How do I shorten a front sight cross pin?

This is a discussion on How do I shorten a front sight cross pin? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay Junior Gunsmiths, I have a question. I've replaced a front sight on an SP101 and I'm getting ready to do it again. I know...again ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By INccwchris

Thread: How do I shorten a front sight cross pin?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

How do I shorten a front sight cross pin?

Okay Junior Gunsmiths, I have a question. I've replaced a front sight on an SP101 and I'm getting ready to do it again. I know...again but for a good reason

Anyway, I've learned that the OEM sight pin is actually about a 1/16 too long. As best I can tell, when they install the front sight at the factory they then buff the barrel and end up grinding the end off the pin on both size. The ruger uses a roll pin, not a solid one.

So here I come and stick in an OEM pin and it protrudes enought on each side; enough to scratch the inside of my holster.

I have an electronic caliber so here's my plan. Measure the top of the barrel and then put the new pin (yes, I have a spare ) in a vise and trim it just a bit with a dremel cut off wheel. then try to barely round the tip where I cut.

Put it in the gun/sight and then take some 400 or 600 grit and sand, then buff to high polish like the rest of the gun already is.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks
    Gideon

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    That'll work but its the hard and long way to do it. I'd just grind it on a bench grinder and be done with it..takes about a minute.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    If you have any CRATEX wheels for your Dremel you can get the pin close on the grinder or with your cut-off wheel then drive in the pin leaving it protruding just a hair on both sides and blend it perfectly flush right on the firearm with a fine grit appropriately shaped CRATEX.

Sometimes you can buy them separately at a hobby shop but, usually you have to buy an assortment pack and they are not cheap so you might not want to spend that kind of $$$ just for a single small pin.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    with a left handed pin shifter
    Nmuskier likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Some good advise. I'm assuming the pin is softer than the stainless of the barrel so the cratex can grind down the roll pin flush with the stainless without taking off any of the stainless....right?

Thanks for the help

not sure what a left handed pin shifter is ?

I just get the pin flush on one side then mark the pretruding pin on the other side with a sharpie. Then I tap it back out, cut the marked end with my dikes and square it with a file.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    its similar to a left handed smoke shifter
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member

Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Top Strap View Post
    I just get the pin flush on one side then mark the pretruding pin on the other side with a sharpie. Then I tap it back out, cut the marked end with my dikes and square it with a file.
    Any reason not to use the original pin? I do realize this is an old post, but new to this stuff.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Another option, involving less machining, would be to go to a good hardware store or Grainger and get the proper length roll pin. Just sayin.....
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    its similar to a left handed smoke shifter
    He really needs a standard Cowsay.

Links