Gee, did you know about these 5 myths?

This is a discussion on Gee, did you know about these 5 myths? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I guess there may be a few people who watch movies for all their info about life... This is sort of interesting 5 Ridiculous Gun ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By claude clay
  • 1 Post By Rollo

Thread: Gee, did you know about these 5 myths?

Gee, did you know about these 5 myths?

I guess there may be a few people who watch movies for all their info about life...
    This is sort of interesting
    5 Ridiculous Gun Myths Everyone Believes (Thanks to Movies) | Cracked.com

I especially like the one about racking the slide. It cracks me up to see some guy holding a person at gunpoint for 3-4 minutes and THEN racking his slide to chamber a round...

2. Remove Ads

This is clever and hilarious in places.

I know about the myths because I didn't receive my firearms education from Hollywood. I love firearms and shooting sports as a hobby but loathe any sort of action film involving firearms for this very reason and that includes the much revered "Dirty Harry" series (and I even have a Smith & Wesson Model 29 .44 Magnum). The posturing with firearms and the destruction wrought with them is preposterous. I've only ever liked a few historically based "war movies" that make use of firearms.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    It always cracked me up when you would see them put a "silencer" on a revolver. The movie "Magnum Force" comes to mind.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    for all the various stuff we shot at my range, hard drives ( they are) ...the most fun are bowling pins.

suppose you drilled a hole through the pins' head and made a loop of leather; now hanging that around your neck will do 2 things--

--stop even a 44 and

--the sight of you wearing it will keep most people from approaching you.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I love the film "The Sting" but there's a bit within it where a female guard assigned to protect Johnny Hooker (Robert Redford) from Loretta Salino, the woman assassin with whom he'd just spent the night, uses a silenced Colt revolver, either an Army Special or a Official Police to take out Salino just as she's about to pop Johnny. Nice theatrics but not realistic.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

I have to disagree with the articles information on silencers. It greatly depends on the type of gun and the round. I have a friend who has a Walther P22 and a silencer. When using sub-sonic .22LR rounds, that gun makes little more noise than the sound of the slide being racked. Granted, with a 9mm or similar caliber, it is going to be tough to silence it as shown in the movies.

This is not my video, but I think it shows the point..

They left out my favorite - Being able to run at a full sprint and hit people one handed 100 yards away on a rooftop in the dark of night with a handgun. Kinda the exact opposite of a storm trooper.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    They left out my favorite - Being able to run at a full sprint and hit people one handed 100 yards away on a rooftop in the dark of night with a handgun. Kinda the exact opposite of a storm trooper.
    Yeah, I always wished to be able to shoot that well.

Now I just wish I could run at full sprint for 100 yards.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Yea or riding a horse at full gallop, and reach back and shoot an Indian of off another running horse with a handgun 100 yards away...oops, should I have said "Native american"
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Yea or riding a horse at full gallop, and reach back and shoot an Indian of off another running horse with a handgun 100 yards away...oops, should I have said "Native american"
    There are plenty of trick shooters who do this on a regular basis (albeit at shorter distances). Goes to show, with practice, it is very possible.

Links