Army Sniper(Surviving The Cut Show)

This is a discussion on Army Sniper(Surviving The Cut Show) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was watching the show the other night and they had over 1/2 the class fail to pass the course,what was interesting was two of ...

I was watching the show the other night and they had over 1/2 the class fail to pass the course,what was interesting was two of the guys were flunked during a shooting exercise and they both made the same mistake,after shooting and a miss they had 10 seconds to recalculate and fire a second shot,on the second shot you hear a distinctive "click",both shooters short cycled their rifle bolts that ejected the spent round but failed to pick up a fresh round and they closed the bolt on an empty chamber,a potentially fatal error and or missed opportunity in either SD or hunting scenario
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Tough rules in a game with no second chances. One wonders what talent was lost because of a simple mistake.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

that was a pretty interesting show i wish i would have seen that it was on earlier in the night beacuse i missed the first half but even the ones that failed are still a very talented shooters and will probably be back in the future to try to get in again.

I watched it too and found it very interesing. I was surprised that 2 individuals both short cycled the bolt and both failed. While it seems like a harsh penalty to fail as many people as they did for one mistake (stalking, final shot, etc.), the alternative for the individuals could be much worse if they were allowed to pass the course and made a similar error in a combat environment. They could easily end up "failing" permanently. By having to repeat the entire course, if they so choose and are allowed, they will certainly learn from their errors and become better snipers in the long run.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Tough rules in a game with no second chances. One wonders what talent was lost because of a simple mistake.
    I don't think the lost talent, they probably got a chance to cycle through again... if the soldier wants it enough, he'll do it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I don't think the lost talent, they probably got a chance to cycle through again... if the soldier wants it enough, he'll do it.
    A recycle in the military depends on the school. In many of the "elite" military schools it's one try only, unless there are special circumstances, those also depend on the school. There are a couple that you don't know if you "passed" till the course is complete, and there are some courses where the attrition rate is higher than 2/3s of the starting students.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    A recycle in the military depends on the school. In many of the "elite" military schools it's one try only, unless there are special circumstances, those also depend on the school. There are a couple that you don't know if you "passed" till the course is complete, and there are some courses where the attrition rate is higher than 2/3s of the starting students.
    Not knowing if you passed until the end is tough; I imagine it has to pretty much be the ultimate soul crusher. Sapper school is like that I believe.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Administrator
    Yeah, I know. My main point is that the talent isn't lost. If they are good, he'll get another shot at it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Actually IIRC one of the students that failed the course at the end of the show there was an addon that he later passed the course,so they do have the chance to retry and it would probably have to do with what they failed at
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I've seen troops who recycled the 9th ID Sniper School in Vietnam. One of the Recycles was one of the better snipers I ever saw in Vietnam. He was good in the Field and a Fairly Good Shot.

Too much Hollywood this day and time.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    Not knowing if you passed until the end is tough; I imagine it has to pretty much be the ultimate soul crusher. Sapper school is like that I believe.
    It is. I didn't realize that until I saw the Sapper Leadership Course on the Military Channel once. It was odd seeing Ft. Lost in the Woods again.

I watched the Marine Sniper show the other day, very interesting. I missed the Army Sniper one, it was on tonight but I decided to go pull up a tree and forgot to DVR it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Links