Boy Scout Leader Jailed for Bullet in Fanny Pack

This is a discussion on Boy Scout Leader Jailed for Bullet in Fanny Pack within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It’s unclear how the bullet was not detected by security at Kansas City International Airport and in Nassau. I forget which news report I saw ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Boy Scout Leader Jailed for Bullet in Fanny Pack

VIP Member
    It’s unclear how the bullet was not detected by security at Kansas City International Airport and in Nassau.
    I forget which news report I saw but they brought up that TSA had had 6000+ security breaches, seems quite clear how it was missed.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    "Spanky

…and there are non-metallic guns which can get through metal detectors…
    July 20, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Reply | Report comment
    Wayne in NH

Really? A non-metallic gun? And what manufacturer makes that? I think you’ve watched too many movies….."

Wasn't the the 'original' Glock 7 ceramic, and therefore "undetectable"?

"RLA Bruce

Since the explosion within the shell-casing isn’t confined by the receiver of a firearm, action/reaction says the bullet goes one way, but from an unconfined explosion and NOT rifled by a barrel and just tumbling, and the shell goes the other way, at speeds that harm no one. Ask any fireman in a burning house with weapons and ammo. Or do your own experiment: put a round in a fire. You get the bang, but no deadly shot going anywhere."

This, I think, is why people scare me- STUPID. I think every 'in case of fire' safety warning I've seen involving ammo says to basically STAY THE HELL AWAY because the shrapnel is potentially lethal. Some have said up to 1.5 miles. Who else sees a Darwin Award in this guys future? Hopefully his wife/children won't be around when it happens.
    -----------------------------
    This is why I don't like people; look at some of these comments made by people about the story. "I don't fly because of the TSA" in response "stop being a coward". ?????? Really??
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    This, I think, is why people scare me- STUPID. I think every 'in case of fire' safety warning I've seen involving ammo says to basically STAY THE HELL AWAY because the shrapnel is potentially lethal. Some have said up to 1.5 miles. Who else sees a Darwin Award in this guys future? Hopefully his wife/children won't be around when it happens.
    Ammunition in a fire poses no safety hazard unless there are large quantities involved. Back in the 1940s General Julian Hatcher conducted many experiments using 45ACP and 12 Ga ammo deliberately cooked off with either a hotplate or a resistance welder. A cardboard box was placed over each round as it was heated; the shrapnel barely penetrated the first layer of paper. This is from “Hatchers Notebook” third edition pp531-540. The bullets flying and ricocheting about looks good in the movies but in real life never happens.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The ammo case may go flying a bit, but the piece of lead will remain close to the place it cooks off.

Once or twice a year when cleaning up at deer camp we move some tables and rake under an awning where we shoot from. All the leaves, grass, shell casing and live rounds that happen to be mixed in with it all go into the fire pit. No one has ever been injured, nor has much of anything been expelled very far from the 4x4 fire ring. Embers probably make it the farthest.

It gets your attention, but that is about as bad as it gets.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Oh my gawwwd... I shudder to think! He'd be thrown in a dungeon and left to rot until he was an old man if it happened in Jersey! They are a bunch of pin-heads in Jersey.
    No. You guys have it all wrong. He'd be thrown in the sewer with the alligators...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Just an FYI, MCI does not us the TSA for security. They are a private security company.

Quote Originally Posted by jetlinker View Post
    Just an FYI, MCI does not us the TSA for security. They are a private security company.
    I did not know that... But then again, I haven't flown since 9/11. I'd just as soon drive and enjoy the scenery. Even at today's gas prices, the cost to drive hasn't been more expensive than flying. It's just a matter of the speed getting to the destination.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I go through there about once a week. They way it's set up is kind of nice with security basically at the gate. Usually they seem like a fairly attentive lot, I guess every now and then something sneaks through.

Quote Originally Posted by jetlinker View Post
    I go through there about once a week. They way it's set up is kind of nice with security basically at the gate. Usually they seem like a fairly attentive lot, I guess every now and then something sneaks through.
    Well Kudo's for Kansas City for sticking with private industry and not jumping on the TSA bandwagon. They get my vote for that alone.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Ammunition in a fire poses no safety hazard unless there are large quantities involved. Back in the 1940s General Julian Hatcher conducted many experiments using 45ACP and 12 Ga ammo deliberately cooked off with either a hotplate or a resistance welder. A cardboard box was placed over each round as it was heated; the shrapnel barely penetrated the first layer of paper. This is from “Hatchers Notebook” third edition pp531-540. The bullets flying and ricocheting about looks good in the movies but in real life never happens.
    Ok. I can happily admit when I'm wrong; all I've had to go off of is warning labels. But, I'm afraid you'll have to excuse me for not trying it for myself.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    At least they let him go. Imagine it was a hollow point and he was in Jersey.
    He would be let go in NJ also, just 5 - 7 years later.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I was at the shooting range a day before I took a flight to Canada,as I was checking in at registration I reached in my change pocket for something and discovered a round of 223 I had put in my pocket.Counter lady called LEO he showed up I explained situation and even showed him my CHL ,he said I'm gonna have to confiscate the cartridge and I said no problem thanks.I am just glad it wasn't at the TSA screening area.I learned that whenever I fly I will physically lay anything going in my pockets out in plain sight and not just transfer from one pair of pants to another without looking
    Sir, have your pants been out of your possession, or has anyone placed anything inside your pants that you are not aware of?
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links