Got some money....now what?!

This is a discussion on Got some money....now what?! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, long story short... My brother is currently driving my little beat up Ford Ranger around. A lady backed up her car into the passenger ...

Thread: Got some money....now what?!

So, long story short... My brother is currently driving my little beat up Ford Ranger around. A lady backed up her car into the passenger side of the truck about 2 weeks ago. It was in a parking lot and no one was hurt.
    My truck=my payout for the damage. The damage was minimal and didn't effect the use of the door.

So, $1,250 later.... I want a gun.

I am unsure of what I should get. I don't NEED to spend the whole 1200 and don't really intend to.
    I have been eyeing
    Romanian PSL
    Remington 700
    Saiga 12

My wife has expressed interest in getting her own handgun so I am also considering that. She is fond of the Ruger LCR and she loves the little Chiappa Rhino 2" (I know, one was just sold on here like 2 weeks ago... )

Bottom line: I do not NEED anything. I have my EDC (G19) I have a smaller EDC for work. I have a fun AK... and sawed-off home defense shotty. I have just been itching for another toy since my G19 came in.
    Other than give you the money What would you guys do and why?

If I were married, I would get the wife a gun to justify getting myself a gun at the same time. On your list, I would go for the PSL or the Saiga. On my list (from a single guy's perspective), I would go for a Daniel Defense M4v3 or a Thompson.

A good quality .22 handgun can't be beat. If you got a nice Browning Buckmark, Ruger Mark III, or even a classic Smith & Wesson Model 17 K-22 revolver you'd have so much fun and gain so much in shooting skills, all will doing it on on such a little cash outlay for ammunition, that you will wonder how you ever got along without a .22 pistol.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Is that sawed off a legal SBS? Cant go wrong with a good 22 or 1911.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Jwhite...Well, it is technically not a SBS. Its an old pump that the stock fell off of. Barrel was cut at legal length (18in.) and the pistol grip I have on it makes it exactly 28In. you want a Pic? lets see what I can find....

Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
    "Short-barrel firearm" means a rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches or a shotgun with a barrel length of less than 18 inches, or any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle if, as altered, it has an overall length of less than 26 inches.
    Sec. 46.05. PROHIBITED WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:
    (1) an explosive weapon;
    (2) a machine gun;
    (3) a short-barrel firearm;

---------

What about a .22 mag revolver? Is that just a glorified .22LR? Worth it or just go with the LR?

Hi Ianator;

I used to not be a fan of the .22 Magnum at all. I grew up around one as my dad has both a scoped .22 Magnum bolt action rifle and a keen little Colt New Frontier with both .22 LR and .22 Magnum cylinders. It is an effective cartridge against all the run of Texas varmints and critters but certainly not as economical as the .22 Long Rifle. I once shot a coyote with my dad's rifle at a little over 100 yards as he was running directly away from me and it settled his hash most effectively, the bullet entering to the left of the root of his tail and exiting the front of his chest. The coyote was one of a pair that were catching the ducks off of my parent's stock tank one cold snowy winter's day when the tank was frozen over.

I've gone from thinking little of the .22 Magnum to liking it better than all these .17 rim fires that have proliferated in more recent years. The .22 Magnum fired from a revolver checks out over the chronograph to render velocities about equivalent to the best high-velocity .22 Long Rifle ammunition when fired from a rifle. That ain't bad handgun performance.

My only complaint is that .22 Magnum is a costly rim fire round to shoot when compared with the .22 Long Rifle. A part of the beauty of the .22 Long Rifle is its economy. The .22 Long Rifle is great in revolvers too. I love to hunt rabbits and squirrels with a Smith & Wesson .22 Long Rifle revolver I have. It is deadly against small game. The better .22 Long Rifle loadings are probably more accurate than the .22 Magnum offerings too.

It is possible to purchase revolvers with interchangeable cylinders so that one may shoot both cartridges from one revolver. There is no convertible .22 rifle though and one is stuck with either/or.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I'd go with a nice Saiga, have it converted to AK style, then with whats left over get the wifey an LCR
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member
    Me, I'd get a second Glock 19 that you can mess with. Stiple it, put some cool sights on it, mess with triggers, etc. Just a fun range gun. And it would relate to your edc, so nothing wasted there, you could think of it as the proving ground for changes to your edc.

And holsters, I have a major jones for holsters. Get a really cool custom one that you have been lusting after. And some neat new mag carriers for your edc's.

How about some super extended mags for the Glocks?

And, a nice little gun related gift for the wife. :)

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    How about a couples training class for a weekend - and put her up in a nice hotel for the night(s)?

I'm, looking at some training videos, and all I can think of is how nice it would be to have some backup, to have my partner beside me in a moment of need. But alas, I know my wife will be there doing all the other right things - I just can't count on another gun, until my daughter gets old enough.....

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Give me the money anyway?
    -----------------

Get a safe? Or load up on ammo? You can probably pick up a 22lr/22mag pocket pistol as a BUG and A LOT of ammo.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

And holsters, I have a major jones for holsters. Get a really cool custom one that you have been lusting after. And some neat new mag carriers for your edc's.
    I had not thought of this. This is a good Idea.
    How about some super extended mags for the Glocks?
    I've got one of these! 33rds. Picked it up fro 10 bucks at a gun show and it works FLAWLESSLY. :)

bmc: Thanks! I have heard little and experienced even less with the .22mag and it is nice to hear a real opinion on the round.

VIP Member
    I like BMC's suggestion.

Although, I've been thinking that instead of more firearms, I'm going to start upgrading to trijicon night sights on some of my favorite handguns.

I'd buy a new truck so I'm not driving a ford (then mount a .50 in the back )
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Sponsored Links