their homes ( not including criminals and gangs) = 124+ million armed angry/desperate people in the full blown SHTF fantasy scenario. Eating will be the least of your worries.

Go for a M-4 platform n .223 aka 5.56 you can throw in a 22 lr conversion kit real quick (takes about 10 seconds) and easy so you have the best of both worlds and you can always buy an .308 upper if you want one...
    .45 ACP lots of ammo about
    12 ga with extended tube (mine is a Mossberg)
    and Vera my .50 BMG
    Diddle likes this.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Actually, eating would be the first thing everyone would have to worry about. There would be more battles fought over food than anything else. Food resources would dwindle fast, and farmland would most likely be destroyed through stupidity causing the shortage to be more acute.

Thankfully I'm a diabetic who would go into a diabetic coma sooner, rather than later, with death soon to follow. I don't worry about SHTF situations because I'll be dead. It's nice not having to worry about the zombie apocalypse.

.22 mag
    12 ga. (00 buck)
    Diddle likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links